Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Second Generation > Suspension and Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LS400 brake caliper swap !!caution!!

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-10, 05:53 PM   #1
breadbeat
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 248
Default LS400 brake caliper swap !!caution!!

This may have been covered before , but I just wanted to post some detailed pics and give a word of caution to anybody who is doing the LS400 caliper swap on the GS without RCA,s (unfortunately I discovered what RCA is after this problem). If you are doing this without RCA you will have to grind down a portion of the caliper itself as well as the nut on the tie-rod. Neither of these is a good thing but it can be made to work if you are very careful. However there is a fine line between success and grinding a hole right into the fluid reservoir of the caliper. So the following pictures is what happened after a friend encouraged me to "stop being pu$$y and grind it like a man"


Click the image to open in full size.


Click the image to open in full size.



Click the image to open in full size.



Click the image to open in full size.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
breadbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 06:03 PM   #2
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: va
Posts: 541
Default

i hope you made him buy you a new caliper!
__________________
2001 GS430

"You removed my post, and proved one thing...I was right, you're weak. I appreciate the light you shined on that point."

benbuilt4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 06:42 PM   #3
5t341th
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (15)
 
5t341th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal (Huntington Beach)
Posts: 2,572
Send a message via AIM to 5t341th
Default

should have searched before u did the mod, right?
__________________

2000 Millennium Silver GS300
ride low, die hard
5t341th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 06:57 PM   #4
breadbeat
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5t341th View Post
should have searched before u did the mod, right?
Yeah, Stupid me. Search is your friend ,right?
breadbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 07:00 PM   #5
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (13)
 
geeznuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: nevada
Posts: 1,223
Default

that sucks!!!
__________________
geeznuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 07:41 PM   #6
breadbeat
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbuilt4u View Post
i hope you made him buy you a new caliper!
Well my trash talking friend had completed the swap before on his GS and diddnt have any problems. So after me doing a tedious grind,test fit ,grind,test fit for half an hour I started to get a little frustrated and gave in to his heckling. I dont blame him I just should have trusted my better judgement.
I came across a pic of the same situation but it was buried in a thread and hard to find and without very good pics. Just wanted to make a easy to find thread that has the word "caution" in it and that has pictures up front and that also mentions the RCA option instead of grinding things. Anyway Im new to this forum and thought this might help someone to not make the same mistake.
breadbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 07:46 PM   #7
aloysius
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NSW
Posts: 24
Default

darn it.
aloysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 09:04 PM   #8
Mr Jokster
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (8)
 
Mr Jokster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 4,821
https://www.facebook.com/nathaniel.alaniz.58
Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Jokster
Default

Get it welded shut and start over
__________________


Drag car:
~650WHP 2003 Grand Prix (yes, its front wheel drive can you dig!?)
http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...ad.php?t=36212
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3E7xkQqpKs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs400rpg View Post
Mr Jokster : Perfect example of 22's done right IMO
Mr Jokster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-10, 12:02 AM   #9
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer
Trader Score: (4)
 
RMMGS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: California
Posts: 8,607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadbeat View Post
Yeah, Stupid me. Search is your friend ,right?
Tough Lesson. The LS400 fitment threads have been covered for years and years.

The GS is 12 years old and I've been on this section for 9 of them. There's almost NOTHING that has not been covered on these forums. Many basic topics like this have been covered over and over and over.

If you wonder why you may not get a wealth of replies to ANY question you may have it's because people get tired of the same old questions. So what typically happens is a noobie will help another noobie who probably searched and is quoting something that someone posted years ago.

ADVANCED SEARCH is your friend.
__________________
All in the Family
RMMGS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-10, 12:53 AM   #10
wcgorillaz
Driver
Trader Score: (1)
 
wcgorillaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ca
Posts: 114
Send a message via Yahoo to wcgorillaz
Default

Thanks for the info.. Search buttom dont work on my phone samsung vibrant..
wcgorillaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-10, 02:42 AM   #11
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!
Trader Score: (33)
 
PHML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waikele, HI
Posts: 9,860
Peter H. M. Lee
Send a message via MSN to PHML
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadbeat View Post
This may have been covered before , but I just wanted to post some detailed pics and give a word of caution to anybody who is doing the LS400 caliper swap on the GS without RCA,s (unfortunately I discovered what RCA is after this problem). If you are doing this without RCA you will have to grind down a portion of the caliper itself as well as the nut on the tie-rod. Neither of these is a good thing but it can be made to work if you are very careful. However there is a fine line between success and grinding a hole right into the fluid reservoir of the caliper. So the following pictures is what happened after a friend encouraged me to "stop being pu$$y and grind it like a man"
Sucks that it happened...but Im glad you posted up your mistake...so others can learn from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMMGS4 View Post
Tough Lesson. The LS400 fitment threads have been covered for years and years.

The GS is 12 years old and I've been on this section for 9 of them. There's almost NOTHING that has not been covered on these forums. Many basic topics like this have been covered over and over and over.

If you wonder why you may not get a wealth of replies to ANY question you may have it's because people get tired of the same old questions. So what typically happens is a noobie will help another noobie who probably searched and is quoting something that someone posted years ago.

ADVANCED SEARCH is your friend.
Well said...but searching requires using the proper keywords...which many have no clue about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcgorillaz View Post
Thanks for the info.. Search buttom dont work on my phone samsung vibrant..
Get on a computer.
PHML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-10, 03:32 AM   #12
Mr Jokster
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (8)
 
Mr Jokster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 4,821
https://www.facebook.com/nathaniel.alaniz.58
Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Jokster
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHML View Post
Well said...but searching requires using the proper keywords...which many have no clue about.
absolutely! There's been a few instances where I knew that its been spoken of before and have read it, but couldnt for the life of me figure out the correct terminology or proper quote to use in search feature.
__________________


Drag car:
~650WHP 2003 Grand Prix (yes, its front wheel drive can you dig!?)
http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...ad.php?t=36212
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3E7xkQqpKs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs400rpg View Post
Mr Jokster : Perfect example of 22's done right IMO
Mr Jokster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-10, 09:18 AM   #13
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (171)
 
sakataj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: tenn
Posts: 15,413
Sakataj
Send a message via Yahoo to sakataj
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadbeat View Post
Click the image to open in full size.
i'll buy that from you...i need some of the bolts out of it...mine go to powdercoating soon and 2 of my bolts are ruined
__________________


FOR ALL YOU LOWBALLERS THIS IS HOW I FEEL:
http://www.modified.com/editors/modp...ors/index.html
sakataj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-10, 03:21 PM   #14
4drferio
Pole Position
Trader Score: (-1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ca
Posts: 219
Default

go0od info!!!
4drferio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-10, 06:35 PM   #15
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (14)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: MN
Posts: 3,080
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadbeat View Post
Well my trash talking friend had completed the swap before on his GS and diddnt have any problems. So after me doing a tedious grind,test fit ,grind,test fit for half an hour I started to get a little frustrated and gave in to his heckling. I dont blame him I just should have trusted my better judgement.
I came across a pic of the same situation but it was buried in a thread and hard to find and without very good pics. Just wanted to make a easy to find thread that has the word "caution" in it and that has pictures up front and that also mentions the RCA option instead of grinding things. Anyway Im new to this forum and thought this might help someone to not make the same mistake.

Sorry to see that! I did mine the same tedious way you started out for fear of this very thing happening, had seen it mentioned somewhere in my research. Took quite a bit of time and effort and the grinding is less than ideal but I've been driving on them for a year without any issues.

Welcome to CL BTW!
Kyle Harty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-10, 06:35 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new F neloner IS F 18 04-30-13 06:08 PM
CAUTION.....LS400 caliper grinding PHML GS - First Generation 32 04-22-13 06:44 AM
Modified stock body 2GS Pic request breadbeat GS - Second Generation 32 01-17-12 12:16 AM
cinnabar GS picture breadbeat GS - Second Generation 51 08-22-11 12:09 AM
My GS300 Intro jegMAN GS - Second Generation 21 08-03-11 10:13 PM


Tags
400, boosheet, brake, caliper, calipers, chrome, grind, gs, is300, ls, ls400, ls430, swap, swapping, upgrade

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:26 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info