Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY - Daizen Caster Arm Bushing Installation - lots of pics!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-15, 11:54 AM
vin544
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphaman19
Installed my Figgs Castor Arm bushings yesterday.
Didn't want to invest in a press so I took the "jig saw" route.
It wasn't to difficult. Once you remove the rubber core of the old bushing out (Drill pilot entry hole with drill bit; then use a rough-cut jigsaw blade to cut the rubber out) just took a fine metal jig saw blade and cut two slits in the bushing outer metal ring. Then just push it out with a hammer and screw driver.

Rented a bushing press tool from Advanced Auto and pushed the new Figgs bushing in smooth as butt'a.

Time: about three hours mostly goofing around. Once you do one side, you'll complete the other in half the time 'cuz you won't have to think as much.
What kind of grease do they use to install the figgs bushings?
Old 08-16-15, 10:07 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by vin544
What kind of grease do they use to install the figgs bushings?
Its FIGS man, FIGS
The grease we use is a SuperPro developed grease. Its a thin film synthetic waterproof designed specifically for polyurethane. Did you not receive a packet if you purchased a bushing?
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 11-12-15, 03:22 PM
ferrett75
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lyonkster
A year and a half on Rocas, still like a new car
Recently picked up an 03 GS430, had to let go of my 00 GS300 after 11 years.

I hope you are still around Lyonkster. How are the Rocas? Gotta buy the #2 control bushings and wanted to find out if they were worth it.

Your blog started a great discussion and glad I found it. Was about to get Daizens as well.

Last edited by ferrett75; 11-12-15 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Add vehicle
Old 11-12-15, 03:27 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Still good! I am getting some clunks from the front end, but seems to be more like a caliper slapping around, not what I had before with the Daizens. So unless Figs sends me his bushings for evaluation , I'm sticking withe Rocas. Honestly, I am appalled at how many clunks I get in this Lexus, my 20 year old Chrysler minivan has more miles and has never clunked once.
Old 11-12-15, 03:36 PM
ferrett75
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lyonkster
Still good! I am getting some clunks from the front end, but seems to be more like a caliper slapping around, not what I had before with the Daizens. So unless Figs sends me his bushings for evaluation , I'm sticking withe Rocas. Honestly, I am appalled at how many clunks I get in this Lexus, my 20 year old Chrysler minivan has more miles and has never clunked once.

At this point I am sure the bushings were probably bad on my GS300 but as many times as me and the mechanics were under the car, there is no way of missing bad bushings. Considering the first time the 430 was raised yesterday the bushing were found quickly.

I could have sworn someone on here had said they installed the Figs. Wanted to get a long term review like with you.

03 GS430, Champagne, ML & Nav
Old 02-01-16, 09:46 PM
Brahms
Rookie

Just got Rocas put in. The mild clunk--I only hear it in parking lots going over speed bumps--is still there but this car (2001 GS430, 152k) definitely has a new feel to it. And it wasn't exactly feeling shabby before this...
Old 05-12-16, 08:33 AM
colinodon
Rookie

I just installed figs bushings. I want to thank mr Figs for being so nice and giving me two day shipping for free. There was a back order but he made things right !!

The box was small but it was very heavy like I had just been shipped a lead weight. Looking at the product it seems indestructible for what they are being used for. They are permanently bonded to their sleeves, there is no re using the old bushing sleeve.

The old bushing came out easily with a mini hack saw and a hammer and an old flathead bit. The bushing was so easy to press in I did it with a wood block and hammer . Lining up the caster arm bolts to where they attached to the control arm is tricky, but i loosely bolted everything together and progressively tightened all the bolts similar to tightening lug nuts . I had to jack the bushing/sheath onto the little stud poking out of the body for it to fit on since the new combo was so tight now.

Before my car would not go in a straight line in the highway, used to deflect the steering wheel driving over bumps in a straight line, there would be strongly felt toe changes mid corner, spooky/dangerous emergency/track braking performance, inconsistent steering geometry, front end noises despite the fact that the old caster bushings were intact, etc.

I highly recommend, they are some of the higher priced bushings, but they solved my problems 100% and they are noise free
Old 05-14-16, 09:54 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by colinodon
I just installed figs bushings. I want to thank mr Figs for being so nice and giving me two day shipping for free. There was a back order but he made things right !!

The box was small but it was very heavy like I had just been shipped a lead weight. Looking at the product it seems indestructible for what they are being used for. They are permanently bonded to their sleeves, there is no re using the old bushing sleeve.

The old bushing came out easily with a mini hack saw and a hammer and an old flathead bit. The bushing was so easy to press in I did it with a wood block and hammer . Lining up the caster arm bolts to where they attached to the control arm is tricky, but i loosely bolted everything together and progressively tightened all the bolts similar to tightening lug nuts . I had to jack the bushing/sheath onto the little stud poking out of the body for it to fit on since the new combo was so tight now.

Before my car would not go in a straight line in the highway, used to deflect the steering wheel driving over bumps in a straight line, there would be strongly felt toe changes mid corner, spooky/dangerous emergency/track braking performance, inconsistent steering geometry, front end noises despite the fact that the old caster bushings were intact, etc.

I highly recommend, they are some of the higher priced bushings, but they solved my problems 100% and they are noise free
all FIGS parts are but if you want the best ones IMHO go for the spherical bushings, never have to worry with them again (also not much more in price than the other FIGS ones)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-bushings.html
Old 07-21-16, 07:45 PM
S160dre
Driver School Candidate

Default Front Suspension Fixes

My castor arm bushings are way torn, cars braking is so horrible a friend of mine says when he watches the wheels as I brake, its as if the wheel seems to be moving closer to the fenders, I'm guessing retarded bushings cause braking power to be minimal, and not to mention everything wobbles.
Old 07-22-16, 12:01 AM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by S160dre
My castor arm bushings are way torn, cars braking is so horrible a friend of mine says when he watches the wheels as I brake, its as if the wheel seems to be moving closer to the fenders, I'm guessing retarded bushings cause braking power to be minimal, and not to mention everything wobbles.
Are you asking a question or making a statement?
Old 07-24-16, 08:21 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

You cant go wrong with FIGS. Stuff is awesome.
Old 05-06-17, 09:44 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Anyone in Houston, TX have a shop recommendation to get the Figs bushings installed? Took it to my usual mechanic, but he kept saying they didn't look like they fit. I got the ones for my 98 and Figs even asked me to confirm. When the shop put the car back up on the lift so I could point out where they go, I confirmed a second time that it was for the 98 arms. Shop still didn't think it would fit so I just gave up and figured I could find a different shop to do it.
Old 05-06-17, 10:23 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusK
Anyone in Houston, TX have a shop recommendation to get the Figs bushings installed? Took it to my usual mechanic, but he kept saying they didn't look like they fit. I got the ones for my 98 and Figs even asked me to confirm. When the shop put the car back up on the lift so I could point out where they go, I confirmed a second time that it was for the 98 arms. Shop still didn't think it would fit so I just gave up and figured I could find a different shop to do it.
I don't know what your situation is but, if you have a air compressor you can buy an air chisel for $30-$40 and a shop press for $80 and do it yourself. You can probably rent an air chisel as well. Good luck
Old 05-08-17, 06:43 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SpectraBlu
I don't know what your situation is but, if you have a air compressor you can buy an air chisel for $30-$40 and a shop press for $80 and do it yourself. You can probably rent an air chisel as well. Good luck
Yeah, I don't have any of that stuff lol. I'd rather leave that stuff to the professionals. By the way, I noticed that the holes in the bushings aren't symmetrical/even? I saw a picture on the Figs site for bushing adjustment. What is the "larger caster increase/decrease" and "medium caster increase/decrease?" I thought it was just a straightforward install, but it looks like I need to tell the shop to pay attention to how they install the bushings?
Old 05-21-17, 03:43 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I brought my arms to a machine shop and they couldn't straight press out the bushings, so they used the press to force the rubber middle out and then used a hacksaw to cut the metal and then used a punch to get it loose, then then press in the new bushings (factory).

I had the aftermarket bushings on my arms and they don't hold on the bushing and the arm moves on the bushing up near the body, causing creaks and knocks. I won't go aftermarket again. It just isn't designed to hold on tight enough like the factory one is.

Anyone have tips to make it easier to line the bolts up the arms better? Usually I fight with it to get it in, but coming out is a piece of cake.

And can anyone restore the photos in the first post?

Quick Reply: DIY - Daizen Caster Arm Bushing Installation - lots of pics!