Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

HAWK Brake Pads for 2GS

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 04:34 PM
TonyHC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HAWK Brake Pads for 2GS

Where can I get the best pricing for HAWK HPS pads for my 2GS? Im thinking about taking it to MidAmerica in August and I want to get the pads and some miles on it before the track.

Any fellow 2GS members on here near MidAmerica? If so, lets meet up, bring a helmet and you can ride along with me. I have an AARRF High speed license and many HPDE events under my belt.

It would be nice to meet other Lexus owners too during my trip.
Old 07-22-10, 07:55 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

there are some vendors on here who sell them,check the vendor section
Old 07-22-10, 08:35 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought my brakes for my supra TT calipers from buybrakes.com,

they also have a coupon and price match
Enter the Promotional Coupon Code "FP08010" during the check out process and you will save an additonal $10.00 on your purchases or freight cost from BuyBrakes.com on purchases over $99.00. The coupon may be used on any product or combination of products.
Old 07-22-10, 09:13 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.R1concepts.com carries them.
Old 07-22-10, 10:16 PM
TonyHC
Driver

Thanks guys for the replies. A lot of the places had similar prices. Some with lower prices but higher shipping charges and some with higher prices, but with Free shipping.

I ordered HAWK HPS PADS. A set for the front and a set for the rear for my GS4.

Thanks Spyder78, for the link to buybrakes.com With that discount coupon code and Free Shipping, their price was pretty good. Even better than the lowest one I found on eBay with Free shipping.
Old 07-22-10, 11:00 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can, keep us posted on how the hawks perform in comparison to OEM.

Old 07-22-10, 11:29 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I ask why you decided to go with the hawk hps pads instead of other brands out there? Have you ever considered Carbotech pads? If you're into serious tracking, I'd look into these pads or performance frictions.
Old 07-22-10, 11:44 PM
TonyHC
Driver

Well, Ive never tracked the Lexus before so I couldnt tell you the difference between OEM and Hawk, but I can tell you it was a world of difference in the CRX and Integra I tracked years ago at Brainerd Intl. Speedway and MidAmerica.

Many years ago I took a DA Integra with JDM B18c to an open lapping event at Brainerd. Turn # 3 is brake killer on that track. I felt brake fade just after some hot laps. These were with some higher end NAPA metallic pads. I went through a whole set at one event. Horrible! I could care less about the wear. It was the performance that sucked.

I tried HAWK HPS pads and could feel the difference. I did experience a little brake fade, but I really had to beat on it to feel it. After it cooled down, I had braking again, whereas if you overheat or glaze other cheap pads, they are done for.

After that experience I was sold on these pads. In my Turbo CRX I decided to go with the HAWK HP+ which are a more aggressive pad. That Turbo CRX project is still in progress, which is why I plan to track my GS4 this season.

With the Lexus being so much heavier than the CRX or Integra, I knew the OEM pads wouldnt hold up to the abuse at MidAmerica. 2 years ago, I tracked a buddy's 450+hp Turboed Civic Coupe and his brakes were the weak link. We have in-car video of passing Vettes, BMW's and Lotus Exige's, but we lost ground at the end of the straightaway because those cars could brake way later than we could.

Right now, I feel the weakest link for my GS4 will be the Falken FK452's. I run Yokohama A-032's on my CRX, but I just dont have the funds for sticky tires for the Lexus.
Old 07-22-10, 11:52 PM
TonyHC
Driver

Alexus, I heard good things about Carbotech and Porterfield brake pads. I havent tried them yet, but the HAWK hasnt given me a reason to switch yet. I went with the HPS on the Lexus because its still my daily driver and I dont want a pad that will squeek or perform poorly when its not heated up enough during daily driving like the serious racing pads.

Taking the Lexus to the track is just to tie me over until my Turbo'ed CRX project is finished. With running my business, a newborn daughter, and a home to take care of, time and money is not what it used to be for me.

I went with the Tanabe NF210's with a new set of OEM Lexus shocks to keep a nice Lexus ride. Im curious to how well it does at MidAmerica. I know the FK452's will be my weak link.
Old 07-23-10, 12:24 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Tony, it's good to finally see someone else who actually tracks their lexus once in a while. As far as braking goes, I found that the stock caliper does quite good in terms of clamping force. I only upgraded the calipers on my GS300 because I wanted a brake system that can provide fade free braking. I just recently setup a friend of mine's brake setup using the factory caliper and what we did was upgrade the rotors to DBA 4000 series rotor and Carbotech 1521 pads with SS lines and ATE Blue fluid. This proved to be the best setup since their was absolutely no noise when the brakes are cold and initial bite was good but can endure the heat from hard track use. As far as tires goes, I'd look into a set of Falken RT-615 if you're on a budget as they are currently on sale now since a new updated version just came out about three months ago. LMK if you have anymore questions.
Old 07-23-10, 12:35 PM
TonyHC
Driver

The HAWKS are ordered and on the way. Do you know if the ATE stains the reservoir? Im a clean freak when it comes to my cars and if I can avoid staining of the brake system, I will avoid it. Im looking into fluid from Motul also.

Too bad you are in NC. Let me know if you ever come up to MN for Brainerd or Nebraska for MidAmerica. I will look into the RT-615's. Thanks for the heads up. I hope they have them for staggered fitment.....245/35/19 Fronts and 275/30/19 Rears

Actually I will take you up on your offer of more questions. Please see the other post I made about baffled oil pans for our Lexuses during track use. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-10, 01:56 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

ATE makes DOT4 fluid in the non blue color.
Old 07-23-10, 10:09 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TonyHC
The HAWKS are ordered and on the way. Do you know if the ATE stains the reservoir? Im a clean freak when it comes to my cars and if I can avoid staining of the brake system, I will avoid it. Im looking into fluid from Motul also.

Too bad you are in NC. Let me know if you ever come up to MN for Brainerd or Nebraska for MidAmerica. I will look into the RT-615's. Thanks for the heads up. I hope they have them for staggered fitment.....245/35/19 Fronts and 275/30/19 Rears

Actually I will take you up on your offer of more questions. Please see the other post I made about baffled oil pans for our Lexuses during track use. Thanks in advance.
ATE makes two brake fluid that are interchangeable. The blue dye is added into the fluid to help with bleeding. Their is the ATE blue which has blue dye in it, and then there is the Type 2000. It's the same fluid, just one has blue dye the other don't. I switch back and forth between fluid when bleeding them to help me with identifying which one is the newer of the two fluids. As far as staining goes, the ATE blue does not stain at all which I like. But I've never left my brake fluid in my car for more than a years time. It's cheap as I buy a case of 12 liter at a time and split it with friends. So I feel $12/year is cheap insurance for something that will save my life.