Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F-Sport shocks and springs on AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-09, 09:54 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-Sport shocks and springs on AWD?

Hey all,

Has anyone with an IS250 AWD installed the Bilstein F-Sport shocks (PTR13-53092, PTR13-53091, PTR13-53090)? Any opinions on them?

My stock shocks are blown (well, the 2 rear - may as well do all of them) and I want to replace them but am also thinking of going with the F-Sport springs. I like my road magnet springs but the drop is pretty aggressive and sometimes my fiancee drives my car... let's say she isn't used to driving a car that low, haha. Have any AWD owners done this setup? I'm looking for a comfortable ride with better handling (I like to enjoy my car but I'm not tracking it and some of the roads I have to drive on have some wicked potholes and poor workmanship). Any idea what kind of drop the AWD FSport springs give?

Just in case anyone asks; I considered coilovers but am planning on getting something a larger in 2 or 3 years.
Old 11-16-09, 12:57 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Well, i checked my.is for some reviews - i think i'll do the fsport shocks/springs combo.

You might get a kick out of this, I contacted my local lexus dealership... guess how much they wanted for shocks/springs/ and install? 3600$ ... yeah, they must think i'm an idiot or i ran over their dog on the way in or something...
Old 11-16-09, 01:04 PM
kainoa67
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got some f-sport shocks for sale if you're interested. these were used for less than 1,000 miles. in great condition.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is2...nd-shocks.html
Old 11-16-09, 02:42 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

well let me just say that you cant install the Bilstein fsport shock on the front as it is a diff set with the C-bracket. that is the reason that many coilover on the RWD dont fit the AWD. figure the stealership shouldnt know that
Old 11-16-09, 03:20 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by laobo979
well let me just say that you cant install the Bilstein fsport shock on the front as it is a diff set with the C-bracket. that is the reason that many coilover on the RWD dont fit the AWD. figure the stealership shouldnt know that
I'm not sure if I understand. So the dealership's quote was for them to try and convert the front part of the awd suspension to take the RWD fronts? It wouldn't surprise me... What I'm looking at getting are AWD Specific F-Sport shocks.
Old 11-16-09, 03:40 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

laobo979 is correct.

there are no f-sport shocks for the awd 2is. only f-sport shocks available are for the rwd variant of the 2is (is250, is350), and they can not be "converted" to fit the awd 2is. due to the awd drivetrain configuration, the front shock assemblies for the 2is are much shorter to allow for the front steering knuckles and driveshafts.

your only options are to either swap for a different set of springs or go with the awd version of BC racing coilovers for the 2is. you could order a set of f-sport shocks for only the rear, but you'd have to retain the oem shocks for the front.

slightly OT, but your dealership is acting rather irresponsible by giving you incorrect information.

--

edit: the f-sport website lists awd-specific f-sport shocks. shame on me.

Last edited by projectdna; 11-16-09 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-16-09, 03:52 PM
LEXtegra
Driver

I have the f-sport awd shocks and springs. If you download the f-sport brochure you can see that they do have the shocks for the front and the rear. You have to order the front left and front right seperate and the rear comes as a set. And being that I'm stationed overseas and do frequent driving over 100mph on the autobahn. I like them. Its a firmer ride. More sturdy. And a lil less body lean/roll.
Old 11-16-09, 04:34 PM
kainoa67
Rookie

the f-sport shocks that i'm selling are for the AWD model, these were bought directly through lexus. if you look at some picture comparisons, you can see the difference between the two. also check sewell's site, there are different models for RWD or AWD.
Old 11-16-09, 04:44 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

^ it appears according to the f-sport website there are awd f-sport shocks after all. i stand very corrected.
Old 11-16-09, 05:17 PM
LEXtegra
Driver

Yes they do. And they are also hard to come by for some reason. Lol. But the OP has the right part numbers for all four shocks. And the drop is not too aggressive with the F-Sport springs. If I remember correctly I think its one inch. Just enough not to get that annoying vibration that some people get that are slammed on AWD. But you can still clear the average curb(barely).
Old 11-16-09, 05:26 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

i stand correct too projectdna hahaha they must of just came out with it this in 09 cause when i bought my in 08 there was nothang. but i still like my coilover then Fsport spring/shock combo just cause it dont look offset with the rear lower than the front
Old 11-16-09, 05:34 PM
LEXtegra
Driver

Originally Posted by laobo979
i stand correct too projectdna hahaha they must of just came out with it this in 09 cause when i bought my in 08 there was nothang. but i still like my coilover then Fsport spring/shock combo just cause it dont look offset with the rear lower than the front
Yes that is true about the offset in the back being lower than the front. That's my only complaint about them. 2 finger gap in the back almost 3 in the front. But its just enough to clear the stupid over sized tire poppers they have at the front gate of my base. They barely touch my exhaust.