Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Radial Pull? Bad Alignment? Nazi Zombies?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-10, 09:50 AM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radial Pull? Bad Alignment? **** Zombies?!

Hey guys,

Just got back from my second alignment. I was hoping I could post the results and the hopefully the long time GS pros would have some input on the issues I'm having. Those **** Zombies ARE killing me on Call of Duty... but that's another thread altogether.

Here is what I'm running:
-Toms Coilovers
-Daizen Bushing kit
-Daizen Swaybar bushings
-3 week old tires (Dunlop Direzza (rear) Toyo Proxe 4's (front))

Here are my issues still:
-Car pulls to the right (much more noticable at freeway speeds)
-Above 60MPH I get this intermittent shake, in a pattern. The car will shake for 2 seconds and stop for 1 second. It repeats as I drive. Very odd

Here is my last alignment spec. I would love to get some adjustable RCA and UCA's but it doesn't look too far out now... yet I still have issues.

I saw elsewhere that OEM specs were

Front
-Caster -0.8 to 0.2
-Camber 7.1 to 8.1
-Toe -.03 to 0.18

Rear
-Camber -1.3 to 0.3
-Toe -.03 to 0.17

Thoughts?

Last edited by Newchapter; 06-16-10 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-16-10, 09:56 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Switch the wheels around and see if the car starts pulling in the opposite direction.
Old 06-16-10, 10:21 AM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

If only they weren't directional and my wheels weren't staggered...
Old 06-16-10, 10:44 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Newchapter
If only they weren't directional and my wheels weren't staggered...

I don't understand this... what do you mean directional? I didn't know wheels were directional except maybe the astetic part of it. Tires may be directional but you can still test them. Even it it's staggered, you can still test them unless it wont fit or clear fender.
Old 06-16-10, 11:06 AM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

My tires are directional. I don't think my 10.5's et +15 on the back will fit up front..
Old 06-16-10, 11:48 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

directions being swapped backwards should be ok on dry pavement.. its the wet pavements u should be careful around since the water displacement sipes are flipped the other way. Test to see if the tires are the reason why it pulls.
Old 06-16-10, 11:55 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Here are my issues still:
-Car pulls to the right (much more noticable at freeway speeds)
-Above 60MPH I get this intermittent shake, in a pattern. The car will shake for 2 seconds and stop for 1 second. It repeats as I drive. Very odd

my silver GS car had the same shaking problem too.. its just like that along with i feel it shaking from the front n then transferring all the way to the back.... i am assuming that the front end frame damage did that.. but not sure. does your car have frame damage?
Old 06-16-10, 12:09 PM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vwynn
directions being swapped backwards should be ok on dry pavement.. its the wet pavements u should be careful around since the water displacement sipes are flipped the other way. Test to see if the tires are the reason why it pulls.
I'll do this

Originally Posted by vwynn
my silver GS car had the same shaking problem too.. its just like that along with i feel it shaking from the front n then transferring all the way to the back.... i am assuming that the front end frame damage did that.. but not sure. does your car have frame damage?
I did notice that one control arm had writing on it, as if it had come from a parts yard... but all of my panels still have my VIN on them. So if it WAS in an accident it had to have been something like a curb, etc. I measured my caster arm lengths (bolt to bolt) and they were identical. Last time I went in they rushed my car through and told me I had caster problems (they were a degree off). So I went back thinking they just didn't take their time. Low and behold, my caster is nearly identical now... but I drove like that on new tires for 3 weeks, so maybe I just damaged the tires.

As far as the vibration, it initially felt like it was in the rear. I also get a clunk on an aggressive acceleration (from a stop), so I considered rear end bushings could be a factor.
Old 06-16-10, 01:00 PM
GSteg
Rookie

My tires are directional. I don't think my 10.5's et +15 on the back will fit up front..
No I meant swap them side to side. There is no point in swapping front to rear and rear to front if you're testing out for radial pull.
Old 06-16-10, 01:14 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

I'll do this

I did notice that one control arm had writing on it, as if it had come from a parts yard... but all of my panels still have my VIN on them. So if it WAS in an accident it had to have been something like a curb, etc. I measured my caster arm lengths (bolt to bolt) and they were identical. Last time I went in they rushed my car through and told me I had caster problems (they were a degree off). So I went back thinking they just didn't take their time. Low and behold, my caster is nearly identical now... but I drove like that on new tires for 3 weeks, so maybe I just damaged the tires.

As far as the vibration, it initially felt like it was in the rear. I also get a clunk on an aggressive acceleration (from a stop), so I considered rear end bushings could be a factor.
the best way to check for front end frame damage is to remove the fenders.. usually if the body shop guy doesnt do a 100% good job u can find some flaws there.

of course a new arm doesnt always mean past frame damage. prev owner could have hit a bug curb or hit something big enough the damage the suspension which needed to get replaced.
Old 06-16-10, 02:15 PM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

I would assume that all original fenders mean that there couldn't be much frame damage under them...

However, the tech said the suspension on these is similar to that of the IS300 whereas the post for the caster arm can get bent itself upon impact... can't really replace that...I think
Old 06-16-10, 02:15 PM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
No I meant swap them side to side. There is no point in swapping front to rear and rear to front if you're testing out for radial pull.
Gotcha. I will definitely try this
Old 06-16-10, 02:21 PM
SCVIP300
Pole Position

have you also checked to see if your bushings are giving out? regardless if they are daizen doesnt make them last a lifetime....

also you might want to check and see if there is anything catching in the wind.....after 40 mph air drag could play a small part in the pull....make sure all your plastic panels are acting like a huge parachute

gl
Old 06-16-10, 02:53 PM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

I hope those bushings haven't died, they're not even 2 months old...

I'll look though...
Old 06-16-10, 04:01 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Highly doubt it's the bushings. The one that experiences the most wear is the caster bushing and judging from your alignment, they're still good.

Quick Reply: Radial Pull? Bad Alignment? Nazi Zombies?!