Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

UAS burned

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-10, 11:41 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UAS burned

today i was holding on to the inflate button for about 30 seconds to1 minute(iono why i did this) on my switches today. I was holding this even though my bags were full. Then out of nowhere my front backs just dumped and wouldnt pump back up.. i went to the trunk and it was all smoky and my wirings were melting and had caught fire. i grabbed the flames with my hands and put it out. now my wiring to one of my relays are all burnt. im going to replace it tomrrow and hopefully that would fix it. does anyone think something else is wrong with it after this incident like cuz of the wires burning my solenoids would be messed up too? or anything else? Thank you.

Last edited by dejavu157; 01-09-10 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-09-10, 02:00 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Ok, i replaced all the wiring and both rears and my front left is filling up and dumping normally. When i try to fill my front rights it wont fill and i hear a leak in my trunk. the other thing is when i dump all the air out from the tank the bags start to all dump too. does anyone know what whats wrong?
Old 01-09-10, 07:31 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

bags dump with tank, you've got check valves between tank and control valve?
Old 01-09-10, 07:36 PM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what kind of valves do you have? and what button were you pressing? pancake down? (all down). maybe youre using all your valves at the same time and it shorted them. call uas. talk to zack or raymond ask them questions they're real cool.
Old 01-10-10, 01:32 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

may have sent some of that 'burn' to one of the valves. Is the leak coming from a dump valve? that valve may have gotten stuck on half open (or any slightly open position) and when you try to lift, it just comes out of that valve. OR some of that fire may have gotten on that bags air hose and melted a hole... gotta track down where the leak is coming from before a diagnosis/solution can be made.
Old 01-10-10, 09:07 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dejavu157
today i was holding on to the inflate button for about 30 seconds to1 minute(iono why i did this) on my switches today. I was holding this even though my bags were full. Then out of nowhere my front backs just dumped and wouldnt pump back up.. i went to the trunk and it was all smoky and my wirings were melting and had caught fire. i grabbed the flames with my hands and put it out. now my wiring to one of my relays are all burnt. im going to replace it tomrrow and hopefully that would fix it. does anyone think something else is wrong with it after this incident like cuz of the wires burning my solenoids would be messed up too? or anything else? Thank you.
uh, why would you do sumthing like that and then make a post like you dont know what couldve happened....

Q: anyone know why my hand gets burned everytime I put it in a fire?

A: User Error x's 1,000,000,000,000,00000000000000000000000000000
Old 01-10-10, 09:50 AM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i didnt know; if you hold the valve open it can catch on FIRE. i think this post in helpful IMO. most air ride people probally didnt know either. what happends if your button gets stuck? you know not to leave it and fix it later.

its like "telling" someone before they touch the stove that the stove is hot, instead of watching yourself do it.
Old 01-10-10, 12:53 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

only thing i can think of is that holding the button kept a constant current to the valve/box that it couldnt handle for that long period of time causing the wire to heat up until the wires melted arched and found something to burn... and the other could be just a bad install or cheap parts I believe the problem was not holding the button down and that holding the button just pushed over something else that was bad.
Old 01-10-10, 05:06 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

LoL!! people learn about electricity in gradeschool...thats pretty simple 101 stuff.

Common sense tells u not to hold down a power button until it over-heats and causes a fire.

It doesnt matter if the parts were cheap or expensive...you will ruin them if u mistreat them or dont know what you're doing.

It's not fair to UAS or the valve company to have threads posted up like its the 'part' that failed....when in fact, "the user failed the part"

Most people (on Air) know the basics of their system. if not, they shouldnt be driving on the road. you're seriously givin tha game a black eye.

Makes as much sense has filling ur gass tank and letting it overflow all over the ground because u held the trigger after it filled the tank....then acting like it was the gas stations fault. LoL!!

Dont just throw stuff on your car without knowing how it works.
Old 01-10-10, 11:11 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Their are so many things wrong I don't know where to start.
First the person who sourced the parts is clueless, the person who is installed everything is even more clueless. Holding down the buttons for no reason should not have caused a problem but seriously if you don't know why your doing something then .......

Fire in electrical systems come from shorts or over amperage/voltage loads . So there was no thermal protection such as a fuse. The parts were not rated for the voltages being used , such as 120vac when it is supposed to be 14vdc .

If you hear a leak why are you posting about it instead of finding and fixing it? Is someone on here supposed to say yah look on the right side of the flap to find it?
Old 01-20-10, 01:13 AM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

thanks for the input guys. i think i held the button too long. my fuse blew back then so many times cuz i kept messing with it so i put a bigger fuse. then after holding it that day instead of blowing a fuse for overusing it it blew the relay then sparking my main power cable to the Air sus. as for my car gettind dumped eveyrtime, it was because the fire made tiny holes in my air lines in the trunk so it was leaking. its all fixed now thanks guys.
Old 01-20-10, 01:17 AM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DriftGirl
LoL!! people learn about electricity in gradeschool...thats pretty simple 101 stuff.

Common sense tells u not to hold down a power button until it over-heats and causes a fire.

It doesnt matter if the parts were cheap or expensive...you will ruin them if u mistreat them or dont know what you're doing.

It's not fair to UAS or the valve company to have threads posted up like its the 'part' that failed....when in fact, "the user failed the part"

Most people (on Air) know the basics of their system. if not, they shouldnt be driving on the road. you're seriously givin tha game a black eye.

Makes as much sense has filling ur gass tank and letting it overflow all over the ground because u held the trigger after it filled the tank....then acting like it was the gas stations fault. LoL!!

Dont just throw stuff on your car without knowing how it works.

i wasnt blaming UAS, i was just saying my UAS kit burned...
Old 01-20-10, 06:50 AM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dejavu157
thanks for the input guys. i think i held the button too long. my fuse blew back then so many times cuz i kept messing with it so i put a bigger fuse. then after holding it that day instead of blowing a fuse for overusing it it blew the relay then sparking my main power cable to the Air sus. as for my car gettind dumped eveyrtime, it was because the fire made tiny holes in my air lines in the trunk so it was leaking. its all fixed now thanks guys.
I was about to suggest checking the lines.. I had a short one time which made a teeny tiny hole, which wouldnt let bag fill. Good thing you had it figured out. Note to self: Dont hold switch more than needed.
Old 01-20-10, 06:55 AM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

lol, you put a bigger fuse in because you kept blowing your smaller one by messing with it?

maybe you shouldn't have been messing with it, and kept the right sized fuse in there.

wow
Old 01-21-10, 12:05 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NemeGuero
lol, you put a bigger fuse in because you kept blowing your smaller one by messing with it?

maybe you shouldn't have been messing with it, and kept the right sized fuse in there.

wow
Holy Junk! I missed that part! wow... thats genius...

Quick Reply: UAS burned