Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilover spring rate/ height debate

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-10, 04:12 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Coilover spring rate/ height debate

Whats good everyone. I recently pick up some a set of JIC coilovers and put on some new wheels. After riding with them for about a month I'm debating about picking up something more stiffer. This is the thing, they ride incredible!!!!!!!!! Smooth is not the word, but they are too soft for NYC street at my height, meaning the upper control arms hit on dips, and holes. I could cut a hole for the Upper control arm to come through but I don't really want to hack up my car anymore.

i really don't want to let them go but the struts are valved to be very comfortable and NYC streets are a nightmare at my height. I can either raise it....not gonna happen LOL, Cut a hole for the control arm....right now not gonna happen, or let them go for something else.

After reading through the BC thread and noticing BC's don't drop low at all, so they are out of the question. I am looking into some stance coilovers.

I really don't want to let them go so I'M trying to find a work around. In the BC thread some have changed their springs with stiffer swift ones but their struts where not valved for the change. It looks like my only way of keeping them is to cut a hole and I really don't want to do that anymore.

My boy's accord and the GS

[IMG][/IMG]

The street is angled so not a good pic of the actual ride height.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

JIC coilovers installed

[IMG][/IMG]

Name:  GEDC0575.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  132.2 KB

This is V before he destroyed my front fender......LOL

Name:  GEDC0562.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  129.2 KB

Last edited by nar8ta; 07-04-10 at 04:49 AM.
Old 07-04-10, 07:18 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

BCs can lay your car on the ground if you need to. No coilovers will get your car as low as you want without adjusting the upper perch. This whole 'BC dont go as low" thing is being blown out of proportion.

Second of all, BC valving can accommodate up to +/- 2kg/mm spring changes.

Your other option is to increase the spring rate using swift or hypercoil's custom spring.

Or just go air
Old 07-04-10, 11:21 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

nothing wrong with my swift springs... love it. The valving is okay too, but I put it on stiff with 4 or 5 clicks left over. I still got the BC 12/10 rates brand new and un touched if it fits.

Maybe u can go with hyperco... take pix if u do.

As far as drops go, other members are saying that the max drop are the same with other coilovers too, they have to adjust the perch as suggested by Gsteg. Is this the case with your JIC? Based on that pic, looks like you dropped the perch too.

I would say, upgrade with another spring and spring rate.
Old 07-04-10, 12:05 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by GSteg
BCs can lay your car on the ground if you need to. No coilovers will get your car as low as you want without adjusting the upper perch. This whole 'BC dont go as low" thing is being blown out of proportion.

Second of all, BC valving can accommodate up to +/- 2kg/mm spring changes.

Your other option is to increase the spring rate using swift or hypercoil's custom spring.

Or just go air

I hear you but I'm talking about this thread...check out the pictures and read through it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-w-o-rcas.html

Originally Posted by sam430
nothing wrong with my swift springs... love it. The valving is okay too, but I put it on stiff with 4 or 5 clicks left over. I still got the BC 12/10 rates brand new and un touched if it fits.

Maybe u can go with hyperco... take pix if u do.

As far as drops go, other members are saying that the max drop are the same with other coilovers too, they have to adjust the perch as suggested by Gsteg. Is this the case with your JIC? Based on that pic, looks like you dropped the perch too.

I would say, upgrade with another spring and spring rate.
This sound like a good alternative but it won't work for my JIC's because the struts are valved so soft.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2490

The JIC will lay the frame on the floor and you barely will be able to put a jack under there, over kill if you ask me.

What do you guys think about the Stance GR+ coilovers, a few CL members (bklynboi) said that they ride really nice but they are stiffer. Bklynboi lives in NYC as well so he understands theses streets LOL. Also I noticed if I go stiffer I can lower the car more without having to wipe out my fenders LOL. I may have some stuff to put for sale in the classified section as soon as I make up my mind about the suspension.

Anyone know what these two silver GS are sitting on....coils or air? This is obviously ride height...which looks really nice!

Thanks fellas for all of yall input.....

Last edited by nar8ta; 07-04-10 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-04-10, 01:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by nar8ta
I hear you but I'm talking about this thread...check out the pictures and read through it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-w-o-rcas.html

I posted in that thread regarding the drop. What the OP was trying to achieve is 'slamming' the car without having to use RCAs and adjusting the upper perch. No matter what coilovers you go with, you're most likely going to run into the same problem. I have yet to see any coilover lay the car's frame on the ground while adjusting the shock body alone.
Old 07-04-10, 02:26 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hah thats my silver car right there, the first one.
im on stance coilovers.
they ride smooth and go low. in the pictures, the coilover is in around the middle. it can go lower.
and for the UCA hitting the wheel wells, just cut the hole. i havent cut mine but if it hits, it hits. nothing can help otherwise. IIRC, stance comes with 14/12 spring rates.
Old 07-04-10, 02:41 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

IC, that escaped me... you do need to re-valve or it'll bounce like a boat. I wonder if JIC will provide that service to you... or maybe attempt at DIY.
Old 07-04-10, 03:00 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im on megans their perfect for me, i daily drive mine and my uca's hit so i just set it almost full stiff..id say do the swift springs man...i like a stiff ride now, i want to go stiffer
Old 07-04-10, 03:17 PM
GSteg
Rookie

IC, that escaped me... you do need to re-valve or it'll bounce like a boat. I wonder if JIC will provide that service to you... or maybe attempt at DIY.
Try getting JIC to even rebuild their coilovers, let alone revalve the shocks. Customer service is practically nonexistent.
Old 07-04-10, 06:42 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

I posted in that thread regarding the drop. What the OP was trying to achieve is 'slamming' the car without having to use RCAs and adjusting the upper perch. No matter what coilovers you go with, you're most likely going to run into the same problem. I have yet to see any coilover lay the car's frame on the ground while adjusting the shock body alone.
Look at the picture above (white GS) bro those are JIC's. I accidentally turn the lower perch the wrong way and the car fenders covered the tires completely and I don't have RCA's, so in other cases with other coils you are right but in this case you are wrong. The JIC's slam!
Old 07-04-10, 06:57 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by 5t341th
hah thats my silver car right there, the first one.
im on stance coilovers.
they ride smooth and go low. in the pictures, the coilover is in around the middle. it can go lower.
and for the UCA hitting the wheel wells, just cut the hole. i havent cut mine but if it hits, it hits. nothing can help otherwise. IIRC, stance comes with 14/12 spring rates.

I love your car bro....do u have RCA's? Won't the RCA's bring the UCA high which would make the car bottom out more? Are u running yours on full stiff? How are the stances over bumps and dips?

No I'm not gonna mess with them they ride great already, I'll just let them go.

Originally Posted by Anthony
im on megans their perfect for me, i daily drive mine and my uca's hit so i just set it almost full stiff..id say do the swift springs man...i like a stiff ride now, i want to go stiffer
LOL go for it!!!

Try getting JIC to even rebuild their coilovers, let alone revalve the shocks. Customer service is practically nonexistent.
I can't agree i spoke with them on the phone when I had a question on the install. They walked me through it. Also they don't need rebuilding they are like new.....
Old 07-04-10, 08:31 PM
GSteg
Rookie

JIC is known in the car community to have poor customer service. It's not just a one-time thing either. Search most forums and they'll all say the same. It's one thing for them to pick up the phone and talk to you, but it's a whole different thing when you actually need to rebuild the coils. I've got lots of friends with JICs but the relatively low shock life and super long turnaround time has swayed most of them to go with a different setup.
Old 07-04-10, 08:37 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by nar8ta
Look at the picture above (white GS) bro those are JIC's. I accidentally turn the lower perch the wrong way and the car fenders covered the tires completely and I don't have RCA's, so in other cases with other coils you are right but in this case you are wrong. The JIC's slam!

Yes those are JIC but how do you know they haven't touched the upper perch? I can tuck tires on my HKS with just one perch (not shock body), but that doesn't really mean much. I am still not sure why it's such a priority for you to be able to 'slam' with just the shock body adjustment. The BCs can slam your car just as much, but with having to adjust the upper perch just a bit. Sure JIC can slam, but they may be too soft for you. BC might not be low enough for you, but they do well in regards to spring rates and valvings. It's all about compromise, but it looks like BC will do both if you just do some minor adjustments. With the JIC, you can't have both slamming and stiffer spring rate.

I'm not trying to argue with you. I am trying to show you the BC coilovers (or any other coils) can do what you need it to do if you just give it a try.
Old 07-04-10, 11:14 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

no rca's. i see no need for em.
the RCA brings the uca down more. so actually, theres more clearance from the wheel well.
i forgot about those.
Old 07-05-10, 01:41 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Yes those are JIC but how do you know they haven't touched the upper perch? I can tuck tires on my HKS with just one perch (not shock body), but that doesn't really mean much. I am still not sure why it's such a priority for you to be able to 'slam' with just the shock body adjustment. The BCs can slam your car just as much, but with having to adjust the upper perch just a bit. Sure JIC can slam, but they may be too soft for you. BC might not be low enough for you, but they do well in regards to spring rates and valvings. It's all about compromise, but it looks like BC will do both if you just do some minor adjustments. With the JIC, you can't have both slamming and stiffer spring rate.

I'm not trying to argue with you. I am trying to show you the BC coilovers (or any other coils) can do what you need it to do if you just give it a try.
Thanks for you info, but we are getting nowhere. Your arguing a point which I'm not arguing. I said they can slam not that i need them to. Reread what i posted above (over kill) LOL.

And no BC's for me LOL thanks anyway.

Quick Reply: Coilover spring rate/ height debate