Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

any reason not to go w/ stock shock set from Sewell for $256 shipped?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-10, 04:56 PM
turbotuner
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any reason not to go w/ stock shock set from Sewell for $256 shipped?

I've been looking around at suspensions since I'll soon have my car apart for ball joints and Daizen bushings and have looked at everything from H&R to KYB to stock, and the OEM stock shocks are by far the cheapest through Sewell at $256 shipped. I'll probably throw some L-tuned springs on at the same time, which the stock shocks are compatible with. Is there a reason these are so cheap? I'd always thought of KYB as cheaper than OEM, so this was surprising.
Old 03-16-10, 05:01 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The KYB will be slightly stiffer than the OEM. I'm riding on stock springs with KYB shocks right now and they've definitely firmer. I kind of want OEM shocks for my stock springs, but it's not worth changing them out right now.

For what it's worth, I just sold my L-tuned springs. They were paired up with the KYB shocks (bought them new) and they rode great. The KYBs seems to match up with the L-tuneds better than the OEM shocks.
Old 03-16-10, 06:00 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

KYB + L-Tuned might be the best riding lowering combo out there, IMHO. If you're going through the effort pair the combo correctly.
Old 03-16-10, 06:17 PM
turbotuner
Rookie

interesting... I'm pretty sure I put KYB on my dad's MDX and never thought they were were an 'upgrade' over factory parts.

If they are better quality and improve the car, that sounds like the way to go I guess.
Old 03-16-10, 10:28 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on your budget, you might want to look into Koni or Bilstein shocks. also.
Old 03-17-10, 06:11 AM
danw111
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by turbotuner
I've been looking around at suspensions since I'll soon have my car apart for ball joints and Daizen bushings and have looked at everything from H&R to KYB to stock, and the OEM stock shocks are by far the cheapest through Sewell at $256 shipped. I'll probably throw some L-tuned springs on at the same time, which the stock shocks are compatible with. Is there a reason these are so cheap? I'd always thought of KYB as cheaper than OEM, so this was surprising.
I replaced the lower ball joints, tie rod ends, and shocks last year with stock parts from Sewell. These OEM shocks were made by KYB (per marking), but I don't know if they're the same as the commercially-available KYBs.

After the replacements and alignment, the car (1999 GS300 with 130K) had a much improved ride and steering.
Old 03-17-10, 07:18 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
Depending on your budget, you might want to look into Koni or Bilstein shocks. also.
^what he said
Old 03-17-10, 07:58 AM
turbotuner
Rookie

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
^what he said
Yea... bilsteins are a bit out of my price range. I've loved them on my more performance oriented cars though. (meant bilstein vs. H&R in the original post, whoops)

I'm looking to do L-tuned or eibach pro-kit with either KYB or OEM... after seeing some posts that KYBs died after 15-20k miles though, I'm actually leaning towards OEM...
Old 03-17-10, 08:06 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Most of the KYBs that died prematurely were put on springs that lowered the car more than what the shocks could handle. When I took my l-tuned springs off, my KYBs had 30k miles on them. At that point, the damping was practically the same as the day I got them.

Not to mention, factory L-tuned shocks are relabeled KYB GR-2s.
Old 03-17-10, 08:15 AM
turbotuner
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSteg
Most of the KYBs that died prematurely were put on springs that lowered the car more than what the shocks could handle. When I took my l-tuned springs off, my KYBs had 30k miles on them. At that point, the damping was practically the same as the day I got them.

Not to mention, factory L-tuned shocks are relabeled KYB GR-2s.
cool, that's good to know... I can't remember if the people posting about their shorter shock life identified what springs they were on.
Old 03-17-10, 09:00 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

If you are going to go with bilstein, I think it's much ideal to get coilovers... 2 in 1.

I wonder which coilover out there is the softest...?

Last edited by GS4_Fiend; 03-17-10 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-17-10, 09:03 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Sewell is extremely reputable and stock is stock. I would be all over them.
Old 03-18-10, 10:40 AM
turbotuner
Rookie

I just pulled the trigger on the OEM shocks through Sewell... Just couldn't argue w/ factory parts at such a low price. I had to draw the line at a grand for how much I was going to drop into the front end/suspension... the following parts are now enroute:

Daizen sway bar bushing kit

Daizen steering rack bushing kit

Daizen control arm bushing kit

Moog inner/outer left and right tie rods

OEM lower ball joints

OEM front/rear shocks

L-Tuned springs
Old 03-18-10, 01:02 PM
danw111
Driver School Candidate

You might want to consider replacing the upper strut mounts (for the front). Rockauto sells the KYBs for $47/pair.

Originally Posted by turbotuner
I just pulled the trigger on the OEM shocks through Sewell... Just couldn't argue w/ factory parts at such a low price. I had to draw the line at a grand for how much I was going to drop into the front end/suspension... the following parts are now enroute:

Daizen sway bar bushing kit

Daizen steering rack bushing kit

Daizen control arm bushing kit

Moog inner/outer left and right tie rods

OEM lower ball joints

OEM front/rear shocks

L-Tuned springs
Old 03-18-10, 09:25 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Good move. Can't wait for the updates.

Quick Reply: any reason not to go w/ stock shock set from Sewell for $256 shipped?