Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Replacing stock brake pads and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-10, 10:32 AM
player1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing stock brake pads and rotors

Hello cl fam

I've come here to get some input regarding stock brakepads and rotors. For the last 2 wks I've been hearing the infamous 'squeaky' brake noise when I come to a stop. The noise is more audible when coming to a stop slowly from moderate speeds. The noise is the typical 'screeching' brake noise that you hear. The IS has 27k miles on it. When I took it to the stealership they told me both the rotors and brake pads need to be replaced costing around $500.

Does this make sense? What mileage do our IS's generally have their brake pads and rotors replaced? I have a gs 350 with 70k on it and have yet to replace the brake pads or rotors. I'm surprised that is's need there stock brake pads and rotors changed at such a low mileage.

Lastly, if I do have to get them replaced, why isn't this a warranty issue?

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-12-10, 11:10 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Well first off your dealership is trying to scam you. If they are charging $500 they are not replacing the rotors, just replacing the pads and resurfacing the rotors. Your brake pads may be shot, it depends on how much you use the brake. I replaced my front pads for the first time at around 45k but i didn't do so because of the pads i did so because of the uneven deposits on the rotors and I wanted to get them resurfaced. I would highly recommend you do them yourself as it's such an easy job but if you're not handy or mechanically inclined then i would go to a local shop to have it done. It will cost you less than half that to get the job done. Lexus dealerships charge and outrageous amount for simple wear and tear replacement. I will tell you this though, do not let anyone convince you that you need to replace the rotors. The rotors on the IS350 are very heavy duty and unless you are tracking the car heavily they will not warp. When replacing pads you should always have the rotors resurfaced and it will make your car feel and stop like new. The IS350 rotors can be resurfaced about 3-4 times before they need to be replaced.
Old 10-12-10, 11:13 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Oh to answer your last question warrnaty covers defects not wear and tear replacement. Your tires and brakes pad are regular maintenance that must be covered by the owner.
Old 10-12-10, 12:31 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had squeaky brake noise too especially at slow stop. Dealer replaced the front brake shims with no charge, the noise had gone for a while but it came back eventually. I am now noise free coz I replace rotors and pad myself to aftermarket ones
Old 10-12-10, 01:22 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you ask the dealer what he measured the pads and rotors at?

That'll tell you if they actually need replacement or not.
Old 10-27-10, 10:55 AM
CLIS250
Pole Position

same problem im at 30k miles almost and i have gone through 2 sets of front pads and the rotors have been resurfaced before already. first issue was around 20k miles, pads still had 50% but the pads were warped and then rotors needed to be resurfaced. this is the second time, the pads have 60%+ but the rotors are lipped. so now i need new rotors and pads they said. im thinking that, these pads are messin with the oem rotors, like they are too hard for the rotors or something, im thinking about sticking to oem rotors and swapping out the pads to aftermarket, maybe something softer? different material.
Old 10-27-10, 11:48 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

First, rotors don't really warp if correctly installed... and certainly not in any sort of normal use...

Sounds like maybe you're not bedding the brakes correctly in the first place and getting uneven material transfer though?

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
Old 10-27-10, 12:14 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

FYI...brake rotors CAN warp under normal use, but NOT on installation...rotors warp due to their metal nature, that when metal is heated and then cooled unevenly, it can change shape...happens all the time
Old 10-27-10, 12:53 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

dang...cost me under $100 to replace my front brakes with oem pads and resurfacing the rotor not to mention i even got the parking brake adjusted.
Old 10-27-10, 12:54 PM
CLIS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by suicidesam
dang...cost me under $100 to replace my front brakes with oem pads and resurfacing the rotor not to mention i even got the parking brake adjusted.
what a deal!
Old 10-27-10, 12:55 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by quick123
FYI...brake rotors CAN warp under normal use, but NOT on installation...rotors warp due to their metal nature, that when metal is heated and then cooled unevenly, it can change shape...happens all the time
It really doesn't.

Seriously, read the link I posted.

The guy who wrote it saw a lot more brakes than you, under a lot worse conditions than you, and supports the idea of "warped" rotors being a myth largely repeated by folks who don't understand material transfer in rotors.

If you don't believe HIM try this:

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Arti...brake_job.aspx

Editor of Brake and Front End Magazine, who also tells you rotors don't generally warp.

Originally Posted by suicidesam

What was wrong with the rotors that they needed resurfacing?
Old 10-27-10, 01:03 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
What was wrong with the rotors that they needed resurfacing?
nothing piece of mind i guess...also i've been eyeballing these (front & rear)for a while and need an excuse to get them
Old 10-27-10, 01:13 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Heh... least you can admit all ya did was remove useful life from the OEM ones