Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Any SC owners on Air Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09, 05:45 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any SC owners on Air Suspension?

If someone could point me towards the SC's that have air that would be great...Igot tons of quesitons haha.

Main one: Where do you guys put your air tanks? The trunk is so small, if you have a system then you cant put your tank/compressors/valves anywhere!
Old 12-14-09, 05:51 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would like to know as well... Please post pictures of your trunk setup if you don't mind. I helped my brother install one on his 93 LS400 and its great. The difference is, he has a lot of trunk space which was no problem. That is also my main concern. I'd like my spare to still be accessible....

Thanks!!! Good thread.
Old 12-14-09, 06:22 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my tank is in the trunk, along with a whole mess of things. i think there are over a dozen sc's here with air. what do you need to know?
Old 12-14-09, 06:36 PM
fliptrix
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

if you check here, the sc3/400 gallery on the UAS site.. you'll find a pic of mrhappi's trunk setup.
http://universalairsuspension.com/on...?sid=63&cid=13
Old 12-14-09, 06:38 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Cool thanks for the pic refernce fliptrix.

Well some other things I wanted to know are what are the spring rates on the bags. Im deciding if i were to air, go on coils and and air, or just basic struts.

back to the spring rates, im wonder what they are at what psi, and at what psi is what height of the bag. does that make sense lol?
Old 12-14-09, 07:22 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Also would like to know if you had room under the car to route the air hoses, and where!
Old 12-14-09, 07:32 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

bags on coilovers are great, especially if you want a specific type of ride at a certain height. with regular struts you cannot control the height of the car at x psi. the higher the psi, the stiffer the ride. i usually ride at 80-90psi up front and 50-60 in the rear.

there isnt any room underneath the car to run wires, or none that i have found anyway. i have rca's, 4awg power wire, and 2 3/8" lines running down the drivers side panel. anything you need will fit in the side tucked behind the carpet.

do it and dont look back IMO. though, prepare yourself for leaks and little issues.
Old 12-14-09, 07:40 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

What i dont understand is this: If you max out the collars on the coilover, how will the bag compensate the difference? In the above picture it looks like the bag is already fully inflated.
Old 12-14-09, 07:51 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TomLee
What i dont understand is this: If you max out the collars on the coilover, how will the bag compensate the difference? In the above picture it looks like the bag is already fully inflated.
it flattens from the weight of the car. they look like that naturally. it will flatten to 2-3" and extends to 9" IIRC, though youll want to double check with UAS. there is a lot of travel from 0 to 130psi. you cant lower the perches all the way down, if you do you would have to fill up the bag all the way and youd still be slammed, and it would ride like ***. i have mine set just above the quarter mark (this will vary for diff coilovers) and it rides great with a 1 finger gap @ 90psi up front. you have to find a balance with coilovers.

edit: sorry, here are the specs for 'aero sport' bags from uas
4.0" Compressed
9.25" Extended
5.875" Diameter

5.25" is a helluva lot of travel

Last edited by Kohinoor; 12-14-09 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-14-09, 08:45 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

I understand that you can't max out the collars, i was just wondering what would happened if you lowered it all the way and the bag was only say 6 inches maaxed out...but THANK YOU SO MUCH! ahhh thats exactly what i was looking for I havent been able to find this info for some reason.

Maybe you can tackle this last one too, does the spring rate increase as psi goes up? And at 80-90 is your right pretty comfortable?
Old 12-14-09, 10:05 PM
DriftPaRX7
Pole Position

my air ride setup..

I also use a Bag Over setup. The lines are ran along a rail under the car, Not the body pinch point, utilizing these plastic loops to secure it there. 3/8th's line with push loc connectors. The wiring, I keep inside the car, I have it running through the side carpet. I hate leaving wiring outside of the car. I have one 4 gauge and one 8 gauge wire with like 10 16 gauge wires down one side and three sets of rca's running down the other side.

I recommend coilovers instead of just regular struts, the bag effect on the strut, the dampening rate on a normal strut stinks due to the air bag's springiness.

I am going to switch out all these to coilover with airride cups, or new struts with adjustable dampening.

I am extremely comfortable, I feel like I'm riding in a caddy, however I'm almost done turboing my car, and too soft suspension is not what I'm really looking for.

Last edited by DriftPaRX7; 12-14-09 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-14-09, 10:20 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TomLee
I understand that you can't max out the collars, i was just wondering what would happened if you lowered it all the way and the bag was only say 6 inches maaxed out...but THANK YOU SO MUCH! ahhh thats exactly what i was looking for I havent been able to find this info for some reason.

Maybe you can tackle this last one too, does the spring rate increase as psi goes up? And at 80-90 is your right pretty comfortable?
yes, bags have a progressive spring rate

yea its pretty comfortable. but the great part about using coils is that you can change it to however you like to drive. you could go insane changing the perch heights, adjusting the shock, and playing with psi levels.
Old 12-15-09, 02:15 AM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all the info guys!

DriftPaRX7 - Is that a "Pancake" air tank or whatever?
Old 12-15-09, 10:16 AM
DriftPaRX7
Pole Position

yeah.... pancake tank.. 5 gallon

So everything is hidden except the compressor which is mounted at the CD changer area.
Old 12-15-09, 10:20 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Im going for air cups on my coilovers. bags are very high maintenance for me =(

Quick Reply: Any SC owners on Air Suspension?