Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New Sway Bars & Strut bar???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-10, 09:10 AM
JoeyLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New Sway Bars & Strut bar???

Hi Guys -

First let me start by saying that I've been a member of CL for a few years now and although I haven't posted much I've learned TONS from everyone's posts and feedback by reading the various forums. Hats off to everyone who contributes to this site by leaving detailed pictures and walkthroughs, especially the experts - wow you guys know your ******!!! Viewing this site the over the years has definitely influenced my decesions in car purchases and have kept it in the Lexus family, and most definitely played a part on why I purchased a GS400 a few years back. I've followed many DIY posts and feedback and had some great times moding my GS that have kept the ladies' heads turning when I'm drivin by - actually one could probably make the arguement that this site has gotten me laid more than a few times - haha.

Anyways - thanks for all the fun - now to my question...

I'm looking to upgrade my suspension for my 98 GS400 - I already got H&R springs and KYB shocks (not yet installed) but I also wanted to install some sway bars and maybe a front strut bar as well (I would prefer that the FR strut bar clear the engine cover so I don't have to remove it). Any recommendations on where I can purchase these upgrades for decent prices? My budget is limited so I'm not looking for the super expensive top of the line products, my feeling on this is that these suspension pieces are just reinforced metal bars so brand name stuff I'm not sure I would really care for. Besides I really would like to purchase some Rims & Tires in the upcoming months and what I spend on suspension will certainly effect when I am able to get them.

Thanks.

Last edited by JoeyLex; 04-02-10 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-06-10, 03:14 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

sewell lexus for the TRD sways... I would buy the front first if you can't buy one right away and use clublexus as coupon. I can't find it cheaper. Replace the TRD bushing with polyurethane bushing (a few bucks) and you are good. Also, replace the rear bushing with polyuerthane (a must) until you can buy the rear sway. Another option is to buy used ... For the rear, you can get any brand sways and you will be good.

One major upgrade I recommend is an LSD, it definitely compliment the suspension.

This is what I would do if I can do it over. In order:

1)Upgrade the stock sway bushing with polyurethane.
2)Upgrade with LSD.
3)Get SS headers.
4)Upgrade suspension.
5)LS400 BBK
6)Go with Sways (I prefer TRD front) & upgrade bushing to polyurethane.
7)built motor or LSx or Go FI
Old 04-06-10, 07:23 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

KYB is kinda soft. Even though i got a conservative drop if the NF210s. I feel it is somewhat of a good combo. But if you are going to drop further more, I suggest you in getting the Bilstein. That's just my opinion. GL
Old 04-07-10, 09:10 AM
GS300-2002
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sam430
sewell lexus for the TRD sways... I would buy the front first if you can't buy one right away and use clublexus as coupon. I can't find it cheaper. Replace the TRD bushing with polyurethane bushing (a few bucks) and you are good. Also, replace the rear bushing with polyuerthane (a must) until you can buy the rear sway. Another option is to buy used ... For the rear, you can get any brand sways and you will be good.

One major upgrade I recommend is an LSD, it definitely compliment the suspension.

This is what I would do if I can do it over. In order:

1)Upgrade the stock sway bushing with polyurethane.
2)Upgrade with LSD.
3)Get SS headers.
4)Upgrade suspension.
5)LS400 BBK
6)Go with Sways (I prefer TRD front) & upgrade bushing to polyurethane.
7)built motor or LSx or Go FI
Why is it necissary to replace the TRD sway bushing? also do they sell polyurethane bushings at autozone or the internets? and are the bushings universal or specific to the TRD sways?

thanks
Old 04-07-10, 10:49 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300-2002
Why is it necissary to replace the TRD sway bushing? also do they sell polyurethane bushings at autozone or the internets? and are the bushings universal or specific to the TRD sways?

thanks
It's not necessary to replace the TRD sway bushing. You can get the bushing anywhere and it's generic.

Other thread recommend bushing upgrade to stock sways if they are not planning to upgrade the sways. My recommendation for stock bushing is to get the moog if you are concern with squeeking... poly red/black for performance.
Old 04-09-10, 10:35 PM
JoeyLex
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys - great stuff. Another quick question...my car is a 98. Since the car is coming up on 12 yrs how important is it to replace the front lower ball joints? When I put the car in park and turn the wheel all the way to the left and right it would seem that I get NO squeeking or noise so no alarm there. When I put in my new H&Rs with KYBs and the car slightly drops, is that going to put more tension on the older ball joints? Oh yea and I decided to go softer with the KYBs - the New England roads are awful - pot holes galore