Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY - Daizen Caster Arm Bushing Installation - lots of pics!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12, 11:36 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by adamgamz
Thanks for the update Leon, TM Engineering sent me a tracking number 4 days after I asked them to cancel my order, the package arrived today and I refused it, I also sent TM Engineering a link to this thread. I wound up ordering my bushings from Carson Toyota, I asked Carson who makes them and they told me a company called Armstrong makes them. I'll be sure to put the calipers on them when they arrive. Anyone have any feedback on these?
Based on my measurements of the Daizens and eskaeone's measurements of the Sewell bushings, I'd say the Sewell ones are a better design. So I think you did the right thing .

So Leon, you said he swapped in a OEM Caster arm wheich I assume was new, and then you went ahead and replaced the new bushing with Roca brand?
Not quite... He swapped in the new OEM caster arms just to see if that made the clunk go away, and it did. He then put my old arm (with the Daizen) back in, because he was selling these arms for $500 each and we both knew that I was not going to buy them at that price. I then bought the Roca bushings and put them into my old arms in place of the Daizens.

The funny thing is that they did not charge anything for the labor, I think they were intrigued by the problem-solving aspect of it and they were not busy that day, so it was a challenge that they took on. I'll go there for an alignment today to throw some business their way .
Old 03-05-12, 12:39 PM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very cool, man I wish that guy was local to me.
Old 03-05-12, 03:35 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by adamgamz
very cool, man I wish that guy was local to me.
Yup, guys like this are hard to find these days. I should have emphasized that he suggested the plan to swap in the new caster arms just to see if that fixed the clunk and then put my old ones back in; it's not like I balked at the new arms after he put them in.
Old 03-05-12, 07:34 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonkster
Yup, that's how it should be! Not sure how Daizen missed the boat on that one....

Yea man, I was orginally going to go with the Daizen (before finding this thread) but they (TM) took so long to fullfill my order I changed my credit card number and ordered from Sewell which were much cheaper by the way..
and are better designed.. could use some instructions thou!..lol
Old 03-07-12, 08:38 PM
Tank
Racer

Default ....

Well, its official, for those of you whom were wondering or didn't know the PSB v2 busings work like a charm, I notce a MASSIVE difference in handling, my OEM bushings were so damaged that they started to sqeak something awful. Now I dont know how these will work for anyone else, but im on TEIN CS v2 and new ball joints, and the car no longer wanders on the road at highway speeds, steering and handling feel much tighter... now if I can only get the stupid FedEx guy to deliver my freakin' TRD sway bars so I can really se what this thing can do on the corners.
Old 03-07-12, 08:51 PM
Tank
Racer

Default ........

nice clean up for a perfect fit.
Attached Thumbnails DIY - Daizen Caster Arm Bushing Installation - lots of pics!-2012-03-06_02-23-59_244.jpg  
Old 03-07-12, 09:32 PM
webmouth24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you didnt have to keep the outer sleeve?
Old 03-07-12, 10:14 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default A revised Bushing?

Originally Posted by eskaeone
just got my bushings in from sewell, but I notice these are a little different...
There's no instruction to "keep the outer shell" or reuse the inner sleve,
and these looks like there's a sleeve all ready built in.. any ideas?
guess I'll just try the simplest solution first..

any ideas guys chime in.. thanks.
That must be a newer version of the bushing. I just returned and shipped my out couple days back, cause it cost too much to remove and install. My was number 537. It came with the just bushing. Are you sure that is for the caster/trailing arm bushing? I could be wrong about this, but I don't think the PSB# 537 have the inner sleeve molded in. Anyone have this luck lately? LOL, Now I wish I own a 2000 GS or older. Maybe they decided not to include the inner sleeve for PSB# 537, cost saving.

Last edited by GS714; 03-07-12 at 10:59 PM. Reason: added
Old 03-08-12, 09:23 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The PSB 537 is the "newer" version....
Old 03-09-12, 02:53 PM
Tank
Racer

Originally Posted by webmouth24
you didnt have to keep the outer sleeve?
Yes, thin metal sleeve with in the arm must be left in, if not, the bushing will have too much play.. look at the previous posts, there's a picture in there showing the xtra space..
Old 03-09-12, 03:03 PM
webmouth24
Driver School Candidate

Do you mind me asking what method u used to get the old bushing out? I have my parts coming from sewells tomorrow.
Old 03-09-12, 03:16 PM
Tank
Racer

Originally Posted by GS714
That must be a newer version of the bushing. I just returned and shipped my out couple days back, cause it cost too much to remove and install. My was number 537. It came with the just bushing. Are you sure that is for the caster/trailing arm bushing? I could be wrong about this, but I don't think the PSB# 537 have the inner sleeve molded in. Anyone have this luck lately? LOL, Now I wish I own a 2000 GS or older. Maybe they decided not to include the inner sleeve for PSB# 537, cost saving.
Yes, allthough it's a newer version of the bushing same installation proceedures apply they just dont tell you that in the new packaging like with the old version. ie "keep inner sleeve" written on the packaging.

#537 is the part number for the 2000 - 2005 GS and neither the 536 (97 - 99) or the 537 have the sleeves included. you have to find a way to remove the rubber from the inside he arm with out removing the sleeve it's self. read the previous posts, there's some good info on the subject
Old 03-09-12, 03:18 PM
Tank
Racer

Originally Posted by repugnante
incorrect.
Old 03-09-12, 03:22 PM
Tank
Racer

Originally Posted by webmouth24
Do you mind me asking what method u used to get the old bushing out? I have my parts coming from sewells tomorrow.
some people burned it out with a butane torch, I didn't have one at the time so I pressed out some of the rubber and cut out the rest. took forever..lol
Old 03-10-12, 12:22 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Default It came with just the Poly Bushing

Originally Posted by repugnante
Newer or Not, The 537 just came with the poly bushing and you need to burn the rubber which is molded to the inner sleave. Not included in the poly bushing. the outer sleeve can left and attached to the caster arm. I still say it is the cost saving method/practice of manufacturing from PSB.

Quick Reply: DIY - Daizen Caster Arm Bushing Installation - lots of pics!