Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TEIN FLEX/Group brake buy and my review

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-02, 12:09 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TEIN FLEX/Group brake buy and my review

Just had my tein flex coilcovers and TRD LCB installed. I had to remove my TRD STB for the tein’s to fit. I went from one extreme (horrible stock setup) to the other extreme (tein flex coils). Unfortunately, I never got to sample or drive around with something in between (L-tuned, or Bilstein) and therefore I had nothing to compare them too.

Since, the dampening setting from the factory on tein are set to 16 (Hardest setting possible), they were installed like this by default. I picked up my car and planned to drive straight to work (35 miles) keeping it on the hardest setting. I expected they would be very very firm. I was pleasantly surprised that they were not as hard as I expected them too be. The car has completely changed in the handling department. I have about a finger length distance in the back and 1.5 finger lengths in the front. Got to about 100mph and did some quick lane changes and it felt very very very good. Lets just say, there is no way in hell I could of done what I was doing with my stock setup. I went over a small bridge were the pavement changes –raises abruptly in height. On the stock setup hitting that at 80mph my car would float up and than dip down. With the new suspension, you hear more of a noise but no float up, just bangs right down. You definitely feel more of the road. The car seems to bounce around over bumpy roads a little too much for my taste, but I think this could be remedied by adjusting the dampening settings to a lesser number. TEIN flex recommends an 8/8 setup vs. 16/16 which I was currently running.

As you all know, whenever you drop a car you need to get a 4 wheel alignment. There was some issues brought to my attention by my mechanic.
He was able to adjust the camber setting on the car to perfectly align the rear wheels. However, on the front wheels, he had more of a problem. The closest he could come to getting them aligned was a +6 on both sides. He said the camber has been maxed out and does not allow for any more adjustment to bring the +6 inwards to 0 ideally. He also adjusted the toe to the best he could but could not get a 0 reading for the front wheels. Although, this number +6 is in the allowable Lexus range, it will eventually wear the inner tires out.

Second issue, was that he notices the tire rod seems to flex upward a bit. By factory specs this should remain horizontal or straight. He says that this will cause a little more under steering than I am use too.

Last issue was the installation of my brakes and the stainless steel line. I got the SS goodridge lines from Steve as part of the group brake buy. When the steering wheel is completely turned left or right, the SS line is almost maxed out to the point that it would have to stretch. I am just worried it does not completely pull out of the caliber or for that matter stretch the brake lines which are not meant to stretch like the rubber ones.

By the way, the brakes are very good. I was trying to “break in” my brakes so no hard braking for 1k miles. While driving to work, I was concentrating too much on my new setup and almost missed my turn. I pressed the brake a little harder to slow it down as not to miss my exit. My tires almost locked up. So yeah, my new brakes are very sensitive especially for hard braking. For normal and light breaking the mushy sensation has gone away I think due to the new SS break lines, and the sensitivity under light/normal braking is very similar to the stock setup. Remember, my brakes are still “breaking in”, I am running the TRD slotted rotors (front and back), EBC green stuff pads, new shim kit, and of course newly painted black stock calipers, with grey caliber stickers. I painted the hubs on the rotors with a gray aluminum caliber paint, since my rotors are not CAD plated.

I will post pictures of my suspension and brake setup tomorrow.

I hope this post helps the guys that are kinda on the fence on what to do and what to upgrade

Also, I will have full reviews of the TRD sways to come in about a week time.
Old 08-07-02, 05:49 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

DrewGS4: Thanx for the info...I am definitely thinking about getting the Tein Flex and I'm glad to hear they are not overly harsh. Is it true that the coilovers will settle some after the install??

I too got the Brake upgrade and noticed that the SS lines are streched when the wheels are fully turned. The lines (I verified this) are longer than the stocks, but the hard plastic sleeves do not flex too much so it looks like they are not long enough. I turned the wheel several times to make damn sure that the line wouldn't pull off. I'm wondering if the new alignment settings on your ride are streching it a bit more?? Just keep an eye on it for a while.

Peace

Old 08-07-02, 06:37 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its too bad no one makes a camber kit.

Can you post of pic of the bent tire rod, I am not sure what it is. Thanks.

Last edited by mcgong; 08-07-02 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-07-02, 07:11 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drew, question.... Why did you have to take your STB off?? My STB's are on there way and on the front my teins they don't look like they have enough thread left to be able to put a STB in.. Is that the reason why you had to take it off???
Old 08-07-02, 08:22 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

mrsypher, I had no way of fitting my front STB as the tein adjustment **** was barely touching the stb. I know during hard corning they would rub and come in contact with each other. I do not want too risk damage to the tein dampening **** as that is more expensive than the STB which I can live without for right now. I might put a hole in the stb to make it fit. It could be that the STB fits and sits diferently in a GS300 vs GS400. I will check out your ride at the NYC meet if I am able to go.

MCGONG- our cars come with camber kit which is usually not the case, but there is no aftermarket company that makes camber kits for the lexus, except for the ES300/camry.
There is one fact for sure, if you lower your car, you will wear the inner tires regardless of what you do. The suspension on stock 17's for the GS is notorious for this problem. For every inch you lower the car, the camber will be +6. TXSTYLE has posted a thread not too long ago regarding this exact same problem. Do as search on camber kit. The only thing that helps but not a complete solution is too fill the tire to about 36 psi in the front and rear, and rotate the tires. Plus if you can afford to get an alignment every 3k miles not too mention the wait time - not in my budget than do that. Personally, I can live with my tires lasting about 15-18k miles. I will just have to replace them with new medicore tires like the TOYO FZ4 or kumho. If you calculate it getting an alignment every 3k miles until 18k will be 6 alignments multiplied by say $100/alignment = $600 bucks. I can get a set of new tires mounted and balanced for $600. I would choose new tires any day rather than taking the trouble and wait time to get an alignment. If you guys have a body kit, than you know how hard it is to get your car on an alignment machine without any damage to the kit. Like the saying goes "IF YOU WANNA PLAY YOU HAVE TO PAY"

GS430lvr - I will most definatley keep an eye out for the SS lines. They were longer than stock as you said, but comes up a bit short with less slack as on the rubber ones.
I am still playing around and adjusting the TEIN settings. If you ever driven a 540i sport or an M5, the suspension is definately stiffer but not unbearable. I think I will be able to play around with the settings to get it to be softer. I will keep you posted. One thing for sure, is that the stock suspension is horrible. If you can afford to do so, get either the bilstein/eibach and for a little extra spring for the coils. Bisltein PSS I hear is pretty good, but there is no way to control the dampening, just the height.
The combination of firmer springs and lowering of the car, "which brings down the car center of gravity by bring the mass down" will bring a smile to your face. Plus it looks very nice and clean. I never lowered a car in my life, and this is the first time. I just love how BMW look when there is barely any gap on their cars, that I think I accomplished the same with mine using the teins.
Old 08-08-02, 01:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

very nice review drew! i will post up my HA review soon too
Old 08-08-02, 11:23 AM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I remember when I installed the Ebachs/Bilstein, there is a screw on the bottom a-arm that adjusts the camber. Whats the tire rod, and if I lower the car, will it bend? Sould I worry about this? Does that have to do with the rack n pinon?

Thanks.

Last edited by mcgong; 08-08-02 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-08-02, 02:52 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Drew, why aren't you sure that your going this Saturday.. We need as much people as possible... GO.....
Old 08-08-02, 09:12 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mrsypher
Drew, why aren't you sure that your going this Saturday.. We need as much people as possible... GO.....
are you guys kidding me? is there some meet way over there too!!?? aaaaaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!
Old 08-09-02, 04:19 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I have 18 holes of golf schuduled at 7:30 am in the morning. Now when I get done with that, I will have to come from central jersey all the way to brooklyn by 1 pm. At least I think that is where you guys are planning on going. I would of just loved to meet up with you guys at lexus of manhattan, but I can understand the traffic and parking issues in NYC. Definately let me know the details of everything.
Old 08-09-02, 02:41 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

DETAILS...... Now it is simple.... After all that confusion and crap all be are doing is meeting up at that park/field in Brooklyn to have a BBQ.... I think we'll be out there all day.... When your done with golf, if you got the energy swing by...