Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Rotors "Non-Servicable"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-09, 02:09 PM
cpachicka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Rotors "Non-Servicable"?

I took my 2007 IS350 in to the dealer today for my 35k service, the dealer told me that my front brake pads are at 3/32 and I will need to replace my front brake pads and rotors for the low price of 785.00. When I asked him if the rotors had to be replaced or if they could be resurfaced. He told me that with my model the brake rotors are "non-serviceable" and it was not possible to machine/resurface the rotors and that rotors always have to be replaced when the pads are.

I don't know if I"m just being cheap, but I have a nagging feeling that I probably don't have to replace the rotors. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Is it absolutely necessary to replace the rotors?
Old 11-14-09, 02:17 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

it is possible to not have to replace the rotors when you swap brake pads, but that will be dependent upon whether the rotors are resurfaceable or not. if the rotors are past the minimum resurfaceable width, then you will need new rotors.

what the minimum resurfaceable width is, someone else will have to chime in on that.
Old 11-14-09, 02:19 PM
vanson350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very odd. If your rotors have not been resurfaced yet I see no reason why they can't be done at least once. The cheaper option if you don't want the dealer to do it would be to order the parts on line and have and independent shop do it. One of my CL friends asked the dealer how much it would be to put F-Sport springs on his car and they wanted $500 for labor. He had the parts already. I helped him do it and we spent $44, well I did most of it. Part of that was the sushi I made him buy me.

Maybe someone more versed on the Lexus IS rotors can chime in but I think it's BS.
Old 11-14-09, 02:23 PM
vanson350
Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna

what the minimum resurfaceable width is, someone else will have to chime in on that.
It's the minimum thickness the rotors can be resurfaced to before they loose their structural integrity.
Old 11-14-09, 02:26 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

^ yes, but i was hoping someone knew what the actual minimum resurfaceable width measurement for is350 oem front rotors is.
Old 11-14-09, 02:28 PM
cpachicka
Driver School Candidate

I specifically asked my service advisor if it was my rotors specifically that could not be resurfaced or if it were all IS350 rotors that could not be resurfaced and he told me that in general they were all just not resurfacable. So I'm wondering if they even checked if my rotors could not be resurfaced or not.
Old 11-14-09, 02:31 PM
guitarmike
Rookie

The problem with IS rotors is that they get severely dished. By that I mean the surface of them becomes very convex. I bet if you were able to look at the front rotors you would see a large lip at the outer edge of the rotor. THe rotor can be turned, but due to the dished/convex nature of the rotors, so much material has to be taken off of the rotor that 90% of the time they are at or below minimum thickness specifications. In an effort to cover our rears we sell rotors due to the reason that rotors that are at or below minimum thickness specs tend to warp very easily. So its better for us to inform the guest that their rotors need to be replaced. Just a heads up, we have warrantied many of the first time brake job rotors. All depends on the service manager at the dealership you take your vehicle too.
Old 11-14-09, 02:39 PM
vanson350
Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna
^ yes, but i was hoping someone knew what the actual minimum resurfaceable width measurement for is350 oem front rotors is.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence.
Old 11-14-09, 03:01 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by guitarmike
The problem with IS rotors is that they get severely dished. By that I mean the surface of them becomes very convex. I bet if you were able to look at the front rotors you would see a large lip at the outer edge of the rotor. THe rotor can be turned, but due to the dished/convex nature of the rotors, so much material has to be taken off of the rotor that 90% of the time they are at or below minimum thickness specifications. In an effort to cover our rears we sell rotors due to the reason that rotors that are at or below minimum thickness specs tend to warp very easily. So its better for us to inform the guest that their rotors need to be replaced. Just a heads up, we have warrantied many of the first time brake job rotors. All depends on the service manager at the dealership you take your vehicle too.
i noticed that too when i took my 2is in for a brake issue. the disc part of the roter was worn down in such a way that the outside edge created a lip along the edge of the rotor. luckily the brake issue was covered under warranty (seized slide pin), but the rotors were resurfaceable.

Originally Posted by vanson350
Sorry, I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence.
none taken.
Old 11-14-09, 05:58 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if you do end up changing your rotors, i suggest you buy them yourself. i just changed my rotors this weekend and it cost me a total of 300 dollars for the front
Old 11-14-09, 08:45 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cpachicka
I specifically asked my service advisor if it was my rotors specifically that could not be resurfaced or if it were all IS350 rotors that could not be resurfaced and he told me that in general they were all just not resurfacable. So I'm wondering if they even checked if my rotors could not be resurfaced or not.
You don't even need to replace the pads yet, you've still got over 10% of the service life left in em...

As to the rotors, the dealer is lying, but they do that a lot to sell more parts.

Firstly, unless it's grooved or below min. spec there's no reason to touch the rotor at all, just put on new pads when they're worn out and drive on, assuming you're replacing with the same pads.

I refer you to this post, where someone else (also with 3/32 remaining pads oddly enough) got the same rotor song and dance you seem to have about the rotors needing to be replaced with pads-

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3419280-post45.html
Old 11-14-09, 08:52 PM
VF84
Pole Position

nah, it's not just lexus dealers. mb dealers do the same too. on many mb rotors, the min thickness is stamped onto the hat. what does the lexus rotor say, if any?
Old 11-14-09, 09:13 PM
haulinick
Driver School Candidate

I had the same thing happen at my 35k and I wish I knew ahead of time. Might as well swapped the oem rotors for some after market ones. After market are about the same price so why not. If they crack like people say aftermarket do just buy new oem ones next time you need pads like you would have had to do anyway. No loss whatsoever. lol
Old 11-15-09, 12:35 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarmike
My rotor looks exactly like this... I was told that I will need to have them changed when I come back for my next oil change...
Old 11-15-09, 09:00 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VF84
nah, it's not just lexus dealers. mb dealers do the same too. on many mb rotors, the min thickness is stamped onto the hat. what does the lexus rotor say, if any?
From the post I linked to here yesterday:

Minimum thickness for the front is 27.0mm and they start at 30.0mm.

Quick Reply: Brake Rotors "Non-Servicable"?