Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

So what DOES happen with air suspension failure on 22's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-10, 07:26 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Exclamation So what DOES happen with air suspension failure on 22's?

So I'm driving out of town doing the speed limit [80 ] then all of a sudden pfffffsss ccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk<---- thats like the sound like trying to hock a boogie couldnt think how to type it so naturally I'm like CRAP there goes a bag!!! I quickly grab the switch box and hold down the UP switch on that bag to keep the bag open as long as I can as to not have the car just STOP and make a MESS!!! (it worked I thought of that idea after our fellow member from SOCAL had that happen to him, I though of what I would do if in that situation) anyways.... I'm about 10-15 miles from town/home and I KNOW there aint no way a tow truck is gonna be able to lift and tow it, so now its time to contemplate how the hell I'm gonna do this Now remember this is on 22's so its not like I can drive home, that ccckkkkkk sound is of the 22 being grinded by the inner fender When I dump the car all the way down, my car sits on the tires :

So I have no spare bag :/ so all I think is how am I gonna get it home so I can park it and order a new bag... then I remembered, we can still drive fine with 20's on, so what do you do when you have no CL members near you? Well you call the next best thing mom and pops My pops stayed behind as my mom and I go to my place to get what I need...

so there was no way to get the jack under there, even tried the rear ( I swear thats all muscle under that shirt

Failed over and over trying to drive over some boards to lift it a couple inches (couldnt get the rim to turn all it did was drag):

tried different heights with the bags to get some kind of lift, but no luck... but finally got the wood under the rear tires to HOPEfully be able to lift both front and back from the rear..... (it worked :P)

(thats pops my twin )

Gotta use the oh so convenient knee pads

Old 01-08-10, 07:26 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Frowny face cause It's been a while since I've had to use hand tools since I got used to using air tools for everything

almost.... rims beginning to tilt (check out that bulging muscle above my belt )

Aaahhh.. there we go:

so now to find out what the hell really happened... I was thinking, its WAY too soon for my bag to go out what really is it.... then found this:

apparently the hose shifted at one point and well, that happened well not really sad, more of a cause its a cheap easy fix so got the 20" on:

now just wondering if I'm gonna be able to turn so for now I drive off to a clear area to see if I can. Well, I was able to do a complete U-turn with no rubbing and heres where I think my 22's payed off I did a bit of 3'wheel motion (full inflate front driver side, full inflate rear passenger, deflate rear driver) to see what it may do with the ride cause I was also fearing that I would have to drive 5 miles an hour in the 5 o'clock traffic going in to town on the freeway :/ I was able to drive 65 almost like I had no problem! so I was happy (having a great strut also helped too) so anyways, I give a call to my bud where I get all my hoses from, had him mock one up for me and presto all ready to go

I forgot to bring home and take pics of the hose cause it was a lot worse on the back side of the hose. Seems like ever time I parked the car, I was slowly cutting the hose on that tab above the wheel. so anyways, cant tell very much by the picture, but the tire was eaten up pretty bad:

the far right groove that is about 1/2" wide, well where you see the scraping to the left of it that about 1/8"-1/4" is close to even with the groove, but all in all, tire just may be fine once it wears a little.

so thats it, I always wondered what would happen if something happened to the air, not nearly as bad as I would have thought, good thing I was on 22's cause then my kit would have been TOAST!
Old 01-08-10, 07:46 PM
audax
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Things could have been a lot worse! Glad things worked out.
Old 01-08-10, 07:49 PM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well sucks to hear about your situation at that time but good that is was just a hose and nothing else got tore up.
Old 01-08-10, 07:51 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that would suck! I hate getting stuck on the side of the road, it could have been snowing.... Good to see it's a relatively cheap fix.
Old 01-08-10, 08:00 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That happened to me 3 times in a day once!! I took the mud flaps out because my rim would rub against it.. I had no idea the rim would rub against the exposed air line... At first I though it was the bag, but then realized it was the line.. Happened to me on the freeway.. Scary as hell, I heard ppphhhhfffffffffff... Luckily it was a cheap fix.. I was running my lines sames as you Mr. Jokster, but I decided to run them underneath the car, into the engine bay, and into the firewall. Never had a problem since Good thing you where able to figure it out. Mom and Dad FTW!

Edit: Wait, you rode it with a broken air line?? I would have not done that What I did was just cut the line and stretch it to fit the bags ptc. Luckily I had enough spare line Just for refernces, while driving, did you have to keep inflating the bags??? I think you loose pressure in all corners if you dont..

Last edited by EN_VY; 01-08-10 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-08-10, 08:31 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EN_VY
I was running my lines sames as you Mr. Jokster, but I decided to run them underneath the car, into the engine bay, and into the firewall.
actually what the problem was (didnt see it until I removed everything and went to replace it) I ran my line under the control arm instead of over, that extra inch of sag was enough to get the tire on it, now that I'm over the control arm, the arm stops it from going anywhere near the wheel

Originally Posted by EN_VY
Edit: Wait, you rode it with a broken air line?? I would have not done that What I did was just cut the line and stretch it to fit the bags ptc. Luckily I had enough spare line Just for refernces, while driving, did you have to keep inflating the bags??? I think you loose pressure in all corners if you dont..
Yup, with broken air line. I'd like to see you try to cut a 2 ply 1" hose its as tuff as the bead of a tire! and even then, they dont work like those plastic lines where you can cut and re place into the fitting, all my lines are custom made with fittings that screw in, so cutting would... well just cut them and left with open hose, no way to splice it. I didnt have to keep inflating cause I was in a semi 3wheel motion stance so it most of the cars weight was in the rear driver side. having the 20 up front and 22's in the rear allowed me to get just enough lift up there to keep the drive just fine kinda hard to explain, but just making it home was good enough for me
Old 01-08-10, 08:33 PM
vipjason
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dammm that sucks. nice retrofit headlights
Old 01-08-10, 08:38 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vipjason
dammm that sucks. nice retrofit headlights
thankya thankya...
Old 01-08-10, 08:40 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

sucks that had to happen but i like the commentary. mom and pops ftw
Old 01-08-10, 10:19 PM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great story with a happy ending.
Old 01-08-10, 10:31 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

great improvise! seems like all the UAS crew is having air problems recently =(
Old 01-08-10, 10:42 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well knock on wood when I had problems it was with Airride Technologies. Custom install..

Glad to hear you was saved and had time for photos.. last time this happened to me I was just pissed lol

and also it was an easy fix.... your a good guy and glad to see its taken care of
Old 01-09-10, 12:28 AM
REV-01
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ElitistK
great improvise! seems like all the UAS crew is having air problems recently =(
yeah i notice that alot...
Old 01-09-10, 01:05 AM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i always wonder what people do when their bag pops. My thoughts would be what you basically did. Seems like something should be created just for these cases like an emergency small bag attachment on the bottom of the actual bag with a Y air splitter to it(laying dormant till needed), just not connected.,,. we can all dream glad ur okay dood. life as a air-baller doesnt come easy.

Quick Reply: So what DOES happen with air suspension failure on 22's?