Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tip: Upper Control Arm DIY

Old 01-30-15, 12:23 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
I replaced the right front UCA on my '91 with stock spring suspension today. Some notes:

The torque values in the OP's post are very wrong for my car.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/suspe...fupperarm.html and
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/suspension/fshock.html
have the correct values, as confirmed with my Service Manual.

I think the thing about removing the strut or not has a lot to do with how lucky you are on where the coils end up. I got the rear bushing bolt out and in no problem. The front bolt was tougher. I tried jacking the suspension, loosening the strut tower bolts, levering the coils, and still not enough. So I used a little spring compressor and that did it for me. But with a little more luck I would not have needed that.

I used a Raybestos 502-1200 Professional Grade Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly bought from Amazon. It looked just like the Original one I removed, except the castle nut was different, and actually a little too short so I had to re-use the old one, which was no problem.

At 179k miles, the ball joint and front bushing on the one I removed were still fine, but the rear bushing was very loose.

Very easy job overall.
Considering our generation of cars were made from 1998-2005, I can't say that I'm surprised the 1991 model has different specs...
Old 02-01-15, 03:34 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusben
So here was the Problem:

As you can see I was unable to remove the bolt because the Spring Coil was in the way.

Here is the solution:

We had to try putting different objects between the coils and then jacking up the coil so the bolt would have the room to come out. This is the object that finally worked.

On another note I saw that I had KYB Excel-G Shocks. Are these the stock shocks?
Sure this is creative but by the time you do all that jacking and trying different stuff you could simply take off 3 nuts and one bolt and take the shock out.
Old 02-04-15, 11:09 AM
Garz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by angus
Sure this is creative but by the time you do all that jacking and trying different stuff you could simply take off 3 nuts and one bolt and take the shock out.
I changed the left one out last night. What a PIA. So I would be curious what 3 nuts and one bolt (pictures would help) to take off? I had to get very creative and lucky to get the door side bolt in. I am not very mechanically inclined. However, I did get one done, and not looking forward to the other one.

I appreciate any help I can get to make it easier.

Thanks.
Old 02-04-15, 12:03 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Garz
I changed the left one out last night. What a PIA. So I would be curious what 3 nuts and one bolt (pictures would help) to take off? I had to get very creative and lucky to get the door side bolt in. I am not very mechanically inclined. However, I did get one done, and not looking forward to the other one.

I appreciate any help I can get to make it easier.

Thanks.
BTW - After I posted here a week or so ago, I realized I'm in the GS - 2nd gen forum, and I've got a Gen 1 LS, but most of this should be close to interchangeable between the two platforms.

The 3 nuts + 1 bolt correctly refer to:
- the 3 nuts holding the top of the strut to the chassis - pop the hood, look for where the top of the strut would end up, and you'll see a rubber disk surrounded by 3 nuts on upward-protruding studs. Don't touch the rubber disk, but remove those 3 nuts and the top of the strut will have been loosened.
- the 1 bolt refers the one horizontal big bolt holding the bottom of the strut (the shock absorber part) to the knuckle.
- If you remove those 3 + 1, in theory the strut assembly is free to be removed. In my experience however, from replacing all struts in my car a while ago, that bottom connection is not the easiest to get back in and aligned, etc. Certainly possible, and if the UCA replacement is turning into a real PITA, this may be the easier route. But in my case, since I had a little spring compressor on hand and I knew I just needed to pull that one obstructing coil a little out of the way, I did that (after removing the 3 top nuts and finding that did not give me the play I needed).
Old 02-04-15, 12:43 PM
Garz
Driver School Candidate

Awesome. I thought those were the nuts and bolts you were describing. I did loosen the strut bolts. But I ended up doing what you did; compressing the spring enough. I jimmy rigged a channel lock and a wood clamp on the channel lock to hold it. Not ideal, but it worked. I'm going to autozone to see if they have a spring compressor I can borrow.

Thanks Bro.
Old 02-04-15, 01:21 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Garz
Awesome. I thought those were the nuts and bolts you were describing. I did loosen the strut bolts. But I ended up doing what you did; compressing the spring enough. I jimmy rigged a channel lock and a wood clamp on the channel lock to hold it. Not ideal, but it worked. I'm going to autozone to see if they have a spring compressor I can borrow.

Thanks Bro.
Glad to be able to help (I hope).

If you got it to work with channel locks, you'll definitely be able to get the spring compressor to work. I was unable to get my C-clamp to do it, so I reached a little deeper into my toolbox for the spring compressor. Mine is a fairly light duty one. When I changed the struts for real on this car, I rented the more solid version at Pep Boys.

In this case, you don't really need to pull that hard on the spring, and it may be tough to put the compressor on the coil while still installed (generally you'd do that with the strut assembly removed from the car). So what this means is that if you have a choice between a big beefy compressor and a thinner one, the thinner one will be better in this case. Also, you'll only need to use one of the two in the pair. Attach one end on the very bottom coil and the other end on the obstructing coil, right near the point of obstruction. That will allow you to pull it out of the way with minimum force (easier and safer).

Good luck.
Old 06-14-15, 12:16 AM
carbon14c
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys, just did my driver side tonight. gonna add a little tidbit from my experience. so those two bolts that thread through the bushings are a *****. I wish I would've figured this out in the beginning instead of struggling, but here's the quickest way to get them to line up and thread in with 0 resistance. I'll assume you have the new control arm roughly in place already.

I started by popping the hood, and used a small magnet to get the square washers out of the little retaining brackets on either side of the strut tower.

now take a small Allen wrench. I believe I had a 5/32", any size close should be fine. wiggle it through. this can be the hardest part. take your time, don't get frustrated. (I did lol).

once the tiny Allen is through, look at the bracket where you removed the square nut. you should see the Allen, if its long enough. if not, repeat with a longer one. now you should be able to grab the Allen side sticking through the hole in the tower. push it until you feel the sleeve shift enough so that you can move the Allen in a perfect circle. you're basically just nudging the sleeve/bushing so that it aligns.

once you feel it shift (should just be a strong little wiggle/nudge to do the trick), go ahead and try the bolt. mine threaded in perfectly after I aligned the sleeve like this.

good luck!
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (09-16-17)
Old 09-16-17, 11:57 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by carbon14c
Hi guys, just did my driver side tonight. gonna add a little tidbit from my experience. so those two bolts that thread through the bushings are a *****. I wish I would've figured this out in the beginning instead of struggling, but here's the quickest way to get them to line up and thread in with 0 resistance. I'll assume you have the new control arm roughly in place already.

I started by popping the hood, and used a small magnet to get the square washers out of the little retaining brackets on either side of the strut tower.

now take a small Allen wrench. I believe I had a 5/32", any size close should be fine. wiggle it through. this can be the hardest part. take your time, don't get frustrated. (I did lol).

once the tiny Allen is through, look at the bracket where you removed the square nut. you should see the Allen, if its long enough. if not, repeat with a longer one. now you should be able to grab the Allen side sticking through the hole in the tower. push it until you feel the sleeve shift enough so that you can move the Allen in a perfect circle. you're basically just nudging the sleeve/bushing so that it aligns.

once you feel it shift (should just be a strong little wiggle/nudge to do the trick), go ahead and try the bolt. mine threaded in perfectly after I aligned the sleeve like this.

good luck!
Gonna replace my uca hopefully tomorrow.
Will try this when I do.

Thanks for the heads up
Old 09-18-17, 04:24 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

I remember replacing mine a few years ago and not removing the coilover. I did have to turn the spring to fit the socket in there.. Yes the spring will rotate if you use two hands.
tiguy99 (09-19-17)
Old 09-19-17, 06:33 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I remember replacing mine a few years ago and not removing the coilover. I did have to turn the spring to fit the socket in there.. Yes the spring will rotate if you use two hands.
Hey Tony...when you did yours, did you preload them before torquing them down? If so how did you do it?
Old 09-19-17, 09:46 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Hey Tony...when you did yours, did you preload them before torquing them down? If so how did you do it?
i believe i did.. Its been a few years and looking to replace them again since i used a cheap set from Taiwan.. Rock auto sells the MVOtech brand so will get those unless you have a better option..
tiguy99 (09-20-17)
Old 09-20-17, 08:15 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tmf2004
i believe i did.. Its been a few years and looking to replace them again since i used a cheap set from Taiwan.. Rock auto sells the MVOtech brand so will get those unless you have a better option..
I went with Detroit Axel for both upper arms. Only had the passenger side done since that one squeaked and now after one day the new one is squeaking.

Had my neighbor install it the other night but I have a feeling he didn't preload it and now I need to go back in and redo that part.

Will update you in a day or so afterwards. If I could do it again I'd press in figs bushings and call it a day.