Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Megan Coilover owners and Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 06:52 PM
lextechGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any time. I have his name written down at work...will PM tomorrow
Old 12-09-09, 06:57 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

let us know what ya find out, I hope its only that nut (lol)
like I said earlier, on another forum I'm on a cheaper brand of coilovers did the same exact thing and it was that top nut, so I hope its as easy as that for you guys.
I'm trying to find a cheap used set of megans
Old 12-09-09, 07:09 PM
lextechGS
Driver

sounds like gman44116 is about ready to sell his! If nothing else comes out of this post maybe you all could work out a deal haha
Old 12-09-09, 07:20 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

honestly, id buy his set if he wants to sell them. South Florida never gets cold...
Old 12-10-09, 08:12 AM
lextechGS
Driver

Well bad news this morning.....still lots of noise coming from the front struts. Looks like saturday I will be disassembling the struts to lubricate.....
Old 12-10-09, 07:58 PM
lextechGS
Driver

So a lightbulb just went off over my head. I was instructed by Megan Racing to disassemble my coilovers and lube different parts to prevent noise. Eventho I did this with no improvement, I just realized while doing this that my preload on my springs was pretty tight. It was about 5 turns past when the lower perch snugs up to the spring. I didn't think much of it at the time, but am thinking now this is most likely the root of the problem. I never checked the preload during install because I read that they come set up for the car, and that you should not adjust it. Will give updates tomorrow after I re-adjust the preload.
Old 12-10-09, 09:01 PM
gman44116
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lextechGS
So a lightbulb just went off over my head. I was instructed by Megan Racing to disassemble my coilovers and lube different parts to prevent noise. Eventho I did this with no improvement, I just realized while doing this that my preload on my springs was pretty tight. It was about 5 turns past when the lower perch snugs up to the spring. I didn't think much of it at the time, but am thinking now this is most likely the root of the problem. I never checked the preload during install because I read that they come set up for the car, and that you should not adjust it. Will give updates tomorrow after I re-adjust the preload.
I tried that. I adjusted my springs to what Megan said to do: I loosened the spring tension all the way from the way they came from factory and tightened until the springs were tight but just enough play that I could move them, as Megan suggested..

Here is a bunch of photos and a video of the sound.

I also spoke with Megan today and they asked for these photos and video(s). I was about 25 when I shot the video. I was out tonight in 16 degree weather and they squeaked all the way home, much louder than in the video...

first five are photos of the front left coilover.

this is the video of the sound. They get much louder as the weather gets colder...

I spoke with Megan's rep today and they are going to dig in and find out what the issue is. Right now, it sounds like a material issue not a problem with the strut itself...

When I get more info, I will update here...

Last edited by gman44116; 08-01-10 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-11-09, 12:09 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn that is loud and annoying.
Old 12-11-09, 04:15 AM
lextechGS
Driver

Well done on the video. That is the same noise I am experiencing. Unfortunately I am not too computer savvy, and will probably have a hard time loading up a video....but will still try. I am disappointed to hear that you already tried to lower the spring preload with no improvement. I am still going to do this tonight just to rule out all the easy fixes. Hopefully our 2 contacts at Megan will get together and come up with a solution.
Old 12-11-09, 04:50 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

that sound horrible, i have BC racing on my IS and it like low 20's out rite now as i just got home from nite shift and mine dont make any noise close to that
Old 12-14-09, 11:03 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cannot see your video here at work, but I can see your pictures. Just for comparison, my springs are not nearly that compressed. I have zero noises with mine and have had them for a year and half. It has been down in the 20's here in TN so they are definitely experiencing cold weather. Not sure if that will help, but just a thought.
Old 01-03-10, 03:16 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Any updates on these fixes guys?

Last edited by 99 GS3; 10-29-11 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-03-10, 03:26 PM
lextechGS
Driver

Sorry I am a little late with an update....But after talking to the reps over at Megan racing...they have determined that the lower bracket with the bushing attached is causing this noise. They are shipping me new lower brackets for all 4 corners as well as another member on here too. I should be recieving them this week and will install them as soon as they arrive. I am tired of turning heads because of an obnoxious squeak. I will post again with more info once the install is complete.
Old 01-03-10, 03:41 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the update!!

So your saying they are replacing the parts that hold the lower mounting bushings.. Right?

I would assume they changed brand/type of bushing pressed in to fix the issue. Did they mention if that is the case?

Keep us updated when you get them, I will pursue getting replacements if they have changed to a better bushing.

Last edited by 99 GS3; 10-29-11 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-03-10, 05:55 PM
lextechGS
Driver

I think it is the same part you greased up. It's the whole lower half of the strut basically, with the "Megan" sticker on it...and the bushing is at the bery bottom where it bolts to the lower control arm. What's funny is after all this talk to megan racing and them telling me they are going to send replacement lower brackets, I forgot to ask them if it will be an updated part, or just a new version of what we already have. I realized this earlier tonight and already send out an e-mail to ask. I am assuming it is a new part so this problem will not happen again.
Also, if you have purchased these coilovers within a year or so...I would contact them now so they are aware of the problem. If you wait too long, they might tell you its out of warranty or something. They are well aware of the issue by now, as I have been talking to them for a few months now about the problem. Talk to Nelson...he has been very understanding and very helpful.

Quick Reply: Megan Coilover owners and Cold Weather