Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help - Rear Brake Caliper Slide Pin Seized

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-11, 08:37 AM
domnf15
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help - Rear Brake Caliper Slide Pin Seized

Hi All,

Hope I'm posting in the right place - I need some advice/guidance. My 2006 IS250 AWD needed new rear brake pads, I bought the stock pads and replaced the driver side with no issues. When I got to the passenger side, I found that the lower slide pin (the one that's kinda built into the caliper and doesn't have an obvious way to be removed) seems to be seized, preventing me from installing the thicker outer brake pad. Has anyone else come across this issue, and if so, what did you do to get that slide pin moving again? I'm not looking for an answer like "go buy a new caliper"...although if that pin is not serviceable, I understand that may be the only solution. I do know there was a TSB/recall for the driver side rear caliper, which was replaced. Should the other side have been replaced under recall as well? Any useful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-01-11, 09:08 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Try using a punch and a small hammer...place the punch on the stuck pin (the side facing the car), and start lightly hitting the punch increasing in force until it starts moving...easiest when the caliper is still bolted on...I always clean the slide pins on a wire wheel before re-installation...

Hope that helps...GL
Old 01-01-11, 01:48 PM
domnf15
Driver School Candidate

Well part of the issue is that neither end of the pin is exposed, it screws into the caliper on both sides, and the only visible part is the middle which is covered with the dust boot - I wish I had a pic but I don't want to disassemble everything again...any thoughts/ideas?
Old 01-02-11, 11:57 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Same thing happened to me while changing out my pads. What I did was use some penetrating oil and let it soak for a few hours. Then use a punch and hammer it out. If it doesn't work then use a torch and heat it up, but don't let it get too hot or it will alter the metal. Once you heat it up a bit use a punch and hammer it out. You should also check all 4 of your calipers. When I did my brake job I did all 4, both front and rear on the driver side was seized. Hope that helps.
Old 01-03-11, 10:56 AM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres a tsb on this issue, got it fixed for free
Old 01-04-11, 10:24 AM
Peter55
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - Could someone please post some info or a link on the recall? I'm having similar prob and can't find reference to it. Many thanks.
Old 01-09-11, 07:38 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was replacing all of my brake pads today. The fronts went in without a problem, but unfortuntely, I ran into the same problem with the rear pads. I'm not sure if the driver's side is the same way. I was working on the passenger side and wasn't able to get the new outer side pad in. Since I was working on this at someone else's house, I ended up having to put the old pads back in until I can figure out what to do. Luckily my pads still have some "meat" on them.
Old 01-10-11, 08:15 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

There's a safety campaign for this issue. Might be able to get it replaced for free outside of warranty since its a safety issue.
Old 01-10-11, 08:22 PM
lexusis305
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tsib covers it if you under warranty. and if it was dine before its still coverd parts warranty
Old 01-12-11, 09:06 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Call dealer and ask about SSC-9LB for rear caliper slide pin. See if there is a warranty limit on it...like do you need to be under 4 year/50k miles or is it indefinate due to safety.
Old 01-13-11, 05:41 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I called Lexus corporate regarding this to see if they would do anything about this since I am out our warranty. After checking my records, it turns out, they already took care of SSC 9LB, which entails replacing the dust boots, when they did the fuel rail and steering rack recalls (9LA and 9LC). They told me that even though I'm out of warranty, they still give me a 1 year warranty on the work, they performed, so I'm going to give me local dealer a call to see what they say.

However I wonder if they even did anything at all. I know for a fact they didn't replace the calipers, and if they did replace the dust boots, they obviously didn't make a difference as the slide pin still seized up.
Old 01-17-11, 10:13 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I brought my car into the dealership in hopes that they would cover the seized rear calipers under warranty as there was an SSC on the dust boots that was supposed to prevent this problem in the first place. They called me back and said that it will not be covered as they performed that inspection a year and a half ago. They want $1100 to replace both rear calipers!! They said that this repair will now be covered by a lifetime warranty, they offer on all repairs they do. Unfortunately at that price, it looks like I'm going to pay for that warranty.
Old 01-17-11, 07:57 PM
305is350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^Hey try another dealership, that $$ doesn't sound right for just two rear calipers.
Old 01-18-11, 06:02 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I'm going to just do the repair myself (which I guess I should have done in the first place). Sewell sells the calipers for $200 each.
Old 03-27-19, 04:37 AM
domnf15
Driver School Candidate

That's a good fix. I sold my IS250 a couple years ago but I think I wound up replacing the caliper when this happened, at the time I had a friend who worked for Lexus and I was able to get the new part pretty cheap. I did use your method on my brother in law's 99 Camaro SS front brakes although for that car the pins were on the caliper bracket and it was a lot easier to just remove the bracket and apply heat with a propane torch.

Quick Reply: Help - Rear Brake Caliper Slide Pin Seized