Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TT Calipers, bled, dead space? Master cylinder upgrade? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 02:04 AM
KC83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thz very much ryan!!!
Old 07-21-10, 04:51 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NP, one other thing that I just thought about. The 6spd brake masters have only 2 fluid lines.

Not sure if this is a deal breaker or not, but could potentially throw a wrench in your plan if you have an automatic car.

What I would do is swap the calipers/lines/rotors bleed the system first before worrying about the brake master. You might not even feel the need to swap with the brake master.

You shouldn't have to go crazy with bleeding the system. If the pedal isn't getting firm-

check for leaks
make sure the brake bleeder valves are not at the bottom of the caliper when installed
install new hose and worm gear clamps on the brake booster(the thicker hose)
bleed the brake master

If pedal still doesn't get firm you may need to rebuild your calipers if you bought them used.

Last edited by RyanV; 07-21-10 at 05:00 AM.
Old 11-22-10, 10:23 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Update: Currently running LS400 Calipers and TT Rears. As I suspected the pedal travel is too much for my liking; once engaged, braking is great.

Once I get some down time and source a 1.06" TT master, I'll have it swapped out.
Old 11-22-10, 11:15 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
Update: Currently running LS400 Calipers and TT Rears. As I suspected the pedal travel is too much for my liking; once engaged, braking is great.

Once I get some down time and source a 1.06" TT master, I'll have it swapped out.
Why did u swap from TT to LS Calipers ?
Old 11-22-10, 05:21 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

^, I never had TT fronts, just the LS4's

Brakes may stay like this for a while. Only other reason for me to swap to TT fronts would be to have a better pad selection and match the rears of course.
Old 12-12-10, 05:32 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Question

3Rotor,

how is the brake caliper drag when your front wheel(s) is elevated above ground and you try to spin it?
Old 12-12-10, 02:08 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

^, There's not much resistance at all. There is a slight pad to rotor contact due to the residual friction but it's not any worse than stock.
Old 12-15-10, 10:18 PM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This whole dead space thing seems rather odd. I have a 1998 SC400 with Supra TT calipers front and rear, OEM rotors, pads, and shims on all four wheels and SS Brake lines. I am using the OEM Master cylinder and I don't have any unusual pedal travel. When I did the brake upgrade I had to leave the project for a few days and thus all of the original dirty fluid drained out. After I refilled and bled everything properly (at home) I did notice a soft pedal. I rebled twice and still had a soft pedal. I then took my car to the the Lexus dealer and had it bled. Apparently, there is some part of the ABS apparatus that can get air in it and it is very hard to bleed out (according to the Lexus Technician) and it requires some switching of the ABS. I didn't really get the full details but my brake pedal was perfect when I drove out of the dealership. Sure, it cost me $100 but at least I didn't spend the weekend trying to figure it out. Anyway, I am not sure if this helps but I thought that I would share my experience.
Good luck, everyone!
Old 12-15-10, 10:44 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

^, That could be, I know of some GM's doing that using the scan tool to deal with the ABS. I think it only becomes a problem when the system runs dry. When I swapped my calipers out the system still had fluid through the lines, the master never ran empty.
Old 12-16-10, 04:44 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lev00221
This whole dead space thing seems rather odd. I have a 1998 SC400 with Supra TT calipers front and rear, OEM rotors, pads, and shims on all four wheels and SS Brake lines. I am using the OEM Master cylinder and I don't have any unusual pedal travel. When I did the brake upgrade I had to leave the project for a few days and thus all of the original dirty fluid drained out. After I refilled and bled everything properly (at home) I did notice a soft pedal. I rebled twice and still had a soft pedal. I then took my car to the the Lexus dealer and had it bled. Apparently, there is some part of the ABS apparatus that can get air in it and it is very hard to bleed out (according to the Lexus Technician) and it requires some switching of the ABS. I didn't really get the full details but my brake pedal was perfect when I drove out of the dealership. Sure, it cost me $100 but at least I didn't spend the weekend trying to figure it out. Anyway, I am not sure if this helps but I thought that I would share my experience.
Good luck, everyone!

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
^, That could be, I know of some GM's doing that using the scan tool to deal with the ABS. I think it only becomes a problem when the system runs dry. When I swapped my calipers out the system still had fluid through the lines, the master never ran empty.
I had LS400 calipers and now I am in the process of switching over to the Supra TT's set. I did have the dead space with the LS calipers and I hope I dont have it now with TT and SS lines, but if I do after i bleed i will take your advice and have my frirend at the dealership do it for me
Old 12-16-10, 09:20 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lev00221

... I rebled twice and still had a soft pedal. I then took my car to the the Lexus dealer and had it bled. Apparently, there is some part of the ABS apparatus that can get air in it and it is very hard to bleed out (according to the Lexus Technician) and it requires some switching of the ABS. I didn't really get the full details but my brake pedal was perfect when I drove out of the dealership. Sure, it cost me $100 but at least I didn't spend the weekend trying to figure it out. Anyway, I am not sure if this helps but I thought that I would share my experience.
Good luck, everyone!
Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ

... but if I do after i bleed i will take your advice and have my frirend at the dealership do it for me
There is a way you can do this yourself and save the cost of the stealership. Just bleed the brakes as usual and then go drive it to some safe, out-of-the-way place where you can slam on your brakes and engage the ABS system. Do this a half dozen times from about 60 mph and you'll have cycled any air out of the ABS system. Then just go back and rebleed your brakes and you should be all set. $ = 0
Old 12-16-10, 10:02 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by good2go
There is a way you can do this yourself and save the cost of the stealership. Just bleed the brakes as usual and then go drive it to some safe, out-of-the-way place where you can slam on your brakes and engage the ABS system. Do this a half dozen times from about 60 mph and you'll have cycled any air out of the ABS system. Then just go back and rebleed your brakes and you should be all set. $ = 0
Yea man I just talked to my boi at the dealership and he said with the diagnostic tool he can engange the abs. So after I do the install this weekend and bleed I will see if I have this dead pedal feel. Also since he is my friend there wont be any stealership costs
Old 12-17-10, 10:57 AM
FUZION
Lexus Test Driver

any updates on this?
Old 10-20-13, 08:22 PM
fried_rice
Pole Position

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I almost purchased a 97 TT supra brake master cylinder without looking at mine first.

I've confirmed the 95+ 2 bolt SC master cylinder is 1 1/16" or 1.0625", which is is the same size as the biggest supra master cylinder available. It is cast on the top of the cylinder and I also measured.
Old 10-21-13, 10:41 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Bleed your master cylinder and the brakes will work significantly better. I don't have a tt master, just tt brakes all around and this fixed my long pedal travel

Quick Reply: TT Calipers, bled, dead space? Master cylinder upgrade? Anyone?