Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Can't adjust my ride height with my coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-09, 12:50 PM
gman44116
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't adjust my ride height with my coilovers

I tried to adjust one of my new coilovers (megan) today and could not move the post. I loosened the bottom nut and grabbed hold of the thread bar (whatever its called) and it won't budge!

The only way it would move is if I adjusted the nut that tightens/loosens the spring...So I ended up tightening the spring nut to get the bar to rise up...

I was under the impression this thread bar should move freely, at least with a good grasp with gloves on!!!
Old 12-03-09, 12:53 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you talking about the perch rings?
Old 12-03-09, 12:53 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

coilover sleeve does not move, the perch does which is what makes it adjustable. there should be 2 perchs. one turns one way and the other turns the opposite. you need to loose the bottom one and spin it down towards the bottom. then you can adjust the top perch to where ever you want. once you have it where you want it, you spin the bottom perch back up to meet the top perch and tighten them both.
Old 12-03-09, 01:27 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

That's crazy talk.

Adjusting the spring perch collars changes your spring Pre load and should NOT be used to adjust ride height.

the double "collars" that are holding the spring in place should not be adjusted once you lock them together. (double lock nut kinda deal)

To adjust your ride height, you loosen the collar near the bottom of the coilover. Spin it up and out of the way.

Then, with your spanner wrenches.. grab one of the collars that sit underneath the springs and use that to thread IN (lower) or OUT (raise) the coilover body. These should turn WITH the coilover body.. if they spin by themselves they aren't locked together tight enough. (or you grabbed the wrong collar to spin)

EDIT: to lower the car, put the wrench on the top collar and spin it clockwise
to raise the car, grab the bottom collar and spin it counterclockwise

If you still can't get it to turn, get some PB blaster and go to the gym.

I recommend putting some kind of antiseize on them too.

Spring preload should be zero. To acheive zero preload, the spring perch collars should just come up to the spring. Do not compress the spring with the collars. You should *almost* be able to spin the spring with the spring perch collars tightened together.

Last edited by NemeGuero; 12-03-09 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-03-09, 01:40 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeGuero
That's crazy talk.

Adjusting the spring perch collars changes your spring Pre load and should NOT be used to adjust ride height.

the double "collars" that are holding the spring in place should not be adjusted once you lock them together. (double lock nut kinda deal)

To adjust your ride height, you loosen the collar near the bottom of the coilover. Spin it up and out of the way.

Then, with your spanner wrenches.. grab one of the collars that sit underneath the springs and use that to thread IN (lower) or OUT (raise) the coilover body. These should turn WITH the coilover body.. if they spin by themselves they aren't locked together tight enough. (or you grabbed the wrong collar to spin)

Spring preload should be zero. To acheive zero preload, the spring perch collars should just come up to the spring. Do not compress the spring with the collars. You should *almost* be able to spin the spring with the spring perch collars tightened together.
this dude is so smart
Old 12-03-09, 01:56 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

lol shyuddup. haha
Old 12-03-09, 06:22 PM
gman44116
Lead Lap

That's crazy talk.

Confused here. If you adjust the top spring collar to raise the height, considering that the coilover body moves when you adjust the top spring collar that tightens spring preload right? in essence you are raising the top collar which tightens the spring preload
Old 12-03-09, 06:27 PM
gman44116
Lead Lap

Maybe the bottom line here is that if the coilover body moves when you adjust the upper collar then you are not adjusting the spring tension correct?
Old 12-03-09, 06:39 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gman44116
Confused here. If you adjust the top spring collar to raise the height, considering that the coilover body moves when you adjust the top spring collar that tightens spring preload right? in essence you are raising the top collar which tightens the spring preload
Yes, that is correct and the correct way to raise the car using the coilover sysyem. If the coilover is installed corrctly, there is the possibility that the spring actually may move, especially if the sprung weight has been lessoned (car on jacks).

My suggestion to you if you having problems with this is to immediately seek a professional to give you direction, face to face.

Righty tighty (car higher)/lefty loosey (car lower)
Old 12-03-09, 08:45 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

loosen the lower perch. twist the WHOLE shock into the body of the bracket. dont touch the spring perches unless spring preload was messed with previously ( and u wanna fix it)
Old 12-03-09, 09:19 PM
gman44116
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5t341th
loosen the lower perch. twist the WHOLE shock into the body of the bracket. dont touch the spring perches unless spring preload was messed with previously ( and u wanna fix it)

That was my problem. The WHOLE shock would not budge into the body, either way.
Old 12-03-09, 10:33 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Soak it in PB blaster. and then after you get it loose, put some antisieze on the threads.

dirt can get inbetween the threads and make it really tight. Get a rubber mallet and tap the end of the spanner wrenches to help loosen it up.

It may be all the way lowered already?

Last edited by NemeGuero; 12-03-09 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-03-09, 10:57 PM
gman44116
Lead Lap

Soak it in PB blaster. and then after you get it loose, put some antisieze on the threads.

dirt can get inbetween the threads and make it really tight. Get a rubber mallet and tap the end of the spanner wrenches to help loosen it up.

It may be all the way lowered already?
I'm trying to raise...they are brand new and clean...
Old 12-04-09, 12:00 AM
Rides Low
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can always disassemble to bottom and spin the bottom mount too.
Old 12-04-09, 01:47 AM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

or better yet...remove them from the car and adjust

Quick Reply: Can't adjust my ride height with my coilovers