Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help! Creaking noise in back of car.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-02, 06:30 PM
GSman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Creaking noise in back of car.

Hi,

I need help in trouble shooting a creaking noise that recently developed in the right rear of the car. Has anyone else experienced creaking with their suspension upgrades?

My current suspension set-up is comprised of L-tuned shocks/springs, TOM's front & rear lower brace, rear 6 piece brace kit, rear STB and TRD STB & sways. The last upgrades were all the TOM's stuff and they have been on for about 3 months without any noises.

The creaking only occurs under body shift load, i.e. accelerating from stop, turning etc. When parked, I tried bouncing the back and did not notice the noise, so maybe it might not be the shocks/springs? Could it be the rear STB? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Last edited by GSman; 06-22-02 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-22-02, 07:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Must be your jaw creaking, cause everything else ought to be tighter than a nun!
Old 06-22-02, 10:05 PM
GSman
Pole Position

Thanks Bit....LOL! I already checked the fillings, joints and jaw. Actually, the handling is not too harsh since I did not go with coil-overs.
Old 06-22-02, 10:09 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

With regards to the GS430, I had my right rear strut replaced when I had a creaking noise, but it was when I would jump up and down on the driver's side that the noise would appear, or when I would leave and enter my car when I was 85 lbs heavier than I am now. The strut was replaced but the noise still appeared, only recently has the noise disappeared. I guess the suspension needed to settle, since my car only has 8300 miles and I purchased it back in May of 01. Good luck with getting rid of the noise. I doubt it's your upgrades if the noise existed prior to upgrades.
Old 06-23-02, 01:03 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Sounds to me like its your rear body sway bar "BUSHINGS"
If they are "NEOPREN" bushings then thats your problem! Those bushings can make that noise even if they are brand new! I know cause I had the same problem on my previous car.
The only way to tell is to get under the car and spay some lubricant white greese or WD-40 on them and completely around them. Another words, trench them big time! Then take the car for a ride. If it doesn't do it then thats you problem. You can either replace them with non neopren bushings or continue to greese them. :eek: :eek:
Old 06-23-02, 09:01 AM
GSman
Pole Position

Thanks for the inputs. The noise was never there before the upgrades and just appeared recently.
Old 06-24-02, 10:42 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just fixed (another!) squeaky suspension car this weekend, it turned out to be the muffler rubbing on the bumper cover mounting tab...doh!!!

If you can't get it figured out, bring it down and I'll take a look at it...we've fixed many many flop jobs from other shops.

Todd Matsubara
TM Engineering LLC
Old 10-04-02, 11:44 PM
eppan
Pole Position

Well, I have no suspension mods on my 99 GS however, I am getting creaking noise from the passenger side of the car. Especially so when their is a passenger and only really happens when coming out of cornering and some bumps on the road.

The worst thing is that it is not a constant noise and recreating it is tough...seems fine when the service tech rides with me.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10-06-02, 08:30 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Eppan, you might try going over some of those speed "humps" that have become popular for slowing traffic on residential streets. At 25 mph or so, they provide high amplitude but low frequency suspension compression which ought to allow duplication of your squeak.

SharpLS is correct re bushings; Toyota has had some neoprene problems over the years. Doesn't sound like GSMan's problem, unless his bushing(s) have just started to squeak, which is certainly possible. And if it is bushings, lubing will work for awhile, but sooner or later you'll have to replace them (not a big deal).
Old 10-07-02, 12:48 PM
eppan
Pole Position

Thanks for the your suggestions...mooretorque
Old 10-12-02, 12:41 AM
Likecars
Rookie

That's exactly when mine happens, early in the am leaving the neighborhood going over speed bumps. I get a creaking from the right front side. Having it checked out Monday. Once the suspension 'warms up' it goes away. I'll let you know what action is taken.
Old 10-19-02, 12:14 AM
Likecars
Rookie

Straight from the service invoice: Lack of lubrication in sway bar bushings; Removed sway bar bushings and applied silglide to bushings-retorqued to specs.

Problem fixed.
Old 10-27-02, 09:19 PM
eppan
Pole Position

Originally posted by Likecars
Straight from the service invoice: Lack of lubrication in sway bar bushings; Removed sway bar bushings and applied silglide to bushings-retorqued to specs.

Problem fixed.
How is it now that you had a chance to drive it a bit? I am taking mine in pretty soon for another oil change...so I figure that is when I will take care my issue.

Too bad they didn't change out the bushings.

Thanks for the post.
Old 11-30-02, 08:11 PM
Likecars
Rookie

Sorry, didn't see the follow up request.

Worked well for about two weeks then came back. I took it in and tried again, this time I was told they replaced the bushing, but my final invoice didn't reflect this. It still didn't fix the problem.

I had been hoping for a new shock this whole time, but they hadn't proposed that. I finally went to a diff. dealer just to get another set of eyes on it. Bingo, new shock and shock insulator. Hit the 2 week mark again with no return. Real happy since I am sitting at 48500 and now have two new front shocks. Gotta love 50k/4yr!
Old 12-24-02, 04:46 AM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Arrow interesting

i am hearing something similar on my front passenger side. i am running stock shocks still, with springs. someone told me it may be my sway bar being cracked? havent checked yet? but i think maybe its time for new front shocks? what kind did you get? how are they? im at about 50k also? let me know. take care!

Quick Reply: Help! Creaking noise in back of car.