Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tanabe Sustec Pro Coilovers Review! Sideways gs inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-10, 09:11 AM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tanabe Sustec Pro Coilovers Review! Sideways gs inside

Well, after driving around on the tanabe coilovers for a couple months, I want to do a review. I'm in LOVE with these coilovers. I rock them on my s14 too. I picked up my gs around new years and the coilovers were my first purchase. I am setting up the car to be a daily, that can also tear up the track on the weekends if needed and my s14 is down. Up until this week, I had the coilovers installed with the helper springs as directed. This was a mistake, the helper springs exposed 2 major problems. One, being ride height and the other being ride quality.

slammed all the way with helper springs...

Name:  22550_10100229249683684_9309869_666.jpg
Views: 1408
Size:  38.1 KB

as for DD'ing with the coilovers... I noticed bumps were causing issues, well it seemed as if the car was using the helper springs to dampen the dip after a bump. Well aside from some body roll, there was a rough delay when the main springs were put under load. Sometimes it didnt sound too pleasant either.

Grip driving: the car handled like a 2door. some understeer developed, but that could be due to other causes as well. Still the same issues with bumps.

Drifting: Well, I didnt do any dry drifting until the helper springs were out. I just wasnt comfortable enough sliding her with those on. Plus, I had to remove the rear sway bar completely, disconnecting it, just made noise.

Well, onto the better. Helper springs removed! Aside from basically perfect ride height for drifting, the end result was extremely worth it. There is still maybe 3/4" wheel gap up front and rear is tucking tire.

DD:
on first test drive, I notice a slightly quieter ride. No more rough bumps! The suspension finally felt solid, without being harsh. I hate driving cars with coilovers that are so stiff you might shatter your teeth. The Sustec Pros offer awesome stability and stiffness with just the right amount of dampening that the coilovers should be driven on daily! They def give you the feel where you can roll right up onto the track, from the street, with plenty of ease and no suspension adjustment.

Grip:
Well Ive driven 911's, and I think I know what the 4door porsche feels like now. Its go baby go... oh yeah, there are coilovers on this thing? yeah, its that good, you forget about them and your focus is on the pavement.

Drifting:
These puppies are ready to handle the weight of the gs no problem. some slight body roll and give, but otherwise solid as can be. Its clear that these are for street and track. You always hope for no body roll on the track, especially transferring all that weight around, but the tanabes struck my liking just fine. I didnt think I'd be able to spin 18s with a NA 2j, but went into the first turn so fast, she happily kicked sideways on her own and stayed locked in. I mean, pure sex sliding the gs with these coilovers. I had such a blast, I cant wait to get the gs sideways again. the 240 might have to go into hiding soon. I wish I could have shot video to show how smooth she slid. Only like 2 pics came out from sliding cause everyone was just stunned in awe of a sliding 2gs.

Drift setup:
Slammed coils
open dif
automatic... haha
traction control off
removed rear sway bar
19x9 +25 wheels up front.(makes stance wider for you rooks)
2jtt swap after tubed front end

Name:  25564_10100278830448434_9309869_682.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  27.9 KB

Last edited by StarkoS14; 04-04-10 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-03-10, 09:24 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

More GS drift pics please..
Old 04-03-10, 09:35 AM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe if my 6 spoke 350z wheels didnt look so, 7 spoke? haha.. none of the other pics were any good. everyone watched instead of hitting a button on their camera