Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

STBs vs. sways

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-02, 12:17 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default STBs vs. sways

Hi all,

I am trying to reduce body roll when cornering. I already have the L-Tuned suspension and wheel setup. I like the comfort level of the current setup and do not want to get too much harsher.

Can you give me pros and cons of getting front and rear sways (probably TRD if and when Steve gets them) vs. front and rear STBs (UGOs)? Which works better for what I need? I know these may work differently. If so, how?

Thanks for any info.
Old 05-24-02, 12:44 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swaybars essentially tie a wheel on one side of the car to the wheel on the other side. If one wheel wants to move up, relative to the body, the bar will try to force the wheel on the other side of the car up as well. STBs tie non-moving parts of the chassis together. The application for STBs is imprecise handling because the loads you are imposing are causing the chassis to lose rigidity and bend. Sway bars, or stabilizer bars or the far better descriptor anti-sway bars are what flatten out the car in turns. There is no appreciable affect on ride except that you are tying two sides of the car together so you are effectively slightly increasing shock and spring values. Keep in mind that you already have sway bars on the car. The replacement sways are just a bit stiffer so the connection is more positive. The sways will always flex a bit, you really wouldn't want an infinitely strong sway bar, but the replacement ones just are that much more stiff. I did not drop my car but left the stock springs and put on the, wait for it, bilsteins. I was very happy with just the bilsteins alone but wanted a little flatter cornering and put the TRD sways on. I can't say ride was affected at all with the TRD sways but the impact on cornering was very noticeable. These two changes put you in about ideal handling/ride territory as far as I am concerned. It's a shame one of the magazines hasn't gotten a slightly modded GS to review, bimmers wouldn't go to the back of the line but they wouldn't be in front either.
Old 05-24-02, 01:37 PM
Neo
The One

Thanks for the reply Ron430. When you say

These two changes put you in about ideal handling/ride territory as far as I am concerned.
Do you mean doing both sways and STBs?
Old 05-24-02, 02:52 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry, I was talking about the bilsteins and the sways. From what I know about the L tuned suspension, that included upgraded shocks and lowering springs so it should be pretty close.
Old 05-26-02, 04:38 PM
Neo
The One

Well, I think that is one vote for going with sways first. Any other suggestions? The only other issue with sways (especially the TRD ones) is availability.
Old 05-26-02, 07:51 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

I'd recommend going with sways first. I felt a much larger difference in handling with the TRD F/R sways than I did when I put in my STB.
Old 05-26-02, 07:54 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sways first...
Old 05-26-02, 10:55 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

Neo: TRD Sways will make the ride considerably harsher but you'll lose most of the body roll. The STB's make the steering more responsive and quicker, as will a low profile tire. Let's face it, the better the handling the stiffer the ride, it's your choice. If you want to keep the ride, don't get sways.
Old 05-27-02, 01:22 AM
Navaz
Pole Position

I agree with david gs400, That is why I have my sways for sale. Due to the really bad roads up here as soon as I put my TRD sways on my car it got very harsh. So far these are the mods on my car.
L-tuned shocks & springs
L-tuned ECU
Toms 6 piece links
TRD STB Front
TRD Sways F/R

For my taste I'll rather have little body roll rather than bite my tounge every time I got over a harsh section of the road!.
Old 05-27-02, 12:03 PM
Neo
The One

I am getting different opinions on the harshness. I realize this is due to personal tolerances. But what I am also getting is that the STBs do not help much against body roll. STBs do help with handling. So I am not really choosing one or the other but I'd probably want both (barring tolerances for ride stiffness).

Am I getting this right?

Last edited by Neo; 05-27-02 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-27-02, 02:01 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

Hey Neo:

If you want to feel the ride difference, you're welcome to drive my car. I live in Fresno and I see you're up in the City. You can e-mail me at diwanaga@pacbell.net if you want to test the car.

My first suspension mod were Eibachs: Made the ride firmer but not too stiff.

I then added Bilsteins which stiffened the ride a little more but the car felt more responsive, especially on S-curves.

Next I added the STB which made the steering quicker and more responsive. It doesn't make the ratios any diffent, but taking the flex out of the strut towers, you'll get more feedback at the wheel.

Next came the ECU; not much change at slow speeds, but at high speeds the power steering assist is less so the wheel feels tighter, more damping.

Next came the TRD Sways and LCB; this really tightened the suspension making the car corner flat and precise. Felt like I could corner on a dime! But the ride became much stiffer, which I don't mind.

Lastly I added 19 inch wheels and Nitto tires: Suprisingly the ride didn't change that much, it was still firm but not teeth chattering. I did feel the road much more thru the steering wheel than the stock 17's I had. But the grip off the line and thru the corners were greatly increased due to much more meat on the ground.

If you want to keep the Lexus cushy ride with a hint of firmness, go with the spring/shock combo and maybe add the STB. If you like precise handling and fun on twisty roads, add the Sways. Either way, definitely upgrade the wheels and tires. The stock RE030's that come on the car are crap.
Old 05-27-02, 03:33 PM
Neo
The One

Hey David,

Thanks for the offer. I am actually in the Tri-Valley area (in Dublin). I am not up in Fresno very often but if I am ever up in that neck of the woods, I may call you.

Anyway, I've already put on the L-Tuned suspension (shocks & springs) and the L-Tuned wheels. The Michelin/18 combo did tighten up the ride + a bit more noise. I also have the steering ECU in place.

When you added the STB, did you ride decrease any? I can't seem to get a hold of sways so I thought I'd just do STBs since the car already has (less stiff) sways. I was planning on getting only the front STB since install is easy but Steve suggested I get the rear one too. I will be printing out Manaray's post on the UGO rear install to study. I have the rear (uninstalled) but not the front yet. If it seems like having the STB is a good addition with minimal ride decrease, I may go ahead and install it while waiting for the front STB and maybe the sways. The only thing I dislike about rear STBs is the loss of trunk space. Our GSes have pretty small trunks as it is.

Freeway entrances/exits are the (majority of the) extent of my cornering. I thought I'd get a bit more control in these places but you are saying it adds a lot of stiffness to the car.

Last edited by Neo; 05-27-02 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-27-02, 03:39 PM
Neo
The One

Default Loss of Power?

Hi guys,

Do you think these suspension parts add noticeable weight to the car? After my 18s, I did notice the car being more sluggish. After I reset the ECU, it seems to be better but not as good as I remember.

My current additions are the L-Tuned suspension and wheels. My imminent additions (and hopefully this will be it for awhile) are the STBs, sways, TTE front lip, and L-Sportline sideskirts. Since most of you have GS4x0s, you probably do not notice the difference in power as much as my GS300.

Do you think these additions will cause a really noticeable power decrease or am I being overly paranoid?

Last edited by Neo; 05-27-02 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-27-02, 10:26 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

Since you're not hitting the corners hard, I'd just opt for the STB. I like the way it made my steering feel. I'd skip the rear as I need the trunk space for my golf clubs. Forget the sways; it sounds to me like you're too concerned about the ride versus the need for handling. The stock sways will probably suffice. Yes the TRD Sways are a little heavier than the stock, but the weight is minimal. You'll add some weight with the STB, but you won't notice a few pounds of added weight. Don't fill your tank up and you'll be driving a lighter car (just have to fill up more).

Bigger wheels and tires will slow you down some; generally the tires will be bigger in diameter than stock raising your effective gearing. You'll also be moving the weight of the wheel out changing your moment of inertia thus making it harder to launch.

Good Luck!
Old 05-28-02, 10:53 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Neo - Reading the posts about harsh ride with the TRD sways and experiencing what I have, I have to come to the conclusion that the sways in combination with something else can produce a harsh ride. I really can't say I noticed any increase in harshness on my GS. It would appear that the big fact is either I still have the stock springs or my 16s. If I had to guess, I would say the stock springs. The lowering springs may not have very different rates than stock but they accelerate to the stiffer rate faster. The TRD sways with the stock springs produce a very noticeable "planted" feel in turns and the straights without harshness, just about bimmer range if I remember correctly. I don't really want to get any stiffer, the stock springs and sways are about the right combo on our roads.

Quick Reply: STBs vs. sways