Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Would 15mm H&R spacers cause vibration at freeway speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-10, 11:58 PM
sjlex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would 15mm H&R spacers cause vibration at freeway speeds?

I'm getting pretty sick of the vibrations I get at highway speeds. I am pretty sure its coming from the rear. I'm on megan LP coilovers, aligned, roadforce balanced. The one thing that I suspect is the 15mm spacers in the rear that were installed a while ago.

Anyone with spacers experience vibrations? I go 65-80 mph and my passenger seat will shake like crazy and I can feel it throughout the car. It gets pretty annoying.

I am tempted to return the car back to stock just to have the car drive like a lexus.
Old 04-27-10, 12:23 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sjlex
I'm getting pretty sick of the vibrations I get at highway speeds. I am pretty sure its coming from the rear. I'm on megan LP coilovers, aligned, roadforce balanced. The one thing that I suspect is the 15mm spacers in the rear that were installed a while ago.

Anyone with spacers experience vibrations? I go 65-80 mph and my passenger seat will shake like crazy and I can feel it throughout the car. It gets pretty annoying.

I am tempted to return the car back to stock just to have the car drive like a lexus.

So you are "pretty sure" and you "suspect" it's the spacers? So can't you just remove the rear spacers to verify if the problem goes away????

Old 04-27-10, 12:37 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

He probably has the extended lug version. They may be too long for his lug nuts. I suppose he could possibly swap out the studs back to stock, but that is a journey itself
Old 04-27-10, 12:48 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
He probably has the extended lug version. They may be too long for his lug nuts. I suppose he could possibly swap out the studs back to stock, but that is a journey itself
If that's the case he could get some open end lug nuts, otherwise put on stock rims or borrow someone elses rims to see if the problem goes away.
Old 04-27-10, 01:18 AM
mistaanime
Pole Position

wouldn't hub rings make that problem go away? i dunno..just a guess..
Old 04-27-10, 01:21 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

If he bought the right spacers, then he already has hubcentric spacers (to the OEM wheel). If he has aftermarket wheels with different bore and no hub rings, then that could be an issue.
Old 04-27-10, 03:42 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As Henry stated...OP says he got H&R spacer...so its hubcentric already....hopefully...its the right one with 60.1mm bore. If so, I cannot imagine how the spacer causes vibrations.

Do you hub rings for your wheels to match the hub bore?

Its probably a suspension part, a damaged wheel, or bad alignment that may have created uneven tire wear that's causing the vibration. Have it checked out.
Old 04-27-10, 10:24 AM
sjlex
Driver

I have the extended lug version with stock wheels/lugnuts. Could that be the problem? Before that I had 19's with closed ended lug nuts. I have rx300 wheels so the bore should be right.
Old 04-27-10, 10:39 AM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PHML
Its probably a suspension part, a damaged wheel, or bad alignment that may have created uneven tire wear that's causing the vibration. Have it checked out.
Obviously it's all a guessing game until you isolate the problem but I think Pete is aiming in the right direction. The two times I've noticed annoying vibration were an indicator that my tires were worn (camber wear) and needed changing. Good luck getting it sorted out.
Old 04-27-10, 11:39 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Spacers can cause vibration, but it doesn't have to. I ran 25mm spacers with absolutely no vibration before. Anyway, even though the spacers supposed to be hubcentric, I would still try and remove them to eliminate them as being the problem. Just get some open ended Lexus lug nuts like those found on the UFC10/20 LS400's and such and remove the spacers and mount your RX rims. If they still vibrate you know you got a different problem. I would suspect worn down suspension bushings myself though.
Old 05-01-10, 09:56 AM
BIGVIC23
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How fast do you have to go for the vibration to start? I doubt its the spacers, usally they have the hubcentric on there, that actually helps eliminate the vibration (as gstec was saying) how many miles does your car have. It can be a few things..... lower ball joints....warped tires....loose lugs....low air in tires.....wrong size bore on spacers... bent rims.... bushings...

Do you have hubcentric rings for the front wheels?

oh and a wheel alignment doesnt usually cure vibration problems...hope this helps... keep us updated..
Old 05-03-10, 12:12 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

so whats the verdict on the vibration issue?
Old 05-07-10, 12:14 AM
ffgarage
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i also have a little vibration when i hit around 80MPH, but it disappears when i slow down to 60 or so.... i am riding on stock is350 18s and brand new tires, i am suspecting the suspension parts are getting old, any suggestions?
Old 05-07-10, 12:32 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ffgarage
i also have a little vibration when i hit around 80MPH, but it disappears when i slow down to 60 or so.... i am riding on stock is350 18s and brand new tires, i am suspecting the suspension parts are getting old, any suggestions?
Interesting..... I have the same EXACTLY problem! 80+ I feel wheel vibration, not steering wheel. But below 75 is smooth. WHY???
Old 05-12-10, 11:37 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have aftermarket wheels that obviously don't fit as perfectly as the GS OEM wheels and although I have hubcentric spacers I had the same issue with speeds between 70-80 mph getting the vibration. I had each tire spin balanced (without removing the wheels from the car) using strobe lights and it rides smooth as butter. Costs $15/wheel and there is only one place in town that still does this old school method.

Quick Reply: Would 15mm H&R spacers cause vibration at freeway speeds?