Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Looking for info on spring installation...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-01, 07:51 AM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be installing H&R springs in GS400 in the next week or so. Anyone have service manual procedure, technical info, or knowledge that would be useful?

Thanks in advance

Old 03-14-01, 05:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

You replacing the stock shocks too? (You should.)
Old 03-14-01, 11:54 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You will break your arm or at least your hand. Good luck.
Old 03-15-01, 07:17 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Old post somewhere

I think Mitch had posted step by step instructions on how to do this on the old board- don' t know if its still available. I agree with bitkahuna you should replace the stock shocks as well - either L-tuned (these are the stock Euro Spec shocks on the GS)or Bilstiens.

Good Luck!

PS make sure you seat the springs properly or you'll get a clunking noise everytime you hit a bump.
Old 03-15-01, 07:19 AM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DoubleWhoosh
You will break your arm or at least your hand. Good luck.
Thanks for the valuable tip.....

Anyone with real experience?
Old 03-15-01, 07:22 AM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Default Re: Old post somewhere

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
I think Mitch had posted step by step instructions on how to do this on the old board- don' t know if its still available. I agree with bitkahuna you should replace the stock shocks as well - either L-tuned (these are the stock Euro Spec shocks on the GS)or Bilstiens.

Good Luck!

PS make sure you seat the springs properly or you'll get a clunking noise everytime you hit a bump.
Johnny Mo:

Is there a way to search the "old board" or contact Mitch for the info?

Thanks
Old 03-15-01, 10:15 AM
RacingAristo

Thanks for the valuable tip.....

Anyone with real experience?
Yeah, DoubleWhoosh does. He is the guy who installed spring/shock for me. Highly recommend!
Old 03-15-01, 02:05 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation This stuff is dangerous for real!

See, the reason you will break something (hopefully not your head!) is that if you need to ask for instructions on how to do this, you probably shouldn't be doing it.

This is a job that you should be able to just do via the process of logical mechanical disassembly, without ever having laid eyes on a manual or a set of instructions.

DIY is cool, but some things are not worth the trouble of being cheap and adventurous about it - but hey, if you don't mind when you break your leg when the spring shoots across your driveway out of the strut assembly, or you kink one of your abs sensor lines, or you put a giant gash in your paint while prying the wrong way on the front suspension arm, by all means have at it.

Old 03-15-01, 04:11 PM
RacingAristo

Doublewhoosh is right. I was afraid the spring would pop out when using the spring compressor. But generally speaking, install spring/shock isn't that hard. You should be able to do it without the manuel.
Old 03-16-01, 06:47 AM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Thumbs down Re: This stuff is dangerous for real!

See, the reason you will break something (hopefully not your head!) is that if you need to ask for instructions on how to do this, you probably shouldn't be doing it.

This is a job that you should be able to just do via the process of logical mechanical disassembly, without ever having laid eyes on a manual or a set of instructions.

DIY is cool, but some things are not worth the trouble of being cheap and adventurous about it - but hey, if you don't mind when you break your leg when the spring shoots across your driveway out of the strut assembly, or you kink one of your abs sensor lines, or you put a giant gash in your paint while prying the wrong way on the front suspension arm, by all means have at it.

Wow, I didn't even get scratch when I lowered my pickup with spindles and springs, or my Maxima for that matter. In fact, I can't recall a time I've ever hurt myself in my 15 years as a mechanic, both prof and DIY. I do, however, recall that keeping on top of your game usually requires networking with other knowledgeable techs, to share helpful information and characteristics about a certain job, model, etc.

I appreciate your defense of your trade and your opinion, but there's really no need to be so rude.

Old 03-16-01, 01:51 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

If you're that good already why on earth do you need a manual or help!??!?!

Old 03-17-01, 12:23 PM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

If you're that good already why on earth do you need a manual or help!??!?!

I thought I made that clear on the last post. Many of my achievements in life were through the help of others. I'm not to proud to admit that or to ask for advice before starting a job.

But if you say it's straightforward, I'm sure I'll have no problem, so thanks anyway.

n/m
Old 03-20-01, 08:03 AM
Y2KGS4
Driver School Candidate

I don't think I posted a step by step on this one as the procedure is perfectly detailed in the shop manual. The things I stressed were proper tools and a good deal of previous wrench spinning experience. I also suggested buying new spring mount assemblies so you would not have to disassemble the stock springs and shocks. This would allow you to build up your new spring/shock assemblies by compressing the springs once. Then you could just bolt the old assemblies out and the new ones in. I would have done it this way if I had known what I know now about the time involved with all the spring uncompressing and recompressing.

Mitch
Old 03-22-01, 05:40 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up

Leave it to the pro's! That is my best suggestion. Particularly if ****** screws up, you got some recourse!
Old 03-22-01, 06:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

cyclemax - I didn't see a response to my earlier question... are you really going to replace the springs only? I think it will handle like $#!+.

Quick Reply: Looking for info on spring installation...