Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Shaking Steering Wheel 60-70mph

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-10, 11:25 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Shaking Steering Wheel 60-70mph

I have a 99 GS300 with 139k and every time I hit 60MPH on MOST highways the steering wheel starts to shake like it needs balancing, once I hit about 72 it goes away. Does anyone think this could be balancing? bent rim? or the imfamous problem with GS's which i've read about online. The rims looks like it could be bent when spinning but I want to see if anyone else experienced this?
Old 12-06-10, 08:39 AM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad caster bushing likely. Climb underneath and look at it.
Old 12-06-10, 10:02 AM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At this point, it could one or all of those things. Creating a thread to ask what you already know won't give you your answer instantaneously. Continue with your due diligence and rule out the most probable pertaining to your car and go from there. If you think you might have a bent wheel, get them checked out. If you do, get it fixed and see if that eliminated your problem. If you don't, look at the most common and obvious things first, like the caster bushing, and see if that is your culprit. Good luck.
Old 12-06-10, 12:48 PM
RoboRam12
Driver

No, get it balanced first. That is a textbook out of balance situation. And make sure they balance with road force.

If that doesn't fix it, go from there. But I had the same issue, shake came around 60, and was gone around 70. I got the tires rebalanced and it went away completely.
Old 12-06-10, 01:01 PM
the90zkid
Driver

I was having that issue, and i have a 99gs300 with 164xxx. I replaced the caster arm bushings, and now its improved alot more =D
Old 12-06-10, 02:03 PM
JoeyJoe206
Driver School Candidate

I had this problem 2 years ago, when i took it in the brakes were cracked, they fixed it and everything is good
Old 12-06-10, 02:38 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyJoe206
I had this problem 2 years ago, when i took it in the brakes were cracked, they fixed it and everything is good
I'm guessing you meant the rotors?
Old 12-06-10, 03:29 PM
JoeyJoe206
Driver School Candidate

yup the rotors, exactly
Old 12-06-10, 04:43 PM
AshburnM3
Pole Position

just try the most common first=wheel balance
Old 12-06-10, 05:43 PM
raceforgt
Rookie

Honestly we can all speculate on this issue night and day and probably wind up with the same conclusion: the infamous GS "shake". I have it on my 02 GS3 still, after spending THOUSANDS and most of my recent savings. It's something notorious and unexplainable and fundementally flawed in its design. I replaced (with OEM) shocks, struts, ball joints, outer tie rods, control arms, caster arms, brake rotors and pads and wheels/tires with new. It helped dissipate the shake a bit but it's about 70% still there. There is NO fix for this so don't waste your money like I did.
Having said this, I love my GS (my 3rd one) and let this be the biggest issue I/we have with it!
Old 12-06-10, 06:20 PM
krispl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by raceforgt
Honestly we can all speculate on this issue night and day and probably wind up with the same conclusion: the infamous GS "shake". I have it on my 02 GS3 still, after spending THOUSANDS and most of my recent savings. It's something notorious and unexplainable and fundementally flawed in its design. I replaced (with OEM) shocks, struts, ball joints, outer tie rods, control arms, caster arms, brake rotors and pads and wheels/tires with new. It helped dissipate the shake a bit but it's about 70% still there. There is NO fix for this so don't waste your money like I did.
Having said this, I love my GS (my 3rd one) and let this be the biggest issue I/we have with it!

Very well said! Nothing to add. Same here with my GS430. It must be design flaw.
Old 12-06-10, 06:33 PM
RoboRam12
Driver

Seriously, what is this "shake"? It isn't a design flaw, it is something out of spec. I had a shop balance my wheels. Before I didn't have a shake, after I did. Just recently, I redid the balance myself, and what do you know, the shake went away.

GS wheels are a little different when balancing because you use clip on weights on the inside, but you can't on the outside, so you have to use stick on weights. And when doing that, you have to adjust the balancing machine accordingly. Lexus put out a TSB for it, and if a tech doesn't look it up, they might not do it right, and it doesn't take much to create a wheel imbalance.
Old 12-06-10, 06:57 PM
phamxOC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 19s werent balanced incorrectly and shakes at 75-80 and stops at 81. i threw on some is250 wheels that were balanced correctly, and now it rides like a caddy again =) hope that helps
Old 12-06-10, 07:01 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

well why is it others have fixed it? including myself? its a conspiracy theory i tell you
Old 12-06-10, 07:04 PM
dave11428
Pole Position

There is no design flaw. It just could be a lot of different things contributing to this. I went trough these steps before the shaking went away:

1st - Balanced the wheels - cheapest step didn't help.
2nd - Check bushings and alignment - didn't help
3rd - Since I have aftermarket rims, I got the hub centric rings - didn't help.
4th - Had the two front rims checked to see if there was any bent - rim was fine.
5th - Was advised to change the two front tires and see. Got 2 used tires from a friend, changed it and rebalanced and what do u know - Zero shaking!!

Quick Reply: Shaking Steering Wheel 60-70mph