Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

IS250 AWD - After lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 09:33 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is on the roadmagnets with 20's
Old 04-07-10, 09:54 AM
kenny_evo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PaPaHoFF

This is on the roadmagnets with 20's
looks not bad. i think i have plenty of room to do now

when you install your roadmagnets, did you change the shocks/struts? or just use stock shock/strut and change the springs only?
Old 04-07-10, 09:56 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kenny_evo
looks not bad. i think i have plenty of room to do now

when you install your roadmagnets, did you change the shocks/struts? or just use stock shock/strut and change the springs only?
Stock and just swapped springs. I dont think awd's have any other option. I had them on for a while and no problems.
Old 04-07-10, 09:57 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

These are stock wheels and 19" VIPS on RM springs after a few months of driving....
Attached Thumbnails IS250 AWD - After lowering springs-img_3929.jpg   IS250 AWD - After lowering springs-img_2660-medium-.jpg   IS250 AWD - After lowering springs-rear1-medium-.jpg  
Old 04-07-10, 10:09 AM
kevenhang
Pole Position

My S-tech drop on my AWD has a bigger gap in the front than the back!
Old 04-07-10, 12:10 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

I'll post some pics of mine later but I didn't have any shaking with my RM springs.
They're great springs but the drop might be a little too aggressive for me (well... for my fiancee, lol)
Old 04-29-10, 04:38 PM
Cristian0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stokeless
no aligment yet- waiting for my rims. the road magnet springs are made for the awd model. ride is great.

So am I safe to assume the slight shake will be fine...

Kenny Evo - I now live in MN. no longer in MI
any luck on fixing the slight shake?
Old 04-30-10, 06:49 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hellasboy
I'll post some pics of mine later but I didn't have any shaking with my RM springs.
They're great springs but the drop might be a little too aggressive for me (well... for my fiancee, lol)
I had the same concern. My wife didn't even realize I did it until I told her a week later. Even then she couldn't tell. When they are new the drop is not that extreme and the ride is really nice. After a few months the springs settle and the ride is still nice, just tighter when the suspension loads. It just feels like there is less travel.
Old 04-30-10, 07:51 AM
jay.catano
Driver School Candidate

i bought some swift springs for the my 250 awd cant wait to get them on and see how they look
Old 04-30-10, 08:41 AM
Chekmi21
Lead Lap

They say that people shouldn't drop the car on stock struts...what's the longest someone has gone with roadmagnet springs on stock struts before they blow?

I had a G35 coupe with the sport suspension. I changed to Tein S Techs, which was about a little over 1" drop. I had my car for 60k, not a single problem with the struts.
Old 04-30-10, 08:52 AM
CajunIS250
Driver School Candidate

I have my fingers crossed and will put M&H springs on my 07 IS250 AWD in about two weeks, after I put on the 19 x 8.5 +43 with 235/35-19 tires. I think it is 25-30% of AWD that have this issue. The guy I am getting the springs from had the shake and still has it after changing to coilovers. It is definitely the car and not the hardware.

If I do get the shake then the springs will come off immediately. Drivetrain geometry and stabilization are nothing to mess with. I imagine the AWD system costs quite a bit to repair.

Cajun
Old 04-30-10, 09:08 AM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Several of us lowered AWD GS3 owners have this vibration at idle and wobble during acceleration. I had Tanabe DF210s springs and now have BC Coilovers with the same issues. Issues were also present with stock rims and my staggered 20's.

There are a lot of theories as to what causes this (CV joints, CV angle, uneven drop, etc), but nothing consistent as some have the issues and some do not. A couple initially didn't have the issue, but did later on. The only thing confirmed is the lower you go and the heavier the load, the stronger the wobbles & vibrations.

The only solution is to go back to stock (I did it and confirmed it). However, that may not be true as some 06 AWD owners with stock setups are now reporting the wobbling during acceleration. So YES something is definitely wrong.

Last edited by telmz1; 04-30-10 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-30-10, 09:44 PM
Cristian0
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by telmz1
Several of us lowered AWD GS3 owners have this vibration at idle and wobble during acceleration. I had Tanabe DF210s springs and now have BC Coilovers with the same issues. Issues were also present with stock rims and my staggered 20's.

There are a lot of theories as to what causes this (CV joints, CV angle, uneven drop, etc), but nothing consistent as some have the issues and some do not. A couple initially didn't have the issue, but did later on. The only thing confirmed is the lower you go and the heavier the load, the stronger the wobbles & vibrations.

The only solution is to go back to stock (I did it and confirmed it). However, that may not be true as some 06 AWD owners with stock setups are now reporting the wobbling during acceleration. So YES something is definitely wrong.
Thats weird that it does it on stock setup. The people that have the stock setup should take it to the dealorship and have them check it out cause it should be under worrenty. Once that its solve, that should be the answer to everyones question. Man sometimes the wobble is annoying. I feel like i am breaking something cause I am sure as we all know that shouldnt be happening... Once again I wish I never went with the AWD and went with the RWD.
Old 06-03-10, 06:45 PM
Cristian0
Driver School Candidate

So today I had my friend in the car with me and he felt the wobbling. He asked me if they make driveshaft spacer for the IS AWD. The reason why he asked was because with his s2000 he had to get it so it wouldnt wobble. Has anyone heard of that for the IS/GS AWD? or has anyone figured out a solution for this problem? Here is a link to the driveshaft spacer for the s2k so to show you guys what i am talkin about. http://www.kgsengineering.com/produc...ducts_id=21923

Last edited by Cristian0; 06-03-10 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-03-10, 09:39 PM
Touge
Pole Position

They are talking about the spacers on the gs forum ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...n-data-15.html )... they currently think new axles will solve the issue. Have my fingers crossed and hope that is the case.

Quick Reply: IS250 AWD - After lowering springs