Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY - Daizen Caster Arm Bushing Installation - lots of pics!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-11, 10:32 AM
texangator
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first took the car to firestone for the noise, they also noticed uneven tire wear on the inner side of tires. They said both of them are caused by the front struts. Also, the tie rods were bad. I replaced the struts and tie rods and also got new tires. Looking back I think my struts were good (though my car has 165K miles on it). I only got the front struts changed. The noise is still there and I personally think the the tire wear was caused by bad tie rods. This time, they said the noise is from strut mounts and even though my lower control arm bushing looks exactly like yours before replacement, they said its fine. What do you think is the main culprit for inner side tire wear - struts, strut mounts, caster bushings, or tie rods? In any case I will upload a vidoe later depicting exactly what the noise is at this thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...d-weather.html
I have shown it to multiple mechanics and Firestone is probably the least reliable in diagnosis and repairs - atleast the one that I had to deal with. Over the 6 years I had this car, I have spent 7K in repairs. SUCKS.
Old 12-07-11, 11:43 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by texangator
Over the 6 years I had this car, I have spent 7K in repairs. SUCKS.
really? if i had ONLY spent 7k in repairs in the last 6 years i would be super stoked.... thats only $1167 bucks a year on maintenance.
Old 12-07-11, 12:58 PM
texangator
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sakataj
really? if i had ONLY spent 7k in repairs in the last 6 years i would be super stoked.... thats only $1167 bucks a year on maintenance.
7K in repairs so far (tie rods, alternator, starter, ac compressor/drier, front struts). If you include maintenance i.e. brake jobs, tires, batteries, oil changes, fuel system flush etc., that would be another 4K. Not to mention that the control arm bushings (or arms) and perhaps strut mounts would be another 1-1.5K. So perhaps, all repairs + maintenance would be 12K or so in 6 years. You really think that is normal???
Old 12-08-11, 08:14 AM
850Lexus
Pole Position

I had uneven wear or cupping on the inside on my front tires. It was a combo of my castor bushings and my lower ball joints.

My noise was similar but not as loud. If there are any cracks in you Castor bushing replace it!!! Also check your ball joints for play, this is what stopped my tire from wearing and making the noise. I had over an inch of up and down play in my ball joints!!!

Last edited by 850Lexus; 12-08-11 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-08-11, 09:05 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by texangator
7K in repairs so far (tie rods, alternator, starter, ac compressor/drier, front struts). If you include maintenance i.e. brake jobs, tires, batteries, oil changes, fuel system flush etc., that would be another 4K. Not to mention that the control arm bushings (or arms) and perhaps strut mounts would be another 1-1.5K. So perhaps, all repairs + maintenance would be 12K or so in 6 years. You really think that is normal???
We are getting off topic here, but I agree with you, this is not at all normal, especially for a Lexus.

I probably spend about $300-500 a year on my other two cars ( a Subie and a Town & Country minivan), and that's mostly fluid changes, brakes, and tires. I have not replaced a single bushing, motor mount, shock, ac servo, or door actuator in these vehicles, and they each have 50,000 more miles than my Lexus and drive much more solidly than the Lexus.

I really do think that these GS's are some kind of a lemon for Lexus, it is just not normal to constantly be dealing with pops, clunks, creaks, and squeaks. I really love many aspects of my GS, but it is ALWAYS needing something, and it is quite disappointing.
Old 12-08-11, 09:19 AM
StarkoS14
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lyonkster
We are getting off topic here, but I agree with you, this is not at all normal, especially for a Lexus.

I really do think that these GS's are some kind of a lemon for Lexus, it is just not normal to constantly be dealing with pops, clunks, creaks, and squeaks. I really love many aspects of my GS, but it is ALWAYS needing something, and it is quite disappointing.
^Agreed... Also, I just replaced everything, some parts more than once this year! Anyway, its your caster bushings. I went everywhere and everyone said mine were fine. I ordered the TRD bushings and it fixed the issue. in the mean time, I think I ruined my new lower ball joints...
Old 12-21-11, 07:53 PM
titangts
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

great write up!!!!
Old 01-29-12, 01:54 PM
komar
Rookie

Just finished my install of lower control #2 Daizen bushing. Didn't do the wrest today but I plan on upper control arm with new wheels and suspension this summer
Old 01-31-12, 06:09 PM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would changing out just the LBJ and outer tie rods and just doing the caster poly bushing fix the stupid floor board loose "clunk" I already did the the LBJ and Tie rods I just need to install the bushings but I dont want to get them all done if not really needed.
Old 02-07-12, 09:53 AM
jeffjameso
Driver School Candidate

can anyone tell me how big of a press we will need in terms of tons to press these bad boys out? I'm tempted to purchase the 12 ton, however, whatever I buy will get left in my buddy's garage, and I don't think he wants a full 12 ton press sitting around in his garage, as much as he loves toys.

i hope to be able to use something much smaller, like a one ton, can anyone tell me what is necessary to take these out?

Thanks
Old 02-07-12, 10:17 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffjameso
i hope to be able to use something much smaller, like a one ton, can anyone tell me what is necessary to take these out?

Based on my experience, I doubt you would get them out with a 1 ton press... I'd aim for at least a 5 ton unit.
Old 02-09-12, 02:36 AM
amichie
Driver School Candidate

I did mine with a 6 T press.
Old 02-23-12, 12:38 PM
bluwagun
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up. Looks like a nice upgrade
Old 02-26-12, 05:19 PM
JAYRIPPSGS
Driver School Candidate

where can i order these poly bushings?? any good vendors here ? noob sorry
Old 02-29-12, 06:56 PM
GSENTHUSIS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tutorial gonna workout great now im doing this over the weekend im changing all the bushings along with the lower ball joints...

Quick Reply: DIY - Daizen Caster Arm Bushing Installation - lots of pics!