Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Does anybody GS400 Use Alot of Gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-02, 12:22 PM
houseomatics
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anybody GS400 Use Alot of Gas

My Gs400 seems to drink alot of gas I have to always get gas. I just needed to know if anyone else is having this problem
Old 04-25-02, 12:34 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

I figure, if you want to get some answers, why not switch to quantifiable statements? Why not say, "My GS is getting X miles per gallon"? "A lot of gas" means different things to different people.

My car (2001 GS430), gets ~20-22 mpg, with 50%+ freeway miles.

In the city, I would probably be getting ~17-18 mpg.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-25-02, 12:40 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

16 mpg, 90% city driving. My old lightning, 11.5. :eek: That's alot! I don't miss filling up those 35 gallon [total] tanks.
Old 04-25-02, 04:32 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

I have mixed highway/city driving and I get 21.3 mpg. This is calculated using actual miles run per odometer reading divided by actual gallons pumped to fill the tank.
Old 04-25-02, 06:46 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default That's the way to do it!

Right on whitels! I’d be willing to bet that at least 75% of the mpg figures that are quoted on CL are not calculated that way. Here’s how I do it:
Always fill up, if possible at the same pump at the same station (I know, it’s ****).
Log the mileage, I use trip A for gas mileage.
Next time you fill up, divide the miles traveled by the gallons pumped.
Over several fill-ups (assuming similar hwy/city miles) you get an extremely accurate figure that gets more accurate over time.
Mine, with aggressive all city driving is about 16 mpg.

Last edited by garnet92; 04-26-02 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-25-02, 07:42 PM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

I guess averaging 15 mpg with all the mods that I have is not so bad after all...

Aloha
Old 04-25-02, 11:17 PM
shftup
Intermediate

Default Problem .... gone.

What I did was get a professional fuel injector purge(at the dealer), and changed all of the spark plugs. This greatly helped. A huge increase because the engine is now running more efficiently.
Old 04-26-02, 02:45 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

About 16 mpg, essentially all city (tho not urban) relatively aggressive driving. No NAV ("we doan need no steenkeng NAV") so just good old fashioned miles driven/gals pumped.

You want good gas mileage, get a Civic. You want 300 horsepower, ya gotta have a lotta air and a lotta gas. I did not buy my GS to worry about gas mileage.
Old 04-26-02, 09:01 AM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

19 around in this country town. I drive slow to avoid all the pot holes!
Old 04-26-02, 10:40 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: That's the way to do it!

Originally posted by garnet92
Right on whitels! I’d be willing to bet that at least 75% of the mpg figures that are quoted on CL are not calculated that way. Here’s how I do it:
Always fill up, if possible at the same pump at the same station (I know, it’s ****).
Log the mileage, I use trip A for gas mileage.
Next time you fill up, divide the miles traveled by the gallons pumped.
Over several fill-ups (assuming similar hwy/city miles) you get an extremely accurate figure that gets more accurate over time.
Mine, with aggressive all city driving is about 16 mpg.
I think your's is more accurate because there are times when I suspect that one gas station's meter is a little bit off than the others. One needs to consider also the time when pumping gas. Morning fills usually mean relatively more gas is pumped at a given volume because of the higher density of gas with cooler temperature from the previous night. I doubt if it will amount to 0.1 variation in mileage. I have no idea.

I also use trip A when calculating mileage and trip B for oil changes. Taking meter reads has become a habit and do it everytime I fill gas. I haven't driven the GS a lot to really get a good feel on mileage when driven at different speeds. But on my previous LS, I get better MPG when the car is driven more at 80mph versus 65 mph. I will check this theory with the GS in the weeks to come.
Old 04-26-02, 11:30 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: That's the way to do it!

Originally posted by whitels

I also use trip A when calculating mileage and trip B for oil changes.
That's pretty clever, I never thought of using one of the counters to track oil changes! Kind of obvious now that you mention it...

My GS does not have a fancy computer for calculating gas mileage, I too use the old time method of dividing the miles per tank by the total gallons filled. Part of my weekly brain exercise is doing the calculation in my head. If you think alcohol kills brain cells, try having kids.
Old 04-26-02, 03:18 PM
LexFather

I avg about 16 city
Old 04-26-02, 07:13 PM
Murph
Pole Position

I average 24MPG with 90% highway at typical 70-80MPH. Sometimes I get 25MPG if I don't hit any rush hour stop and go. As I had posted in the engine subgroup, this is up from 21MPG average. I don't drive her real hard except for some ramp fun. The increase is from the K&N filter + L-Tuned exhaust.

I hope this helps

Murph
Old 04-28-02, 09:41 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

rush hour is a pain....I might get 16 to 17mpg with rush hour traffic
Old 04-29-02, 08:35 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Re: That's the way to do it!

Originally posted by redgs4

That's pretty clever, I never thought of using one of the counters to track oil changes! Kind of obvious now that you mention it...

My GS does not have a fancy computer for calculating gas mileage, I too use the old time method of dividing the miles per tank by the total gallons filled. Part of my weekly brain exercise is doing the calculation in my head. If you think alcohol kills brain cells, try having kids.
I have the Nav which has as one of its features the ability to calculate MPG. It's calculation however is a little pessimistic.

Quick Reply: Does anybody GS400 Use Alot of Gas