Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Quick Coilover install question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-10, 06:44 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Quick Coilover install question

Guys,

I am trying to install my Megan coilovers and am at part 6 of this tutorial

http://garage.projectraine.com/conte...ng/spring.html

I just broke my universal and am having serious issues trying to get these 2 x 14mm bolts out so I can slide the shock/spring out. Is it possible at this point to have someone stand on the hub so you can get the shock out?

Thanks,
Jonny
Old 07-23-10, 07:11 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to stand on my hubs to pull the stock shocks/springs out...if you have someone to help its a HUGE plus, but it can be done solo. I didnt use a universal at all to remove my stock suspension.
Old 07-23-10, 07:16 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same, used a pry bar to help force the suspension down and got me enough room to fit a a socket without a universal. Did it all with just my two hands, took some finesse, but possible.
Old 07-23-10, 07:24 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by turbodremz
I had to stand on my hubs to pull the stock shocks/springs out...if you have someone to help its a HUGE plus, but it can be done solo. I didnt use a universal at all to remove my stock suspension.
Originally Posted by 3Rotor
I did the same, used a pry bar to help force the suspension down and got me enough room to fit a a socket without a universal. Did it all with just my two hands, took some finesse, but possible.
Thanks guys I am waiting for my gf to get here and have her stand on the hub and see if I can get it out that way. If not, I guess I am going to just take that 19mm upper control arm bolt off which should let me drop it enough to clear with the shock...

I'm almost at the stage where I am thinking I should have just brought it somewhere that has a lift

Jonny
Old 07-23-10, 08:11 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The last time we tried taking the upper control arm bolt off, it got jammed towards the front near the fender liner, not sure if it was just the car itself or applies to all. It gave us a head ache, we thought it would be a simple unbolt, in the end it was more trouble than it was worth.

If you have access to a c-clamp, the vise-grip kind, you can compress the spring using a floor jack and hold the tension with the clamp, should give you about an extra inch of playing room.
Old 07-24-10, 06:14 PM
hotshot27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pics of install yet? i'm in the market asap
Old 07-24-10, 07:18 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hotshot27
pics of install yet? i'm in the market asap
I didn't get the opportunity to work on the install today unfortunately, but I plan on completing it tomorrow.

I should have it finished, polished and ready to go for the Tulsa meet in a couple of weeks, it not before. I will give you first opportunity to check it out before I list it for sale.

Regards,
Jonny
Old 07-25-10, 09:59 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I had my setup installed at Hyperspeed Motorsports and it was pretty difficult to get the front two struts out as well. Are you going from stock suspension to the Megans?
Old 07-25-10, 02:43 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Man what kind of u-joint are you using that end up breaking? Even my Duralast joints withstood multiple SC shock/spring install
Old 07-26-10, 05:43 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Well guys, got the suspensions finished yesterday, and I am very happy with it. The drop is perfect, plenty low for a good stance, but not too low to rub. I went from KYB shocks and cut springs to these and obviously the difference is amazing. Couple of things to mention to anyone taking on this install:

When you get to #6 on the above guide I posted in the first link, instead of trying to remove that bracket, remove the upper control arm bolt. Takes 30 seconds and makes the rest of the install a breeze. To get that bolt back in, it helps to have a mirror and flashlight so you can see all the way through.

Rears are simple. Just one bolt. The guide said it was a 17mm bolt but mine was a 19mm. And one final word of advice, which is super important. Do both the fronts at the same time, as with the rears. I got a little carried away on the rears and installed one side before the other, and hence couldn't get the shock/spring out. As soon as I disconnected the side I had put on, then the other side was able to pop right in

Gsteg - it was a Harbor Freight POS universal

I know people will request pics, but unfortunately I don't have any yet. Finishing up all the little issues with the car right now, then I will get to picture time

Regards,
Jonny

Jonny
Old 07-26-10, 07:39 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Dx3
Well guys, got the suspensions finished yesterday, and I am very happy with it. The drop is perfect, plenty low for a good stance, but not too low to rub. I went from KYB shocks and cut springs to these and obviously the difference is amazing. Couple of things to mention to anyone taking on this install:

When you get to #6 on the above guide I posted in the first link, instead of trying to remove that bracket, remove the upper control arm bolt. Takes 30 seconds and makes the rest of the install a breeze. To get that bolt back in, it helps to have a mirror and flashlight so you can see all the way through.

Rears are simple. Just one bolt. The guide said it was a 17mm bolt but mine was a 19mm. And one final word of advice, which is super important. Do both the fronts at the same time, as with the rears. I got a little carried away on the rears and installed one side before the other, and hence couldn't get the shock/spring out. As soon as I disconnected the side I had put on, then the other side was able to pop right in

Gsteg - it was a Harbor Freight POS universal

I know people will request pics, but unfortunately I don't have any yet. Finishing up all the little issues with the car right now, then I will get to picture time

Regards,
Jonny

Jonny
I'm looking forward to seeing it. How long did it take you to install everything? As soon as I get a jack, I may have to swap out my suspension with the stock one soon.
Old 07-26-10, 08:35 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kira X
I'm looking forward to seeing it. How long did it take you to install everything? As soon as I get a jack, I may have to swap out my suspension with the stock one soon.
It took a lot longer than it should unfortunately Firstly I dealt with a badly stripped bolt that required some dremel action. Thankfully I have the parts car in my garage so I got the new bolt from it

Then after dicking around with the spring compressor I decided to drop the upper control arm, so that was time wasted on the compressor.

With the rear I put the one side on before the other side was completely detached - so that wasted more time.

If you were to follow my instructions that I posted above, I think it could be done within 2 hours. For a first timer I would say 4 hours. I'm sure there are plenty of mechanically-minded people who could knock it out first time in 2 hours however...

Hope this helps,
Jonny