Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY - Daizen Caster Arm Bushing Installation - lots of pics!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-12, 09:23 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

We are not reading the previous posts..lol information is all ready there my friends..
Old 03-19-12, 09:23 AM
SureShot
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if anyone needs a Daizen kit, i have one that i don't need. i ended up installing new arms, instead.
Old 03-25-12, 06:50 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonkster

BTW, on further reflection, if I did this again, I might try another approach for getting the arm back in place: first loosely install the bolts holding the caster arm to the control arm, and then use some kind of a pry bar inside the bushing sleeve to force it to rotate and line up with the stud. But I haven't tried this, so I don't know if that would work better or worse than the approach I showed here.
This won't work I tried it yesterday and there is no way to install the 2 caster arm bolts while leaving the bushing off of the stud. What worked for me was to jack the suspension up as high as it would go and after much muscling around I was able to get the bolts started. For me it wasn't a rotation issue like the OP it was more of an issue that the caster arm had to be 2-3 mm longer to get the threads to line up, I just wound up putting pressure and was finally able to get the threads started.

I ordered the bushings from Carson Toyota and yesterday I decided to begin the job, getting the arms off was cake, once off I brought them down to a local shop to see if they could R+R the bushings for me. The mechanic screwed up and started air chiseling the outer shell like in this tech article however you must reuse that outer shell with these Carson Problem Solver Bushings. At that point my only options were to find another caster arm at a junk yard or buy new arms at Lexus with the bushings installed. I decided to do a latter, $129 each, after returning these bushings it will only be an extra $160 or so to just buy the new arms with the bushings. I think this is a good price to pay as I don't want to end up like the OP and have to redo my bushings again in 1-2 years.

Also just for the hell of it we worked on the 2nd caster arm to see how we could remove the bushing without damaging the outer shell, the mechanic sat there for awhile with MAP gas trying to burn out those bushings but it wasn't melting much, I think we would have gone through 2 bottles of map gas just to melt off the one caster bushing. It seems like more of a PITA than it's worth for a fix that may fail down the road.
Old 03-25-12, 08:48 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by adamgamz
This won't work I tried it yesterday and there is no way to install the 2 caster arm bolts while leaving the bushing off of the stud.
That's not exactly what I meant . What I was suggesting would apply only to the Daizen bushings, because there is a separate inner sleeve that can be slipped onto the stud after the bushing is installed. So my thought was to place the arm and the bushing (without the inner sleeve) over the stud, then start the bolts, and then try to put in the inner sleeve. So this would not work with oem bushings - I tried that when I was reinstalling the OEM caster arms with the Roca bushings, and it was a no-go, as you found out too.

At that point my only options were to find another caster arm at a junk yard or buy new arms at Lexus with the bushings installed. I decided to do a latter, $129 each,
Yup, I would have done the same. I really like the quiet ride I got back with the OEM bushings. And if I wanted maximum performance and didn't care about NVH, I'd probably go with the Figs spherical bearings, instead of poly.
Old 04-14-12, 09:27 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So my mechanic nor I do not have a press to remove the old bushings from the caster arm. I went over to Toyota and the mechanic over there did not feel comfortable removing the old bushings. I may go somewhere else but now I'm just think about ordering new caster arms. There both $235 from Sewell and I can replace the arms myself. Does anyone know if the bushings that come with those arms are the PSB type? For my car it'll be the 537.

I've replaced my ball joints, inner/outer tie rods, steering rack bushings and finally got my FIGS toe links installed. So far the only difference I feel is with my steering. My caster arm bushings need replacing especially my right side.

Last edited by MrG4Life; 04-14-12 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-14-12, 09:39 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
I'm just think about ordering new caster arms. There both $235 from Sewell and I can replace the arms myself.
I'm a strong proponent of OEM bushings for the caster arms, so with the caster arms being as cheap as they are now, I think getting new caster arms (and avoiding the work of pressing bushings) makes sense.

But I don't know what you mean by "both $235", do you mean each or together? They seem to be $161 each at Sewell's website. Although you can get them from Parts.com for $111 each last time I looked.
Old 04-14-12, 09:51 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lyonkster
I'm a strong proponent of OEM bushings for the caster arms, so with the caster arms being as cheap as they are now, I think getting new caster arms (and avoiding the work of pressing bushings) makes sense.

But I don't know what you mean by "both $235", do you mean each or together? They seem to be $161 each at Sewell's website. Although you can get them from Parts.com for $111 each last time I looked.
After reading your experience with the Daizens, I'm in much agreement with you.

As for the arms itself, that $235 is the total for both (not each) which includes the CL discount. I just want to be very sure if they include the PSB's already pressed in them before ordering.

**EDIT: I found one or two threads in here that say the '03-'05 caster arms have TRD bushings in them. I'm also awaiting Sewell's response to my question. I was able to find a person who will press my PSB's in the existing arms so new arms won't be necessary.

Last edited by MrG4Life; 04-15-12 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-30-12, 08:21 AM
WolfgangVS
Driver School Candidate

does anyone know if bushes made in the USA for a UK 2004 RX300 will be compatible. it's difficult to get the bushes from Lexus without buying the whole hub and that is GBP450!! an American website suggested that even their bushel kit at $99 might not be compatible.

i need a rear left control arm bushing if possibe for a UK RX300 2004.
Old 05-01-12, 10:45 PM
WLGS01
Pole Position

I'm a little confused. Someone told me that the Sewell Caster Arm Bushings are the same as the Daizen Bushings. Is this true?

I just ordered some lower ball joints and looking to get my bushings replaced.

Edit: Nearly read the whole thread, guess I'm going with the Sewell/PSB bushings.

Last edited by WLGS01; 05-01-12 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-02-12, 06:07 AM
vultureskn
Driver School Candidate

I am currently installing new arms from Sewell. I was able to get the passenger side in but the driver side is giving me fits. I can't seem to get the holes to line up for the bolts to thread into. I have tried twisting the arm and raising the suspension. Just won't see to go. I might try it the opposite way, put the bolts on first an then the bushing side. To do this I think I will have to disconnect the upper control arm.

Anyone have any other idea?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Old 05-02-12, 03:42 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by WLGS01
I'm a little confused. Someone told me that the Sewell Caster Arm Bushings are the same as the Daizen Bushings. Is this true?

I just ordered some lower ball joints and looking to get my bushings replaced.

Edit: Nearly read the whole thread, guess I'm going with the Sewell/PSB bushings.
Are you going to buy mine?
Old 05-03-12, 10:08 PM
step2me
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default help chime in plese

has any one ordered the lower control arms from parts.com for a 2000 gs400? i have to replace mine asap need help any suggestions my mech. doesnt want to do the bushings and i rather change the whole arm anyway so help me decide on parts ........$111 sounds better than 161 any day but is the quality there?
Old 05-06-12, 12:23 PM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

its really a toss up. Ive had some stuff last really well no problem, and other parts die within a year. Then again, I killed my toyota front lower ball joints in about a year too...
Old 05-12-12, 02:05 AM
PinaQkoNga
Driver

Originally Posted by step2me
has any one ordered the lower control arms from parts.com for a 2000 gs400? i have to replace mine asap need help any suggestions my mech. doesnt want to do the bushings and i rather change the whole arm anyway so help me decide on parts ........$111 sounds better than 161 any day but is the quality there?
If you log in at Sewell, arms will run you $118 a piece!
Old 05-22-12, 06:34 PM
punch10
Driver

After reviewing this entire thread, I'm going to buy the front Roca setup and get it installed. I ordered the daizen bushings from Tmengineering last October and guess who still doesn't have their order yet? 7 months without even so much as a responsive email from tmengineering is absurd.

Quick Reply: DIY - Daizen Caster Arm Bushing Installation - lots of pics!