Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

installing springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-10, 07:13 AM
KangstaxD
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing springs

Hello guys
I've talked to some autoshops around my area and some mechanics told me its best to install springs when the cars warranty is up. Lexus is not reliable for coverage if their is some sort of damage to the car when installing aftermarket products at independant shops? Should I wait or...? Feedback please!
Old 01-07-10, 07:19 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KangstaxD
Hello guys
I've talked to some autoshops around my area and some mechanics told me its best to install springs when the cars warranty is up. Lexus is not reliable for coverage if their is some sort of damage to the car when installing aftermarket products at independant shops? Should I wait or...? Feedback please!
If a shop is worried about damaging your car when they are installing springs, I would take it somewhere else. Many people do this themselves with no prior experience.

As for waiting till after warranty to do it - that is ridiculous, and that is not a valid reason why you should.
Old 01-07-10, 08:18 AM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

+1

The only thing holding me back from lowering right now is the weather, I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit more...don't think cold weather is good for breaking in springs.
Old 01-07-10, 08:21 AM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

As others will say dont wait install them ASAP.
Old 01-07-10, 10:24 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Hello guys
see warranty information @ lexus.com:

This warranty covers repairs and adjustments needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship of any part supplied by Lexus, except in the following situations:
- Misuse—for example, racing or overloading.
- Improper repairs.
- Alteration or tampering.
and in the case of f-sport springs:

F-SPORT PERFORMANCE ACCESSORIES INSTALLED BY DEALER
F-Sport Accessories are warranted for 12 months from the date of installation or for the balance of the new car or Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) warranty in force at the date of installation, whichever is greater, when installed by an authorized Lexus Dealer. This warranty does not cover maintenance services such as replacement of brake pads/linings and clutch linings. This warranty does not cover noise, vibration, cosmetic conditions and other deterioration caused by normal wear and tear.

F-SPORT PERFORMANCE ACCESSORIES NOT INSTALLED BY A DEALER
F-Sport Accessories installed by anyone other than an authorized Lexus dealer are warranted for 12 months from the date of purchase only and the warranty coverage is limited to the replacement value of the F-Sport Accessory. This warranty does not cover maintenance services such as replacement of brake pads/linings and clutch linings. This warranty does not cover noise, vibration, cosmetic conditions and other deterioration caused by normal wear and tear. Part failure caused by improper installation by anyone other than an authorized Lexus dealer may void the F-Sport Accessory warranty, the new vehicle warranty or both.
i know that's a lot to digest, but here's the conclusion you should arrive at:

1. if you have your local authorized lexus dealer install your f-sport spring, your oem warranty stays intact. if in the event that your f-sport springs kick up an issue, you will still be covered under the factory warranty.

2. if you have your local aftermarket/independent shop install your f-sport springs, your oem warranty stays intact except for any suspension system-related coverage. so if in the event that your f-sport springs kick up an issue in this scenario, it's coming out of your pockets.

hope this helps.
Old 01-07-10, 10:26 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by heartmyis
+1

The only thing holding me back from lowering right now is the weather, I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit more...don't think cold weather is good for breaking in springs.
very interesting. i'd like to know how you came to this conclusion.

Last edited by projectdna; 01-07-10 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-07-10, 12:21 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i think what the shop was saying is that having aftermarket springs in can void your suspension warranty, so it would be better to just wait till your warranty runs out so that you would have full use of your warranty up to the time your warranty expires. i dont think the shop is saying they are incapable of installing springs without damaging your car
Old 01-07-10, 05:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The warranty is a non-issue really. It's more important to find an experienced and competent shop to do the installation correctly the first time. I had Eibach 350's installed on my 07 IS350 last summer at 27K miles and I'm not worried about the impact on my suspension-related warranty.
Old 01-07-10, 08:04 PM
KangstaxD
Lead Lap

Thanks everyone especially projectdna for helping me out everytime I have a problem haha. I called many shops and went to each individual shops to get an estimate and everyone is stating around 500-600 dollars for spring installation... Lexus dealer wants around $800-$900 bucks to install all four springs.. Has anyone used a compressor from autozone to install the springs by themselves. My friend who goes to penn tech states that he just needs a compressor to install the springs. Should I let him install my springs for free or install it through a professional mechanic? Also, does everyone experience clunking noise at the rear after installing the springs or does that only happen to just a majority of the people? This is my first time modifying my own car and when I took my car to a independent shop, the technicians states that "after installing the f-sport, since the camber of the car is tilted, you are expected to get worned tired unless you replace the camber. I will do the best alignment to minimize the damage." What does this mean and he tells me that this can be prevented if you purchase a aftermarket camber if there is one? Lol sorry for making the story complicated but please help =P!
Old 01-07-10, 08:12 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by projectdna
very interesting. i'd like to know how you came to this conclusion.
It only makes sense, warmer weather allows metal to settle in better.
Old 01-07-10, 08:16 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Its true Independent shops can install springs ofr 500-600 $. But honestly if the springs start clunking or your alignment gets messed up then what? Id rather pay the extra 3 -400$ to Lexus to have peace of mind and reassurance that if any clunking or anything goes wrong due to the springs, they will take care of it. Just my two pennies if you are thinking about going the f sport route.
Old 01-07-10, 09:56 PM
mild_se7en
Rookie

well can your friend wrench or is his ride always busted and falling apart. if you feel that he is competent, get him to teach you to work on your own car. then buy him a 12pack at least, nothing in life is free.

the install isn't that hard.

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/imp...-AI-0082-D.pdf

you can use an inexpensive spring compressor, just make sure it is impact gun friendly. compressing springs with hand tools is not even worth your time, so you will probably want to have access to an impact gun. you will also need a torque wrench.

the f-sport instructions are pretty straight forward. pay close attention to step 3-e-1 (Confirm height control sensor link is positioned correctly (not folded inward)), very important for the auto level headlights. also step 6-e, those two bolts fasten to the front aluminum hub. YOU DO NOT WANT TO CROSS THREAD THESE BOLTS. just make sure the treads are clean of dirt/debris before you tighten them BY HAND as far as they will go on. if it seems that it is taking too much effort to tighten these bolts, STOP and revaluate your situation. when satisfied that they aren't going to strip, tighten them to spec. again, don't cross thread these bolts.

in reality the hardest part is removing and reinstalling the trunk liners. any shop you could take your car to will probably just leave your liners all over their garage floor while they work. tear or get dirt/grease on these liners, you will have to look at it every time you open your trunk. take your time with this step. you might just want to remove the liners and put them someplace safe the night before you do your drop.

finally, get an alignment after the install. the negative camber can't be adjusted with stock parts, this is a minor issue. your real concern will be with the toe, this tend to be the culprit of inner edge tire wear for our cars.

hope this helps,
Old 01-07-10, 10:58 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks everyone especially projectdna for helping me out everytime I have a problem haha. I called many shops and went to each individual shops to get an estimate and everyone is stating around 500-600 dollars for spring installation... Lexus dealer wants around $800-$900 bucks to install all four springs.. Has anyone used a compressor from autozone to install the springs by themselves. My friend who goes to penn tech states that he just needs a compressor to install the springs. Should I let him install my springs for free or install it through a professional mechanic? Also, does everyone experience clunking noise at the rear after installing the springs or does that only happen to just a majority of the people? This is my first time modifying my own car and when I took my car to a independent shop, the technicians states that "after installing the f-sport, since the camber of the car is tilted, you are expected to get worned tired unless you replace the camber. I will do the best alignment to minimize the damage." What does this mean and he tells me that this can be prevented if you purchase a aftermarket camber if there is one? Lol sorry for making the story complicated but please help =P!
1. i recommend paying the professional handle the install duties, or the authorized dealer if you are concerned with retaining all aspects of the factory warranty. this is only if you and/or your friend do not feel confident/competent enough to handle the DIY. if you are, i think mild_se7en made some very good suggestions to help you a far as a DIY is concerned.

2. any time you unbolt something from the suspension, your alignment values will change. it is highly recommended that after the f-sport springs are installed that you take your 2is in for an alignment - if it is not already included as part of labor (i.e. authorized dealer).

the good thing w/ f-sport springs is that it only slightly changes the suspension geometry and alignment values such that after a proper alignment job it shouldn't affect premature tire wear (i stress "proper alignment job"). my alignment values were oem-like even w/ s-techs, so you should not have any issues w/ premature tire wear.

Originally Posted by heartmyis
It only makes sense, warmer weather allows metal to settle in better.
point taken, but the springs are already tempered:

during tempering, the springs are heated up to 400 degrees celsius in chambers or continuous furnaces, so that the material takes on the new shape and structure, and like a perm in hair styling, keeps it permanently.
see 4:08 of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZMuMvpgKFs

reason why i use the eibach video is because of the well-known fact that f-sport springs are rebadged eibach springs (read: made by eibach).

but again, point taken.
Old 01-07-10, 11:11 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by projectdna
point taken, but the springs are already tempered:

see 4:08 of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZMuMvpgKFs

reason why i use the eibach video is because of the well-known fact that f-sport springs are rebadged eibach springs (read: made by eibach).

but again, point taken.
I see what you are saying. But usually when you install springs, you don't see the immediate desire drop....it takes anywhere from 300-500miles for them to break in/settle. So thinking, warmer weather will help the springs settle better than cold weather =)
Old 01-08-10, 12:00 AM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

^

If you install springs correctly, they don't settle.

Quick Reply: installing springs