Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Any SC owners on Air Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-09, 03:53 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An air setup now seems very simple to me, I dont see how a cup system is less maintenance. You still have compressors, you still have air lines, and you still use valves and switches...? The only difference is reliability of the airbag vs cup where you dont need air to ride.
Old 12-16-09, 01:05 AM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TomLee
An air setup now seems very simple to me, I dont see how a cup system is less maintenance. You still have compressors, you still have air lines, and you still use valves and switches...? The only difference is reliability of the airbag vs cup where you dont need air to ride.
some people just don't want to deal with bags possibly tearing and being stuck on the side of the freeway. If a cup kit were to fail you are still at a drivable height to make it home. It's all personal preference.
Old 12-16-09, 01:09 AM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

lol@chris

Sell me your cousins wheels!
Old 12-16-09, 01:22 AM
vinh
Lexus Champion

lol@chris

Sell me your cousins wheels!
that could be you man! especially since you drive back and forth from SB all the time. Better make sure you still have some tows left on AAA just in case you pop a bag.

Oh and my cousins wheels are lost somewhere. No idea what happened to them.
Old 12-16-09, 01:25 AM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Booooo.

Well chris's bag propped due to excesive rubbing...and hitting a weak point. I mean i know its all possible to break down still....but Vinh, if im gonna break down in the middle of a road, im gonna break down in mother ****en style!
Old 12-16-09, 01:43 AM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Booooo.

Well chris's bag propped due to excesive rubbing...and hitting a weak point. I mean i know its all possible to break down still....but Vinh, if im gonna break down in the middle of a road, im gonna break down in mother ****en style!
Aint that the truth. If you break down, call me at least so i can come over and take photos.
Old 12-16-09, 07:20 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vinh
some people just don't want to deal with bags possibly tearing and being stuck on the side of the freeway. If a cup kit were to fail you are still at a drivable height to make it home. It's all personal preference.
Vinh hit it right on. I dont want to worry about bags tearing, and checking my bags every so often for weak spots/tears. I just want to jump in and drive. If a cup blew out I would still be at a drivable height, and wont have to call Vinh to come save me like chris did lol
Old 12-16-09, 09:45 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vinh

lol, UAS bags will NOT tear unless you have extreme rubbing/clearance issues, which dont exist with the SC (they do for the GS)

the only thing you really need to worry about is a line leaking or fitting going out. and they are extremely easy to change out. a wrench and some extra fittings/airline in the trunk are good things to have. get quality fittings (nickel, stainless steel) and the chance of that happening is very slim. plastic fittings are prone to leaking (in my experience).

btw, any type of 'kit' sucks IMO. buy everything separate, get better parts, and save money. i can get you on a fully digital plug & play air setup for 2k - digital management with controller, bags/brackets, air line, fittings, tank, 2 480c compressors, etc for ~ 2k. add coilovers and youre good to go!

Last edited by Kohinoor; 12-16-09 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-16-09, 11:56 AM
DriftPaRX7
Pole Position

I haven't had any problems with my bags.. knock on wood

Like people said.. fittings.. always a problem. I might switch out all to stainless steel line.

I also pieced my kit together
My grand total for everything ended up being $1300.00
I got my compressor used, and I'm not using a fancy digital air system.
I got my manifold valves used.

But I'm using
Air Zenith OBD1 compressor
Air Ride Technologies Big Red manifold Valves
UAS Air bags
Air Zenith Digital Gauges
and everything else is generic
Old 12-16-09, 12:10 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftPaRX7
I might switch out all to stainless steel line.

eh, its just stainless braiding wrapped around dot plastic airline. unless youre running your lines where a lot of debris can get to it, i wouldnt bother.
Old 12-16-09, 02:06 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kohinoor
lol, UAS bags will NOT tear unless you have extreme rubbing/clearance issues, which dont exist with the SC (they do for the GS)

the only thing you really need to worry about is a line leaking or fitting going out. and they are extremely easy to change out. a wrench and some extra fittings/airline in the trunk are good things to have. get quality fittings (nickel, stainless steel) and the chance of that happening is very slim. plastic fittings are prone to leaking (in my experience).

btw, any type of 'kit' sucks IMO. buy everything separate, get better parts, and save money. i can get you on a fully digital plug & play air setup for 2k - digital management with controller, bags/brackets, air line, fittings, tank, 2 480c compressors, etc for ~ 2k. add coilovers and youre good to go!
Wow that pricing seems really good. You should definitely consider this option Tom. Also from your sig it looks like you have a jp type II exhaust. Do you have any good pictures of this exhaust on your car? I've been on the look out for one for a while now. I've always wanted to see how it looks on an SC.
Old 12-16-09, 10:08 PM
DriftPaRX7
Pole Position

no the stainless steel line allows me to switch from push loc fittings on the bags to JIC fittings/AN fittings. This would make it not leak there.
Old 12-17-09, 03:52 PM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Hey guys, for the rear coils, where did you route the air hose form outside to the trunk? Did you have to dirll holes? Same goes for the front I guess
Old 12-20-09, 12:57 AM
TomLee
Lexus Champion

Any input on the last Q?
Old 12-20-09, 11:47 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think most drill holes where the spare tire is and route it there.

Quick Reply: Any SC owners on Air Suspension?