Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Shaking Steering Wheel 60-70mph

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-10, 07:07 PM
RoboRam12
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phamxOC
my 19s werent balanced incorrectly and shakes at 75-80 and stops at 81. i threw on some is250 wheels that were balanced correctly, and now it rides like a caddy again =) hope that helps
Well from that I can gather two things. Either your 19s are slightly imbalanced, or the stock suspension doesn't like wheels that big.
Old 12-06-10, 09:11 PM
CLGForce
Driver School Candidate

if we're on the subject of wheel balancing, make sure you take it to a reputable shop as well. I kept going to the same shop that gave me great deals on the tires w/mount and balancing but every single time I drove off from the shop the steering wheel would shake at freeway speeds. after the 3rd transaction from the same shop, I took the wheels to be rebalanced at another shop that had a new balance machine and the shakes went away. shop owner says that yes the new machine helped but most likley the other shop did not calibrate thier machine properly or was never calibrated at all. IOW, when in doubt get a second opinion.
Old 12-06-10, 10:55 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Newchapter
Bad caster bushing likely. Climb underneath and look at it.
Where is the caster bushing located?
Old 12-06-10, 11:55 PM
CLGForce
Driver School Candidate

post #72

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...d-facts-5.html
Old 12-07-10, 05:13 AM
raceforgt
Rookie

Originally Posted by sakataj
well why is it others have fixed it? including myself? its a conspiracy theory i tell you
well then I, along with many others, would like to know how you fixed it because like myself they have spent thousands and still have the problem. so please, enlighten us.
to all others mentioning balancing issues, I had 3 different shops (all reputable) do their own balancing and it came back perfect. these are also new wheels/tires so this is not the issue.
Old 12-07-10, 08:28 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by raceforgt
well then I, along with many others, would like to know how you fixed it because like myself they have spent thousands and still have the problem. so please, enlighten us.
to all others mentioning balancing issues, I had 3 different shops (all reputable) do their own balancing and it came back perfect. these are also new wheels/tires so this is not the issue.
well i, along with many others did MOST of the same things you did plus more....

alignment
realignment
balance wheels
rebalanced wheels
road force balance
checked rims
adjusted steering rack (or attempted to)
daizen steering rack bushings
daizen sway bar bushings
new tires
checked brake rotors
ball joints
toe links
tie rods
control arms (i think, i dont recall if i did this particular one... it would be in one of the numerous threads we have talked about this issue in had the OP searched)
i think there was more i did but i dont recall

and after all this my shake quit for a LONG time BUT now that my castor arm bushings are showing tears its starting to come back so i bought the daizen control arm bushings and i will be installing these along with my megan coilovers/19" g35 rims,hubcentric rings/spacers probably right before or after christmas
Old 12-07-10, 08:49 AM
raceforgt
Rookie

Originally Posted by sakataj
well i, along with many others did MOST of the same things you did plus more....

alignment
realignment
balance wheels
rebalanced wheels
road force balance
checked rims
adjusted steering rack (or attempted to)
daizen steering rack bushings
daizen sway bar bushings
new tires
checked brake rotors
ball joints
toe links
tie rods
control arms (i think, i dont recall if i did this particular one... it would be in one of the numerous threads we have talked about this issue in had the OP searched)
i think there was more i did but i dont recall

and after all this my shake quit for a LONG time BUT now that my castor arm bushings are showing tears its starting to come back so i bought the daizen control arm bushings and i will be installing these along with my megan coilovers/19" g35 rims,hubcentric rings/spacers probably right before or after christmas

I did several balances and alignments as well, that didn't solve anything. But that's about the shopping list I ran through on mine. Not sure about control arms? Trust me if you had done control arms, you'd know it. That was the ONE thing I wish I hadn't done because it was over a grand parts/labor and it did nothing to help!
I'm not the only one on here that's put all this time/labor/MONEY into their GS with no results. Many report having done the same thing and still have the "shake". So I took their advice and decided to live with it. Not much of a choice since I've exhausted all options.
Old 12-07-10, 09:27 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by raceforgt
I'm not the only one on here that's put all this time/labor/MONEY into their GS with no results. Many report having done the same thing and still have the "shake". So I took their advice and decided to live with it. Not much of a choice since I've exhausted all options.
well then IF you decided not to do control arms then that doesn't mean there isnt a fix, it means you didn't address all the issues so YOU may not have a fix but that doesn't mean there isn't one.....i didnt think you ever did the diazen control arm bushings though

not to mention you missed my point of my original post. you originally said there is NO fix to it this is and that is untrue for the most part (especially when you don't exercise all the options) please dont take this rudely as its not my intent but the last thing the board needs is a noob telling another noob there isn't a fix to this issue there IS a fix to. for the MOST part,most of us have fixed our issue with the daizen castor bushings after we have checked/changing the normal options. i was lucky enough to fix this issue without having to do them but now mine are torn and im starting to get the shake again. another thing to think of, im on stock 16's and most people aren't...when i mount my 19's well see what kind of issues i will have.HOPEFULLY none, but who knows i already bought a slew of parts to go with everything....

i bought or am buying figs mega arms, his front RCA's (being his guinea pig),his toe links,his tie rods(gonna be his guinea pig again) and im HOPING to have the front camber kit/UCA he's developing as soon as it comes out

Last edited by sakataj; 12-07-10 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-07-10, 08:17 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Default .

So your saying the red is the "caster bushing" I have to check for? How can I tell if its bad?

Originally Posted by CLGForce
Old 12-07-10, 08:20 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

a mechanic saw my front tires and showed me the sides were very worn out more then the rest of the tire which is worn as well. He said the sides were "dry rotting" and thats most likely whats causing the shaking steering at 60mph+. Think he's right?
Old 12-07-10, 08:36 PM
CLGForce
Driver School Candidate

uh...time to replace the tires anyways and then diagnose from there? trying to fix something from worn parts won't solve much.

also do you have any local lexus dealership that can do a free or low cost inspection? sometimes they do it for free with an oil change. best way to make sure what could be going on in the suspension. Not calling you a n00b or anything but if you can't determine a bad bushing then it's time for a pro's opinion.
Old 12-08-10, 02:46 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

changed the wheels and tires and shaking is gone, so it was either the wheels or tires. thanks everyone.
Old 12-08-10, 09:43 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMPesso
So your saying the red is the "caster bushing" I have to check for? How can I tell if its bad?
yes but your bushing WONT be red...it will be black

you can tell its bad if its cracked.i can snap a pic of you really need as i know mine are cracked

Originally Posted by DMPesso
changed the wheels and tires and shaking is gone, so it was either the wheels or tires. thanks everyone.
no way...there is no fix, its not possible you fixed it. just messing....congrats on such a easy/cheap fix

Last edited by sakataj; 12-08-10 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-08-10, 04:46 PM
raceforgt
Rookie

no way...there is no fix, its not possible you fixed it. just messing....congrats on such a easy/cheap fix [/QUOTE]

you need to lay off my *** with these comments sakataj, i am tired of logging on and seeing smart *** comments to everything i have to say, not the first time either.
i got my information from valid and professional sources and others with the exact same issue on clublex.

Last edited by raceforgt; 12-08-10 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-08-10, 04:52 PM
raceforgt
Rookie

talk to other people on clublex or check the threads.. after all the work and money, still no solution

Quick Reply: Shaking Steering Wheel 60-70mph