Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Are there any good write ups on LS400 brake swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 04:56 PM
lextechGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any good write ups on LS400 brake swap?

I was looking for more info on the LS400 brake upgrade. I saw a few threads about it, but nothing too detailed. From the info I gathered, it is best to use RCA's to avoid hitting the tie rod bolt. Is it ok to use RCA's only on the front if I don't want to buy the rear? Are you guys who have done the swap, using OEM calipers or aftermarket calipers? Is there any bracket required for correct fitment, or do the calipers bolt right up to the stock knuclke? Just need some more detailed info please.
Old 11-11-09, 06:19 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Front only RCA: should be ok
Caliper direct bolt on: Yes, it'll bolt up to the knuckle. no, it won't clear the tie rod.
Brackets: I've read on some Japanese sites that you need a few mm of spacers to have it be centered perfectly...but My LS400 and JZA80 calipers bolted right up.

MODS and the site owner>
If you don't want the 2GS forum to be like the IS300 section, start moderating. i'm getting seriously sick and tired of new members making a new threads all the time for the same ****.
Old 11-11-09, 06:32 PM
lextechGS
Driver

Excellent, that's good information. The only reason why I would buy RCA's for the front, is to avoid having to grind down the tie rod stud. Would installing the RCA's give me the necessary clearance to avoid hacking up that stud? As long as that's really the only obsticle, the rest of the swap should be a breeze. Also, I am guessing my Goodridge SS lines for my stock calipers will work on the LS400 swap right? I work at the dealer....things tend to be pretty easy when you have access to a lift and the right tools...esp. a brake flush machine!

Last edited by lextechGS; 11-11-09 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-11-09, 08:22 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TT > LS. Seriously, you are willing to spend a couple extra hundred dollars on RCA's just to install LS brakes? Also, are you on coilovers?
Old 11-11-09, 08:31 PM
lextechGS
Driver

Yea I don't mind spending the money on RCA's...not only will it help with fitment for the brake swap, it will also allow me to raise up the coilover for alignment reasons. Do you think the LS brake swap is a waste of money?
Old 11-11-09, 09:50 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
TT > LS. Seriously, you are willing to spend a couple extra hundred dollars on RCA's just to install LS brakes? Also, are you on coilovers?
why do you think Supras are better?
Sure, JZA80 has more options of brake pads and rotors, but if you dont need those options, I'd get the LS400. Less unsprung mass!!
Old 11-11-09, 10:23 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lextechGS
Yea I don't mind spending the money on RCA's...not only will it help with fitment for the brake swap, it will also allow me to raise up the coilover for alignment reasons. Do you think the LS brake swap is a waste of money?
No, it's an upgrade from stock.

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
why do you think Supras are better?
Sure, JZA80 has more options of brake pads and rotors, but if you dont need those options, I'd get the LS400. Less unsprung mass!!
Well, they were rated #1 oem brake system at one point, so it's not just me.
Also, they have endless AM support compared to LS and they don't add any more weight than what's already there. Regardless LS or TT is just fine for the GS. I just don't see some one spending extra cash when they can have something slightly better for less, IMO. However, OP will gain travel on the suspension, have a 4pot caliper, looks like a win to me
Old 11-12-09, 07:12 AM
kit cat

Also, they have endless AM support compared to LS and they don't add any more weight than what's already there. Regardless LS or TT is just fine for the GS. I just don't see some one spending extra cash when they can have something slightly better for less, IMO. However, OP will gain travel on the suspension, have a 4pot caliper, looks like a win to me
Assuming you're talking about the JZA80 that had a great rating by some magazine testing and recently beat by the Carrera GT, wasn't because it had a better brake booster and other components specific to the JZA80 the GS didn't have? Hell, I think the 98-00 brake booster is pretty horrible and I was under the impression that the braking distance is affected by the booster more than the caliper...but I could be misinformed. Then again, the GS does have a shorter stopping distance than a 540i too. Either way, the 4 pot OEM caliper is a huge upgrade compared to the stock IS300 setup the GS shares with.

And of course it has Endless aftermarket support for the LS400(assuming your acronym "AM" means aftermarket)
http://www.endlessusa.com/appguide/Brake%20Pads.htm
Old 11-12-09, 01:40 PM
lextechGS
Driver

Not that I have done extensive research on which swap costs more, but just looking on e-bay, the TT front brakes were going for about $800. I just picked up some authentic JDM LS front calipers with all the hardware for $270shipped. All i need now are pads and rotors. I can get cross drilled slotted rotors for about $100 for both, and since I work at the dealer, I can get OEM pads for about $45. Not to mention I already have Goodridge SS lines. Seems to me this set up is a little easier on the wallet. The lines I have will work on the new calipers right?
Old 11-12-09, 03:58 PM
quickex99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lextechGS
Not that I have done extensive research on which swap costs more, but just looking on e-bay, the TT front brakes were going for about $800. I just picked up some authentic JDM LS front calipers with all the hardware for $270shipped. All i need now are pads and rotors. I can get cross drilled slotted rotors for about $100 for both, and since I work at the dealer, I can get OEM pads for about $45. Not to mention I already have Goodridge SS lines. Seems to me this set up is a little easier on the wallet. The lines I have will work on the new calipers right?
Don't forget to add your $200+ for your RCA.

What brand RCA are you going to go with?
Old 11-12-09, 04:06 PM
lextechGS
Driver

Originally Posted by quickex99
Don't forget to add your $200+ for your RCA.

What brand RCA are you going to go with?
Even with that I think I will come out cheaper than the TT swap. Plus I am really picky about details, and I don't want my calipers to say "supra" on them. I was looking at Exact RCA's...those are actually the only ones I could find. Are there more optioins for RCA's?
Old 11-12-09, 07:11 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

$800 for TT, I guess I made out. You can get LS for even less, Aliga sells the set, loaded for $120.
Old 11-14-09, 10:58 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
Assuming you're talking about the JZA80 that had a great rating by some magazine testing and recently beat by the Carrera GT, wasn't because it had a better brake booster and other components specific to the JZA80 the GS didn't have? Hell, I think the 98-00 brake booster is pretty horrible and I was under the impression that the braking distance is affected by the booster more than the caliper...but I could be misinformed. Then again, the GS does have a shorter stopping distance than a 540i too. Either way, the 4 pot OEM caliper is a huge upgrade compared to the stock IS300 setup the GS shares with.

And of course it has Endless aftermarket support for the LS400(assuming your acronym "AM" means aftermarket)
http://www.endlessusa.com/appguide/Brake%20Pads.htm
JZA80 is just the chassis code, so it does not mean all JZA80 have the brake system I was talking about. Also, the IS and GS do not share the identical brake system as you mention, nether TT or LS calipers bolt on the IS, so that must mean there are some differences. And brake bosters does not affect the braking distance as much as you think. It's brake pedal assist more than anything. Ruuber is key, but I do enjoy a touche brake pedal.
Old 11-15-09, 07:51 PM
lextechGS
Driver

How about any good rear brake upgrades for the 2nd Gen GS? As long as I am doing the front, maybe I can upgrade the rear. Is there a compatible swap for the rear? I already have the SS lines and slotted rotors...is there a better caliper that would fit?
Old 11-15-09, 08:09 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

I think I'll ask you a starter question... why do you want to upgrade your brakes?

IMO (and this is coming from someoned who upgrade the brakes three times on his GS using OEM upgrades, Supra TT brakes and Brembo 355mm big brakes) unless you are going to take your car to the track regularly or intend on showing it at car show, a big brake upgrade is a waste of $$$. You also end up a lot of the time also having to get new wheels or spacers or both to make the brakes fit.

Bone stock the 2GS has absolutely class leading ability to stop quickly. What it does not have is great pedal feel that inspires confidence or the ability to do it over and over from high speeds. IMO you can get 75% of the benefits of big brakes by putting on SS lines, upgrading your pads and putting in quality high temp synthetic fluid like ATE or Motul.
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (11-04-18)

Quick Reply: Are there any good write ups on LS400 brake swap?