Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Changed rear brakes and rotors, now scraping noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-10, 06:20 AM
nysimonsez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed rear brakes and rotors, now scraping noise?

I did my rear brakes and rotors over the weekend. I used OEM pads and centric rotors and replaced both sides following the DIY in the other thread. I did the driver's side first and the the passenger side. On the passenger side, after I put in the new rotor and pads, I turn the wheel and noticed a scraping noise (like metal to metal). At first I thought it might just be because of new pad and rotor so I mounted the tire and test drove the car. When I was driving, there's the same scraping noise even when I'm not pressing the brakes. And I think the noise actually goes away when I press the brakes. I was concerned but proceeded to bed in the brakes anyway. I did a few 30-5mph and 45-5mph but the scraping noise is still there (may be a tiny bit quieter). I stopped doing the bed in but didn't have time to take off the tire to do a check. I have a couple of questions:

(1) What do you think is causing the noise? new pad/rotor not bed in, pads not seating correctly, dust shield bent (didn't seem so when I was mounting the rotor).
(2) Besides putting caliper grease between the back of the pad and the shim and between the shim and the metal plate that contacts the caliper, do I have to put grease anywhere else, like around the caliper piston? or the slide and retainer pins? I didn't put any grease on them.

I know the scraping noise is definitely on the passenger side but not sure if it's also on the driver's side. I'll take a look tonite when I have time.

Anyone have any clue or input? definitely appreciate it.

thanks
Old 11-11-10, 04:31 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Check and make sure the backing plate did not get bent towards the rotors...sometimes this happens if by accident the wheel/tire or something hit it when doing work, then the backing plate rubs on the rotor causing that scraping noise...you can simply bend it back by using a long screw driver or pry bar through the wheels...hope that helps!
Old 11-13-10, 06:37 AM
nysimonsez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I took a look this morning and after I took off the new brake pads, the scraping noise is gone when I turn the wheel. So I guess the scraping noise is caused by the new pad touching the new rotors slightly when not braking. Is that because I didn't bed in the brakes enough?