Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Bleeding - Motive Bleeder attachment

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-10, 03:29 PM
troym
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Bleeding - Motive Bleeder attachment

I am hoping at least someone on here can point me in the right direction. I purchased the Motive kit to bleed my brakes on my 1998 GS400. Of course the motive catalog mentioned "fits all except some GS" and apparently I am the exception. Looking at this brake reservoir I see no way the attachment can fit. What model # attachment are you all working with? I appreciate the guidance.
Old 09-08-10, 03:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I recall reading a thread from years back that someone had the Motive brake bleeder and it didn't work quite well on the GS. I don't know how he attached it, but the bigger problem was that when the bleeder bolt was loosened, no fluid came out, even with the ignition on. Are you planning to use the bleeder for your GS only? If so, I would recommend getting the Earl Solo-bleed instead. They're about $30-35 for a set of 4. No need to carry around a big container, and you won't have to waste brake fluid during the process.
Old 09-08-10, 06:16 PM
troym
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSteg
I recall reading a thread from years back that someone had the Motive brake bleeder and it didn't work quite well on the GS. I don't know how he attached it, but the bigger problem was that when the bleeder bolt was loosened, no fluid came out, even with the ignition on. Are you planning to use the bleeder for your GS only? If so, I would recommend getting the Earl Solo-bleed instead. They're about $30-35 for a set of 4. No need to carry around a big container, and you won't have to waste brake fluid during the process.
I appreciate the response. I was curious about how it would work, as I am aware via this website that the ignition needs to be on for the rears, correct?

I bought it for my other cars as well, so it is not a total loss if it doesn't work out. I've heard they can make a custom cap, but seeing as how they are not screw on, and there is no way to clamp it down, I suppose it wouldn't hold pressure well or at all.

If I don't purchase the Earl, would it still be possible to grab a friend and do it the old fashioned way?
Old 09-08-10, 07:51 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by troym
I appreciate the response. I was curious about how it would work, as I am aware via this website that the ignition needs to be on for the rears, correct?

I bought it for my other cars as well, so it is not a total loss if it doesn't work out. I've heard they can make a custom cap, but seeing as how they are not screw on, and there is no way to clamp it down, I suppose it wouldn't hold pressure well or at all.

If I don't purchase the Earl, would it still be possible to grab a friend and do it the old fashioned way?
I found this out the same way that you did when I tried bleeding my GS300 brake system. You're just going to have to do it the old fashion way or have two people if you want to use the motive bleeder. What I did was strap down the cap with a tie strap making sure there's enough fluid in the bleeder and then have a friend watch it to make sure it doesn't overflow. Besides that, it works wonderfully on all of my other vehicles.
Old 09-08-10, 08:12 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

You can still do the old fashion way. I still do that with my car, except the Earl bleeder allows me to do it myself rather needing another person. It's quick too
Old 09-09-10, 09:09 AM
troym
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
I found this out the same way that you did when I tried bleeding my GS300 brake system. You're just going to have to do it the old fashion way or have two people if you want to use the motive bleeder. What I did was strap down the cap with a tie strap making sure there's enough fluid in the bleeder and then have a friend watch it to make sure it doesn't overflow. Besides that, it works wonderfully on all of my other vehicles.
Interesting thought, two people with the Motive. I didn't think of that... Do you think using a tie strap maybe combined with duct tape or something of that nature would allow it to seal and hold pressure?
Old 09-09-10, 09:56 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting thought, two people with the Motive. I didn't think of that... Do you think using a tie strap maybe combined with duct tape or something of that nature would allow it to seal and hold pressure?
You really don't need the duck tape since all you really need is about 15lbs of pressure on top of the cap to create a seal. There is a rubber disc that you put under the cap which will seal it. Make sure that you start the car every 30 sec. or so and let the ABS pump cycle through for roughly 15 secs. to push out all of the fluid.