Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

GS430/L Tuned Question

Old 08-08-02, 07:20 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pete, its very easy to install the ECU, No speical tools are needed except the basic... phillips and cross...

When I go home tonight, I'll try to find a paper copy that I print out.

Try the advance search function with L-Tuned ECU install?

COld Air Intake? SRT all the way...

http://www.swiftracing.com/vehicles/.../intake400.htm

Last edited by Shinchan; 08-08-02 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-08-02, 07:21 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go to www.edmunds.com for information about invoice

ShOwGS
Old 08-08-02, 08:56 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

UTGS400 is correct on wheel choices at L-Tuned; haven't looked in a while.

Gate shifting is manual use of the auto stick. Yes, Pete, the POWER mode is akin to your BMW's SportShift. And "POWER" only affects part throttle applications. At WOT, all shifts are at/close to redline, regardless of tranny mode. The speed of the shifts don't change, either. But there is no change in (engine) valve timing, etc. You get 325 lb-ft and 300 hp no matter what mode you are in. (Hurrah!)
Old 08-10-02, 08:59 PM
NitroShredder
Driver School Candidate

Wouldn't shifting the "gears" manually with the stick (instead of an E-Shift) mess with the tranmission?

Just wondering...

Pete
Old 08-10-02, 10:06 PM
Guru
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Shinchan
Suspension upgrade: Tein Flex. You should be able to retain some lux feel of the car with the softest setting. Couple CL member should be able to verify that statement. Plus you can adjust the height of the car. That wheel gap is rediculous... sorry guys with L-Tuned.. still to high. With Tein, you could adjust the car to the height you want.
Now the HA and the Flex have been mentioned (HA being discontinued soon). Why no one has mentioned the excellent CS is beyond me. Very comfortable to keep the wife happy, special upper mounts to minimize noise and full alluminum for less unsprung weight and greater corrosion resistance plus fully height and damper adjustable. MUCH nicer than the HA and more in line with the purpose of the car I think. If you want something aimed more sport than comfort I'd go for the RA setup which adds a bigger piston shaft, alluminum shock body and nitride treated piston shaft among other things.
Old 08-10-02, 10:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally posted by Guru

Now the HA and the Flex have been mentioned (HA being discontinued soon). Why no one has mentioned the excellent CS is beyond me. Very comfortable to keep the wife happy, special upper mounts to minimize noise and full alluminum for less unsprung weight and greater corrosion resistance plus fully height and damper adjustable. MUCH nicer than the HA and more in line with the purpose of the car I think. If you want something aimed more sport than comfort I'd go for the RA setup which adds a bigger piston shaft, alluminum shock body and nitride treated piston shaft among other things.
i thought flex is the replacement for CS?
Old 08-10-02, 10:46 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey rominal,

talked to tein rep at the meet today, and he told me that flex will replace HA here in the US...they will also add SS(only for US) to the line..CS is still their comfort series....saw the demo units today..really like the CS(about the same price as the flex)...

if my budget allows, i would also consider HKS hyper max II.....
Old 08-11-02, 03:34 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Pete, gateshifting is no harder on the transmission than allowing the ECU to think and shift for you.

And the GS lost E-shift in the transition from 400 to 430, purportedly because Lexus didn't have time to certify the bigger motor with E-shift as ULEV. However, we're about to be in the third model year of GS430 and there is still no E-shift (plenty of time by now, I'd think), so I dunno.
Old 08-11-02, 11:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally posted by gs4will
hey rominal,

talked to tein rep at the meet today, and he told me that flex will replace HA here in the US...they will also add SS(only for US) to the line..CS is still their comfort series....saw the demo units today..really like the CS(about the same price as the flex)...

if my budget allows, i would also consider HKS hyper max II.....
ah, i thought ss is the replacement of ha. thanks for the info gs4will. though what i still don't understand is, from what i heard ha is much stiffer than the flex, wouldn't it be hard for the flex to replace ha?
Old 08-11-02, 12:10 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HA is a great set up, esp now for the price...but the rep told me that their market research indicates that US market still opt for slightly softer ride(relatively speaking)..so flex was introdued both in japan and us..BUT, the SS line would be very close to flex, in terms of spring rate..the again, i know flex is edfc compatible..forgot to ask about the ss(i believee it is called street system)
Old 08-11-02, 09:15 PM
NitroShredder
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. You are all amazing =)

I'm looking at getting the 430 with the LTuned springs/shocks and the ECU... that should get me closer to "familiar" ground.

Pete
Old 08-11-02, 09:48 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Pete,

Congrats on the car and your first "mods" . Let us know how you like them.
Old 08-12-02, 09:01 AM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Pete.

Sorry I wasn't able to give you a ride...just a busy weekend.

I don't think you or the lady will have any problems with the L-Tuned setup. It is more compliant than a bimmer plus your car will look MUCH better.

I'm not sure how familiar Clear Lake Lexus is with L-Tuned if that is where you are getting the car but I have gotten pretty good service.

I'd also get a breakdown on pricing for the L-Tuned parts. Definitely order from Steve and have them install them if there is a significant difference in materials. Labor should be the same either way.

Anyways, WELCOME and let me know if you need anything.

Ryan

Also, install the steering ECU yourself. Very easy with help from the folks here.
Old 08-12-02, 10:18 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a CL member to another.. reconsider the L-Tuned to Tein Flex. Tein Flex is adjustable to the point same as stock and the height is adjustable. I had my ride setup as Bilstein/Eibach Pro spring.. Like the ride but the height was just too high. Eventually sold it at a great lost and purchased the Tein. I can now adjust the stiffness any time I want. Plus, you Tein Flex, you can install EDFC.. which allows you to adjust the stiffness from inside the car.... that thats better than L-Tuned.
Old 02-19-03, 03:42 PM
LEXGS400
Driver School Candidate

What is EDFC and how much does it cost to get that installed??? im guessing its pretty expensive for one to be able to control the ride height from inside the car....?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GS430/L Tuned Question