Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Daizen Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-10, 11:43 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Daizen Install

Hi, i've replaced shocks, lower ball joints, outer tie rods and all new michelin pilot sports tires on my 02 gs430 with 101,000 miles. After numerous alignments, the car still gets out of alignment after a month and won't track straight. It is a pain to drive. Searching the forums, most of you guys have said that the bushings are the main problem. I ordered a full set of Daizen suspension bushings and sway bar bushings. My independent mechanic told me that it could be $1500 and 2 days of labor for him to press the bushings in and out!!! Is this a high price? Anyone know of someone in the DC,MD,VA area that could do it?

Thanks for your help
Old 11-09-10, 12:04 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by milellie11
Hi, i've replaced shocks, lower ball joints, outer tie rods and all new michelin pilot sports tires on my 02 gs430 with 101,000 miles. After numerous alignments, the car still gets out of alignment after a month and won't track straight. It is a pain to drive. Searching the forums, most of you guys have said that the bushings are the main problem. I ordered a full set of Daizen suspension bushings and sway bar bushings. My independent mechanic told me that it could be $1500 and 2 days of labor for him to press the bushings in and out!!! Is this a high price? Anyone know of someone in the DC,MD,VA area that could do it?

Thanks for your help
That is too high of a price 350-500 is the most it should cost.
Old 11-09-10, 12:21 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just remove the arms yourself like I did and then take them to a shop to get pressed in/out, and put the arms back in. Shop wont charge more than $100 to press in /out.
Old 11-09-10, 12:48 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pizdets17
Just remove the arms yourself like I did and then take them to a shop to get pressed in/out, and put the arms back in. Shop wont charge more than $100 to press in /out.

I am not a DIY type of guy so i wouldn't even know how to remove the arms.
Old 11-09-10, 01:03 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Well then you probably gonna get soaked as just about all your front suspension has to come off for this...I could barely check oil 6 months ago, thanks to these forums I did the bushings, oil change, brakes and bunch of other stuff myself. I am in the IT industry so definitely not the mechanic type lol. try going to a smaller shop as when I called the dealer they told me $1300 and that they did not really even want to do it
Old 11-09-10, 01:28 PM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pizdets17
LOL, I think I've heard this advice before... Glad it worked out for ya man.
Old 11-09-10, 01:49 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Yep thanks for that man lol. I didn't do the LCA#1, too scary lol.

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
LOL, I think I've heard this advice before... Glad it worked out for ya man.
Old 11-09-10, 02:24 PM
krispl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$1500 is too much but $350 is way too low. I don't believe that you will find anyone to do this for $350 for all front suspension bushings. I did all daizen bushings myself and if I was gonna do it again I wouldn't even touch this for less then $600. This is very labor intensive job and it requires a lot of patience and tools to perform. Honestly I'm not surprised that they want so much.
If you want to do it right it will take about 6 hours or so.
Old 11-09-10, 03:49 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Is there any reason why i shouldn't install the lower control arm bushings? I've heard of conflicting reports of issues with them installed. Will just the Caster arm bushings fix my alignment issues and firm up the loose steering?

Thanks
Old 11-09-10, 04:55 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by krispl
$1500 is too much but $350 is way too low. I don't believe that you will find anyone to do this for $350 for all front suspension bushings. I did all daizen bushings myself and if I was gonna do it again I wouldn't even touch this for less then $600. This is very labor intensive job and it requires a lot of patience and tools to perform. Honestly I'm not surprised that they want so much.
If you want to do it right it will take about 6 hours or so.

It's relative I guess. A shop down here in socal does it for $350 and he normally takes 3 hours to do the job.
Old 11-09-10, 04:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by milellie11
Will just the Caster arm bushings fix my alignment issues and firm up the loose steering?
if your alignment keeps on changing, then all fingers point towards the bushings. You will definitely be able to keep it more consistent, but the loose steering may or may not be the bushings. It could be the steering rack bushings, steering rack tensioner, etc.
Old 11-09-10, 06:28 PM
punch10
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez, it doesn't take that long to do. You just need a press. 300-350 sounds right. Anything above that is a ripping.
Old 11-09-10, 07:01 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

if its just the UCA and LCA#2 then its not too bad, but if you're doing the LCA#1 and you're doing it in 3hrs both sides I wouldn't ride in the car with you because you must have extra parts left over lol. Pressing in/out takes probably 30min-1hr because the LCA#2 bushing don't just easily come out, i cant see a complete front suspension assembly and disassembly in 3hrs unless there is a guy working on each side at the same time. That is unless the guy has done this job 100 times.

Originally Posted by punch10
Geez, it doesn't take that long to do. You just need a press. 300-350 sounds right. Anything above that is a ripping.
Old 11-09-10, 08:16 PM
GSteg
Rookie

It's possible to do it in 3 hours. The guy I know has done it for many socal CL members so it's nothing new to him. First time around took maybe 5hrs, but after finding tricks to make things easier, it's smooth sailing from there. Once the car is up in the air, it doesn't take that long to zap all the bolts off.

I was able to remove and press in the caster bushing for both sides in 30 minutes. When you have the right tools and you know how to use it, it's quick. If you find yourself wrestling with something, you've got the wrong tool or you're doing it wrong
Old 11-09-10, 08:18 PM
milellie11
Intermediate

Hey, have you guys installed ALL of the bushings with great results? I've been hearing bad stories about installing the lower control arm bushings with alignment issues. I need to know because i get this done tomorrow. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Daizen Install