Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Broken Toms link

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-02, 01:15 PM
Navaz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Toms link

I just got a phone call from my lexus dealership telling me that one of my links of my TOMS 6 peice rear links is broken, I am just about to go and look for myself, Just wondering if anyone has had that happen to them?
Old 07-31-02, 01:58 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the TOM's 6 piece links worth the price. I mean, have you really noticed a substantial difference in handling.

I know DaveGS4 has them installed.....any opinions guys??
Old 07-31-02, 06:57 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Haven't had that problem with mine, but they've only been on for about a month now. I'd be interested to find out if the break was from stress or something catching the underside of your car. They looked pretty sturdy to me.

The Tom's six link is worth it IMO. I had mine done at the same time as the TRD Front lower chassis brace, so take these comments as 'my best guess' on which mod did what.

Substantial increase in flatness through turns. Flat even when throwing the wheel as hard as I can left and right. I think this is due to a combination of the TRD LCB and six link (plus all the other stuff I already had on the car).

Entire chassis of my GS feels like it has less flex and is more 'connected'. I think this is due entirely to the Tom's six link.

I think a couple other folks have it as well (Manaray for one)... if they did only the six link they can probably comment better on exactly the difference.
Old 08-01-02, 04:26 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm, I can't imagine one of those bars just "breaking"...they feel like you could take them and beat a rock into submission.

As for me, I did the TOM'S 6-Piece Link and the TOM'S Rear Lower Chassis Brace (B-Type...open ended) at the same time. It definitely made a difference on the rear end. The rear would "jump around" a little bit on uneven pavement during hard cornering...with those parts installed, it made that go away. Like Dave said, made the car feel much more planted....worth every penny and the long wait IMO.
Old 08-01-02, 04:55 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally, I want TOM's 6 piece installed this summer.. but has took all my hard earn eggs into another basket.. TRD LSD and TC combo.. I am going to do TOMS' 6 piece later this fall or early next spring...
Old 08-01-02, 08:45 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Hard to imagine one of the links breaking .

It looks pretty strong , from the pics , i'll be able to see better once i get it in .

Hmmm.............How would you guys test ? I can test it individually if you would like ? So give me ideas on how to do a test on the pieces ?
Old 08-01-02, 01:39 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys for the reviews. I might order them in the future along with the TRD sways from STEVE if they ever come in. Did the TRD boat from JAPAN sink or something???? Anyone have any ETA on when they are arriving.
Old 08-01-02, 02:12 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about TRD Japan.. but when my dealer in Boston order TRD LSD directly from Japan.. I took less than 4 weeks for the LSD to arrive.. The boat that you order must took a vacation in Tahiti....
Old 08-01-02, 07:02 PM
Navaz
Pole Position

Default Broken Links

I got them off my car, of the 6 links 2 were broken, the 2 that have the moving joints on them. The metal welds cracked. No problem though I spoke to Angel at Carson Toyota and the are replacing the broken parts.
Old 08-03-02, 11:04 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post DrewGS4

Hey DrewGS4

What's up dude. Hey Jus got my Tom's & gettin it put on Tue. at SRT. wit some other stuff
Jus wanna let all the Club Lex peeps know that the TRD ship has arrived. sshhhsshh. suppose to be a secret.

Hey DrewGS4 are ya gonna to the CLUB LEXUS meet in NY?

PAULGS400 (TKD540Kick@aol.com)
Old 08-03-02, 12:43 PM
RacingAristo

I knew someone in Japan had the same problem with TOM'S 6 link kit. So far you are probably the first one in U.S. to experience that.
Old 08-03-02, 07:37 PM
Navaz
Pole Position

Originally posted by RacingAristo
I knew someone in Japan had the same problem with TOM'S 6 link kit. So far you are probably the first one in U.S. to experience that.
Actually I am in Canada. BTW if any of you guy's want to see the damage. they are at Carson Toyota, I sent them out by Fed Ex and they got them, I'm just waiting for my replacement parts. I am putting them back on on Tues.
Old 08-03-02, 08:19 PM
RacingAristo

Originally posted by navaz

Actually I am in Canada.
my bad. how about first in the western world? Is there a warranty on the parts? If there is, how long will the warranty cover?