Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Shock/Spring Combo VS Coilover

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 12:19 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I was originally looking for a setup like that since I heard good things about it, but the ones for sale cost just as much as lower end coilovers. I've heard coilovers have horrible ride quality compared to a nice shock and spring combo setup? Do you ever have any trouble going over potholes or driveways?

And thats where my dilemma comes in, I have heard mixed reviews about overall ride quality with several different coilover setups. As for potholes, they sucked even with stock suspension, but I can feel them more now with the current setup. And as for driveways, well the driveway here at my new house is going to be an issue.
Old 08-12-10, 12:19 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

cheap/crappy coilovers have bad ride quality compared to a nice spring/shock setup. Those who ride on their [insert cheap coil crap] thinking that the ride is badass hasn't driven in a car with a proper setup.

I know some of you guys are going to be in a world of shock but..... whether the setup is shock/spring or adjustable ride height coils has no bearing on ride quality.
Old 08-12-10, 01:21 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
cheap/crappy coilovers have bad ride quality compared to a nice spring/shock setup. Those who ride on their [insert cheap coil crap] thinking that the ride is badass hasn't driven in a car with a proper setup.

I know some of you guys are going to be in a world of shock but..... whether the setup is shock/spring or adjustable ride height coils has no bearing on ride quality.
+1

10charrrr
Old 08-12-10, 02:09 PM
Toddyzfr1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off let me say that this thread really helps me out. I feel more comfortable going in the direction I was leaning now. All of the replies help me out!

"OneJay"
I'm gonna go ahead and do that. Thanks.

"NineTreSc3"
I'm may take you up on that. I'll PM you once I do some research.

"GSteg"
"Don't listen to those who say to get coilovers without regards to your criteria. They're mostly coilover snobs."
That's funny LOL! At the same time I had the inclination that many-not all- said just get coilovers just to say it. Maybe they have more disposable income.

"P.R.S.22"
I really like that look on your SC. Thanks for the info and I'm gonna look into that.

"Turbodremz"
I'd say...weekend cruiser and slight DD. Now let me throw something else in here. I'm in Chicago...yep. Snow. So though I don't plan on driving it much in the winter at all, there may be some days I have to. I'm not even sure a good or cheap set of coilovers will withstand a Chicago winter too good. Can I ask why you plan on ditching your current setup?

"CircuitMS"
I'm gonna check and see soon. I'm not sure yet as I haven't broke down the car yet. I really want to say it’s a stock setup. The previous owner wasn't into much of anything with this car. I mean ANYTHING. Not even keeping it clean. You should have seen the garbage I pulled out of there while I was doing my first phase of work...wow.

Oh! One more thing. GSteg, that last statement says a lot. If I buy a top of the line Ohlins suspension for my bike its gonna be $3K, its more so dominantly made for the track, and it takes a lot of setup to get it right. I would think the same thing applies to coilovers.
Old 08-12-10, 02:10 PM
sc4demon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Toddyzfr1
I have a 1992 SC400 that I bought from a guy. He hadn't driven it for over a year. I'm doing a lot of work to it but one thing I did due to the terrible tires and corroding wheels is buy some XXR 521's 18x8.5. Get this. MY CAR LOOKS LOWERED. There’s about a 3/4 gap on both the front and rear. I haven't changed the springs or shocks. And I really don't believe the previous guy did either. I really think the springs are bad.
could you take pics of your car to see how it sits and also b/c im debating on getting those wheels for my sc....thnx
Old 08-12-10, 02:12 PM
Toddyzfr1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sc4demon
could you take pics of your car to see how it sits and also b/c im debating on getting those wheels for my sc....thnx
Give me a couple of minutes.
Old 08-12-10, 02:19 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should also give this a look see.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=446817

Like turbodremz, I'm ditching my supra eibach setup soon as well. (I have different shocks but the Tokico Illuminas I have are comparable in quality to his KYB AGX's)

The setup in the link above is more track oriented, so I'm not sure how interested you would be in it, but the advantage of the gixxer_drew setup is that you can customize your ride height, and stiffness. Using the 500/250 spring rates gives you a very tolerable ride, while using something like the 650/500 rates will give you a very firm ride. Pairing the hyperco springs (some of the best springs in the world) with the rates YOU choose, with the bilstein shocks (also some of the best in the world), you have a custom set of coilovers suited for you, for less than a grand.

While that costs more than a shock/spring setup, you will have the ability to adjust the height for summer and winter, or to your liking, and also run whatever stiffness you want by choosing appropriate spring rates.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-10, 03:34 PM
Toddyzfr1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sc4demon
I'm gonna have to get back to you on the pictures. My camera is acting up. I can tell you this right now, I like them, but I REALLY wanted the 10.5"'s in the rear. I went with18 X 8.5" all around because of time restraints. I was told I would have to roll the rear quarters because of the offset. I DESPERATELY need smaller tires. right now I'm running on...245 40 18's. I would really like at most some 35's but hey, that was the package I got. Other than that, I like them. That wider lip on the 10.5's is off the chain though.
Old 08-12-10, 03:39 PM
Toddyzfr1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by OneJay

Like turbodremz, I'm ditching my supra eibach setup soon as well. (I have different shocks but the Tokico Illuminas I have are comparable in quality to his KYB AGX's)

The setup in the link above is more track oriented, so I'm not sure how interested you would be in it, but the advantage of the gixxer_drew setup is that you can customize your ride height, and stiffness. Using the 500/250 spring rates gives you a very tolerable ride, while using something like the 650/500 rates will give you a very firm ride. Pairing the hyperco springs (some of the best springs in the world) with the rates YOU choose, with the bilstein shocks (also some of the best in the world), you have a custom set of coilovers suited for you, for less than a grand.

While that costs more than a shock/spring setup, you will have the ability to adjust the height for summer and winter, or to your liking, and also run whatever stiffness you want by choosing appropriate spring rates.

Hope this helps.
I'm gonna dig into that link in just a few. Thanks.
Old 08-12-10, 04:04 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddyzfr1
I'm gonna dig into that link in just a few. Thanks.
I would dig into it right away. I didnt even think about the G/D setup. for the overall price, it really cant be beat..not to mention, several SC/Supra owners are very very please with it.
Old 08-12-10, 04:09 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by OneJay

Hope this helps.
I was researching this setup a few days ago and I've heard that this was the best setup you could buy. A lot of people will vouch for the gixxer_drew setup. If I hadn't sold my suspension, I would've went with that. Definitely look into it if you have the money for it.
Old 08-12-10, 05:05 PM
kln552
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much all good advice here . . . couple of things to add: went through this same process recently. As to either shock/spring combo or coilovers, even "quality" coilovers, you need to decide up front what you want as to all the different variables (preservation of ride; improved handling; aesthetic drop; proper suspension geometry). There isn't any "perfect" suspension setup that is going to do everything for everybody. Then, when you decide what the best combination of tradeoffs/traits is, try to find somebody in your area that has done it on an SC, so that you can see (and preferably "feel") the results. One man's perfect aesthetic drop is another man's "I can't even see the difference !!!! One man's "sporty, firm but compliant" ride quality is another man's teeth rattling POS. Try to find out where the guy that got the results you want had his installation done. The "Gixer" susp is great reading, but that solution really seems to be for someone who cares an awful lot about both theoretical and real-world "best" handling. Great research, and I flat love Bilstein shocks, but 98% of us don't or can't drive in a manner where the advantages of that system will make a difference. Finally, one of my best friends is an extremely talented mechanic who specializes in mods for some really nice cars, and he told me that in almost every coilover install, the customer keeps coming back complaining of various noises associated with the new suspension. Doesn't mean you can't get it done and be happy, it's just another thing to consider. Good luck.
Old 08-13-10, 10:46 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A GOOD shock and spring combo will generally have better ride quality than a "budget" set of coilovers. They usually offer more suspension travel as well.

However, just throwing a set of springs on a set of shocks and calling it a day is not the answer. Make sure the shocks are going to be valved for the spring rates you are using and that they are both going to be suitable for what you want. Especially is the shock isn't damping adjustable. If it's a set damping and you don't like it....too bad.

We like the BCR coilovers, we think they are the "best-bang-for-your-buck" coilover setup out there in the "budget coilover" range. That's why we recommend them over the others we offer
Old 08-13-10, 10:49 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
A GOOD shock and spring combo will generally have better ride quality than a "budget" set of coilovers. They usually offer more suspension travel as well.

However, just throwing a set of springs on a set of shocks and calling it a day is not the answer. Make sure the shocks are going to be valved for the spring rates you are using and that they are both going to be suitable for what you want. Especially is the shock isn't damping adjustable. If it's a set damping and you don't like it....too bad.

We like the BCR coilovers, we think they are the "best-bang-for-your-buck" coilover setup out there in the "budget coilover" range. That's why we recommend them over the others we offer
I see. My friend has BCR's and he likes them a lot but I think they were higher end ones. Do you recommend the over the Tein Flex or Super Street coilovers?
Old 08-15-10, 01:51 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The BCR coilovers only come in the BR series for most Lexus applications, but we frequently do custom kits for our customers. That's an advantage of going through an experieneced and authorized dealer

I personally always recommend the BC's over Teins, unless you get the most expensive Tein models they aren't worth the extra money IMO. And then when you do spend that much there are usually better options. We have tried a number of different coilovers and we think that the BC's are the "best-bang-for-your-buck" setup, hands down.

Quick Reply: Shock/Spring Combo VS Coilover