Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

my first real "help" thread (brakes and struts)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-10, 08:23 PM
0nePutt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my first real "help" thread (brakes and struts)

well Lexus looked at my car today and found that my front right caliper has been shut on my brake disc for who knows how long, my exhaust had a broken bracket but they fixed it today, my rear shock absorbers are broken, i need aftermarket struts cuz my springs are aftermarket and they dont match up right, and theres a small oil leak in the gasket connecting the trans and engine. the rings for that are only $60 but its $1500 for labor cuz they have to take the trans apart.

Lexus suggested i dont drive it because the brake issue is a saftey hazard

i need to buy aftermarket struts and a front right caliper, but how do i know what struts will fit my car with the tanabe springs?

im a senior in high school and i need my car for school, work, and golf so i need to be able to get my car driving ASAP so any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-05-10, 11:46 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what you mean as far as the brakes.

The leak sounds like a rear-main seal to me. They dont have to actually take the transmission apart, they just need to drop it to access the crankshaft seal on the backside of the engine.

As far as the springs/struts, whatever springs that are on the car currently were probably made for your stock struts... Lexus is probably just trying to cover their *** and recommending OEM everything. The Tanabe springs should fit almost whatever struts you provide. They were intended for OEM struts, so you could buy OEM struts or Tokico HP struts or anything that is model specific and they will fit.