Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Camber Kit??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-10, 11:10 AM
AuckB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber Kit??

So i installed some megan coilovers a couple of weeks ago and now i need to get an alignment but i know when i go to the shop they will want me to get a camber kit..
im trying to figure out if a camber kit will help make my ride smother and will i have to get a kit for the front also..?
when i drive around i can hear noises in the suspension like they are not fully settled or i need an alignment, not sure..
btw adjusting megan is a b*tch! cause of the bottom adjustment it took me like five times to get my ride were i wanted and im still not a the height i want..
just tryin to figure out how to make my car ride the nicest at the lowest hight.. im thinkin its cause i slammed it on 16's and the coils are meant for like 18's..
planning in getting new wheels soon so kinda want to wait and do everything then but dont know if i ever will get new wheels.
just let me what you think and if you got any suggestions how to make my ride the best,
thanks

Old 07-24-10, 01:51 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should check on the vendor classifieds for a RCA or SS kit. I would definitely install the front and rear together. Also, the noise you are hearing maybe your ball joints. Search and you will find more info on the ball joints. Oh and your stance is pretty sick. I wish my area permitted me to be that low.
Old 07-24-10, 02:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I feel bad for the balljoints

Are your upper control arms hitting the chassis?
Old 07-24-10, 04:31 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

wow...you roll that low?
Old 07-24-10, 10:59 PM
AuckB
Driver School Candidate

its mainly when i am turing out of my driveway and make sharp turns when backing up and whatnot. kinda seems natural but could be prevented..
do ball joints go bad? car has 75000 on it..
Old 07-24-10, 11:20 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AuckB
do ball joints go bad? car has 75000 on it..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...gs-owners.html

Great question, whenever I enter the suspension section, I try not to make eye contact with this sticky link (first one, top o' the page) for fear it may think I am trying to stare it down, but you should read it, then go google sewell lexus parts and order your Ball Joints.
Old 07-25-10, 10:32 PM
AuckB
Driver School Candidate

actually those pics are from a while back, ive recently raised it cause it sounded like blew my suspension, but from what a friend said it might be the the frame hitting on the axel or something.. i just knew it wasn't suppose to sound like that ha

and now that i raised my car up, it rides much better but alignment is really bad.. so im thinking some of the noises will go away with an alignment..
not sure if this is true
also not sure if its true but ive herd lexus can go back to stock camber with out a kit...
Old 07-25-10, 10:42 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

so im thinking some of the noises will go away with an alignment..
not sure if this is true
Not likely

also not sure if its true but ive herd lexus can go back to stock camber with out a kit...
Couldn't be further from the truth.

Please do an ADVANCED SEARCH and enter key words like "alignment" or "camber" or "ball joints" and you will find tons of information going back MANY YEARS.

There's a wealth of information on this topic. Plenty of homework for you.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 07-25-10 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-25-10, 10:44 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i'm not sure if an alignment will help get rid of the noises. U need to figure out where its coming from.
Old 07-25-10, 10:51 PM
AuckB
Driver School Candidate

yeah i need a alignment regardless
Old 07-26-10, 01:48 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if your coilovers are blown...it will leak fluids down the side of the coilover body...then onto the lower suspension arm. Also, you will definitely tell when it feels like you are riding on pure spring rate, without any dampening...and bottomed out. That's how I found out my tein cs were blown.
Old 07-26-10, 05:36 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue but finally got it resolved after much trial and error.
I'm also on the Megan Coils but am sitting on 19s.

- The clunking sound you hear when going over bumps will eventually go away on it's own, it took mine almost 1,500 miles to do so.

- Now to go really low and keep everything in spec I tried front and rear rca's which only gave me more issues. I kept the front RCA's on to give me the extra inch of shock travel and added some SPC (camber adjustable) Upper Control Arms which did the trick up front to correct camber.

- In the rear i had installed the RCA's and had to remove them again because although the camber was back in spec, the toe was way out of line and I couldn't even drive the car in a straight line without fish-tailing. So I contacted Figz which is a member here and ordered his Mega Arms which are Rear (Camber & Toe) Lower adjustable control arms, and was finally able to get everything back into the green while being as low as I wanted.

So far no issues with this setup except for a few new clunking noises from the rear but it doesn't seem to be anything serious. I'll see if I can post up some pics later when I get home. I would suggest to first find some larger wheels and then start tweaking the car to your liking. These are the things that worked for me, but you may find another way, good luck ...
Old 07-26-10, 10:56 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SPC makes adjustable front arms for the 2g GS. If you need some info or want a set feel free to shoot us a PM
Old 07-26-10, 01:43 PM
AuckB
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the replys, i think my first step is bigger rims.. heres some i photoshop'd real quick

idk kinda like these and found some near my place.. and they are 18's
what you think??
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/pts/1853984077.html
Old 07-26-10, 01:52 PM
AuckB
Driver School Candidate

want to keep the rims oem cause cant really afford anything more but if anyone knows of some dope oem rims that would look good on my gs, let me know with some pics
looking for 7teens or 8teens

Quick Reply: Camber Kit??