Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Supra TT brake upgrade on my 98 GS400

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-02, 08:41 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GS4Will: I hope to see you there! Those were good times (not to mention Globe & Wei too). I was glad to have met you at the previous CL meet! Thanks again for the Bilstein hookup - that was my first mod!

Gunner: Yeah, it's truly amazing what the human body can withstand and survive! Thanks for relating!

Brent
Old 08-05-02, 08:53 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone measure the actual size of that caliper? When you have them install on the car... what is the highest point on that caliper from outter most side? The height of the caliper from the inner most part of the caliper.. take measurement from the surface of the rotor?

Please help!!! I want that upgrade.. but was not getting a clear answer on teh clearance...

Thanks
Old 08-05-02, 09:32 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Shinchan
Can someone measure the actual size of that caliper? When you have them install on the car... what is the highest point on that caliper from outter most side? The height of the caliper from the inner most part of the caliper.. take measurement from the surface of the rotor?

Please help!!! I want that upgrade.. but was not getting a clear answer on teh clearance...

Thanks
Me too! I was told that some people had to shave them just to make it fit!
Old 08-05-02, 10:59 AM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I had to shave a little bit of each caliper (the very inside edges as they were rubgin against the wheel). I had some wheels spacers just in case, but decided to just grind down the caliper a little bit. I mean, there probably isnt room enough for a hair between the caliper and the rim, but at least it clears now. I'll try to take measurements when I go in and get my sway bar link fixed.

Hope you guys didnt mind the crappy paint job on the rotors and calipers. As you'll see later, you can barely see either on them when I have my rims on.
Old 08-05-02, 01:10 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GunnerMac
Martin - Did you do the install yourself? TM is suppose to have mine waiting for me at the meet on Saturday...can't wait to see how much better it brakes and corners with the brake upgrade and sways
SupraTT front caliper, CD rotors, and SS lines= NIGHT and DAY over OEM GS brakes.......no exagerating!!! You will be all smiles!
Old 08-05-02, 02:17 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by MRGS400nSoCali
Yeah, I had to shave a little bit of each caliper (the very inside edges as they were rubgin against the wheel). I had some wheels spacers just in case, but decided to just grind down the caliper a little bit. I mean, there probably isnt room enough for a hair between the caliper and the rim, but at least it clears now. I'll try to take measurements when I go in and get my sway bar link fixed.

Hope you guys didnt mind the crappy paint job on the rotors and calipers. As you'll see later, you can barely see either on them when I have my rims on.
yes, i'd also appreciate info on relevant distances. a whole bunch of searching give some, but not enough info. and also tell us how the shaving was done if you can.

i found JacobT's post where he said the outer-most part of the caliper towards the rim spokes measures 2.75" from the rotor surface.
Old 08-06-02, 10:50 AM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Would you be able to exactly say what is needed for this conversion. To date I've heard varying stories in regards to this update and it seems as you actually did it yourself, so you would know best.

For example, would a 97 Supra TT calipers fit? How about other years like 93.5, 94 etc.

Aside from the caliper, are there any bolts, shims, etc needed.
If shims are needed, are they from SupraTT or are they from the GS4.

The SS lines you got from stillen. Are they from the Supra and are substituting the GS lines or are they special GS SS lines.

The reaon for all of my questions is becasue I believe I can put a really nice package together that exactly resembles the Rod Millen brake kit ugrade for a fraction of the cost. Thanks.

Last edited by Mariusz; 08-06-02 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-06-02, 01:58 PM
RacingAristo

Mariusz,

I'm extremely interested in SupraTT brake upgrade. In fact, I was just talking to Steve earlier today. Please PM or email me about "the stuff". Thanks!
Old 08-06-02, 08:42 PM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

Mariusz,

Here is what is required for the Supra TT brake upgrade:

1. 93 to 98 Supra Twin Turbo Front Calipers
2. 93 to 98 Supra Twin Turbo Front Rotors (either OEM or aftermarkets ones are fine)
3. 93 to 98 Supra Twin Turbo Front Brake Pads (again either OEM or aftermarket ones are fine)
4. If you don't get the Supra calipers straight off a used supra and buy new or remanufactured calipers you'll need a SHIM FIT (metal plates that attach to the back of the brake pads) and a FITTING KIT (pins, springs, and plate that keep the brake pads in the caliper).
5. SS brake lines (you have to use brake lines for a GS) are OPTIONAL, you can use the stock GS lines.
6. Rims that will fit a 93 to 98 Supra Twin Turbo to clear the front calipers.

Note that the Rear Supra TT brakes DO NOT fit the GS. Hope that helps you out.
The following users liked this post:
DefWish (09-18-19)
Old 08-06-02, 09:07 PM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

The SHIM KIT & FITTING KIT are for the Supra TT.
Old 08-06-02, 10:05 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

MRGS400nSoCali, thanks for the response. I can already do a group buy (5+) for the RMM Front brake ugrade kit which comes with front slotted rotors, front and rear SS brake lines, metallic pads and RMM (supra) calipers. It would run approx $850+shipping. I will however try to see if I can get a better deal on the same package. The only difference would be the fact that you would have to paint the calipers. Give me 1-2 days and I will know for sure.

RacingAristo, I will update thi thread as soon as I get some info.
Old 08-07-02, 04:37 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

You guys need to stick with Steve Ganz, he has sold many of these packages.....
Here is the package he offers (but now he offers CD/Slotted rotors, not just CD)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=17962

Here is what I did...it leaves nothing to question......this is a very straight forward install, but there are a few things that require attention to detail to make it perfect.(like it should be ) Hope it helps..
The following is ALL that is required, nothing more...
1-93'-98' SupraTT front calipers
2-Cross-drilled/balanced rotors for SupraTT calipers.
3-Set of four SS braided brake lines specifically measured for the 98+GS using SupraTT calipers.
4-You MUST get BOTH a SupraTT fitting kit and shim kit!
5-Your choice of numerous brake pads... I went with the stock SupraTT pad.....(Way TOOOOO much dust, switched to EBC "Green stuff"!!!)
The one and only modification necessary is to cut a 2x2 inch section out of the edge of the heat/dust shield that surrounds the stock caliper to allow it to clear the Supra caliper.... There is NO reason to remove the entire shield....
Last, you will obviously need brake fluid and I would suggest having the GREEN caliper sandblasted and repainted the color of your choice.(to get rid of the Supra logo as well) RMM only paints over the logo, and it is still visible through their black paint...Tiny

Last edited by tinygs; 08-07-02 at 04:39 AM.
Old 08-07-02, 05:43 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

So if I have GS SS brake lines on the car now they wont fit?

and whats a supra TT fitting kit? And what area did you have to shave down to fit them with your lowenharts?
Old 08-07-02, 08:47 PM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

If you have GS SS Brake lines, you are good to go Mike.

The Supra TT Front Brake Fitting Kit is comprised of:

2 pins that hold the pads in the caliper
1 spring clip that holds these 2 pins from falling out of the caliper
1 retention plate that uses the pins to keep the brake pads from moving side to side

Again, if you are getting your supra calipers off a used supra, you dont have to buy a fitting or shim kit.

As for shaving the calipers.....You have to shave down the inner edges (closest to the center of the rotor) - Hope that makes sense. If I could play around with the picture I would circle where I grinded it down. I'll try to take some pictures and show you using my fingers.
Old 08-07-02, 08:58 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks man and can you take a pic of them with your wheels on?

Quick Reply: Supra TT brake upgrade on my 98 GS400