Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need help deciding F&R sway bar upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-14, 06:17 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Need help deciding F&R sway bar upgrade

Price is a factor, but if its only $50 difference and is better, then don't factor that in.

But now lets pretend price isn't a factor. Which sway bars are the best in eliminating body roll and enhancing stability?

1. F-Sport F&R

2. Hotchkis F&R (Read somewhere they made the F-Sport? I am confused why they made their own..)

3. Cusco F&R

4. Any of the brands listed above for the fronts, and Sikky 3 way adjustable rear sway (says it has "Heavy duty heim joints endlink set with adjustable preload turnbuckles") whatever that means.

Any feedback, info, experience would be greatly appreciated. I also will be getting coil overs, so this isn't the only suspension mod i'll be doing.
Old 07-11-14, 06:30 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can probably get the best deal on the f-sport if you look around. Check sewell. They don't do me much good because shipping to Canada is expensive.

Sikky sells a rear but no front. Because you are changing the position of the endlink when you adjust the stiffness, you can adjust the length of the endlink to help compensate. Or if you adjust your ride height you can adjust the length of the end link to compensate. The end links look to be of good quality. I don't know how critical it is to readjust the length of the end link, but the further you get away from a 90 degree angle between sway and end link, the less effective the sway bar is going to be. At least it seems so to me. I don't see too many adjustable end links on ebay, but if you aren't lowering your car much and go with a non-adjustable sway, an adjustable end link isn't going to do you much good anyway.
I have mine on the "softest" setting which is about equivalent to the f-sport. It does make the car more fun in the corners.

BTW, other option is Jun-TW

I thought I had seen Toms with a front sway, but can't find one, so I removed it, and Ultra Racing seems to indicate it is only for the IS300.

Last edited by scott1256c; 07-11-14 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-11-14, 06:49 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

How are the F-Sports vs. Cusco?
Old 07-11-14, 07:25 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Your sig shows/lists an '09 M3... Just curious why you are so worried about handling mods on an IS250?

There are really two choices in the swaybar world for an IS250:

1. F Sport
2. Everything else.

Given the cost increase (it is a lot more than $50 if you sign up with your CL user name at Sewell) and lack of information for option #2, 98.6% of the population that trolls this neighborhood goes with option 1. They are a great product and I don't know anyone who has been dissapointed with them.

As far as the Sikky adjustable, Sikky makes great stuff and I'm sure the bar is no different, but once upon a time I had an adjustable rear bar on a car. I never once touched the adjustment, even though it was a car that visited a race track from time to time. Not worth the hassle and change in dynamics on a street car.
Old 07-11-14, 07:45 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Best bang for buck (provided you use the Sewell discount) is the F-Sport F+R set. I have not heard much about the Hotchkis bars, and as mentioned above, the adjustable bar is nice, but definitely not necessary. I believe the Cusco bars offer the same benefits as the F-Sport bars, but they are Cusco parts if you're after a branded theme.
Old 07-11-14, 07:48 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Can you link the Sewell F-Sport Sways?

This car is my daily/commuting car. It's slow so no point trying there, but it has the potential to handle 'good' for daily driving/spirited city driving. I just want to make it so it's actually fun to turn in a corner, and also hopefully get better turn-in/feedback response and feel.

Going to also get Fortune500 coil overs w/ swift springs upgrade. Comes 12k/8k, I'm thinking 12k/10k or 14k/10k? Keep the 4k difference like the original preconfigured settings?
Old 07-11-14, 07:53 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Best bang for buck (provided you use the Sewell discount) is the F-Sport F+R set. I have not heard much about the Hotchkis bars, and as mentioned above, the adjustable bar is nice, but definitely not necessary. I believe the Cusco bars offer the same benefits as the F-Sport bars, but they are Cusco parts if you're after a branded theme.
Cusco that respected/high status of a company? They did something right to ask for higher prices. What'd they do?
Old 07-11-14, 08:24 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHarris
Can you link the Sewell F-Sport Sways?

This car is my daily/commuting car. It's slow so no point trying there, but it has the potential to handle 'good' for daily driving/spirited city driving. I just want to make it so it's actually fun to turn in a corner, and also hopefully get better turn-in/feedback response and feel.

Going to also get Fortune500 coil overs w/ swift springs upgrade. Comes 12k/8k, I'm thinking 12k/10k or 14k/10k? Keep the 4k difference like the original preconfigured settings?
Go here and sign up with an account using your Club Lexus screen name for the discount.

Fortune Auto 500 series coils are on my wish list as well. Be sure to post back your impressions/experience if you get a set
Old 07-11-14, 08:42 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the link to the F-Sport Sway set. Definitely register your CL username with them (like WylieKylie said) to get a discount (knocks the price of them down to a nice price).
Old 07-11-14, 08:48 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrHarris
I have BC coilovers with swift springs at 12K/10K in my IS350. Great compromise between good everyday ride and a solid increase in handling. I really like the linear response of the springs as well. Noticed a huge difference at the track compared to the OEM suspensions and I still love the every day ride thanks to the dampening adjustability.

I also have the F-Sport sways in. They are the cheapest option and work just as well as any of the other brands unless you want to pay the extra $ for adjustability.
Old 07-11-14, 09:05 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sportskid1
I have BC coilovers with swift springs at 12K/10K in my IS350. Great compromise between good everyday ride and a solid increase in handling. I really like the linear response of the springs as well. Noticed a huge difference at the track compared to the OEM suspensions and I still love the every day ride thanks to the dampening adjustability.

I also have the F-Sport sways in. They are the cheapest option and work just as well as any of the other brands unless you want to pay the extra $ for adjustability.

What do you think about 14k/10k theoretically based on your experience?

Also with your BCC's at 12k/10k, what dampening setting you have it at and how low are you (finger gaps)?
Old 07-11-14, 10:01 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Having owned a set of F Sport sways and chassis brace (among various other bars). The FSport are of great quality and perform well. I don't think it's worth the money for Cusco, Jun TW, Sikky because they are all the same or of little difference. I don't think you'll adjust the rear Sikky sway as much as you'd think you would. Same as when I slammed my car on coils, never touched it again. As others have said, get them from Sewell Lexus and call it a day. Good luck.

I also don't think you need the super stiff spring rates unless you want to lower your car and have agressive wheels. I ran fine with my Megan LP's with no finger and negative finger gap (tucking).

Last edited by Sffd103; 07-11-14 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-11-14, 10:11 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

I'll probably go with 12k front/10k rear. It comes preconfigured as 12k front/ 8k rear.
Old 07-11-14, 10:34 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm on BC coils with Swift springs, 12k front and 10k rear. Very very comfortable ride. I just rode in my coworker's Evo X with HSD coilovers, and I have a new appreciation for my setup. His car was bouncy as hell compared to mine. The only complaints I get from my passengers is that my car scrapes too much (due to a slightly aggressive wheel and tire setup in the front). If I relocate my bumper tabs and shave down a little metal directly in front of the wheel, I'll be golden.

I'm lowered to about 1 finger gap up front. Even with a conservative wheel setup, chances are you will still rub the inner fender liner and the front bumper on big enough dips.

For reference:
The following users liked this post:
TheUser (10-29-21)
Old 07-11-14, 11:57 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

If you enjoy cornering and hard braking, I'd recommend a 14k/10k combo. I went with 12k/8k (BCRs) with my DD IS350. Yeah, the ride quality is nice; but when I really hit the corners hard, I still get more roll than I'd want.

Quick Reply: Need help deciding F&R sway bar upgrade