Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

front suspension fixes and facts

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-13, 07:29 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The main starter thread appears to be about that and all associated with the dreaded ball joint creaking.
Old 11-12-13, 01:14 PM
Gears12
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Enigmatic
Hey everyone, instead of starting a new thread I thought I would just post here. I have a GS300 with 110,000 or so miles on the odometer.

I recently got my GS serviced (September) and they said that the suspension looked fine. They did a full inspection. Well, everything seemed fine until the last couple days when I would either be stopped or driving slowly and turning the wheel. When I would turn the wheel this HORRIBLE creaking/clunking noise comes about. It sounds just like the terrible noises in these videos:

http://youtu.be/IxtMFp6za-I
http://youtu.be/V8R54Me4oLM

The mechanic said my ball-joints looked fine when they inspected it. What should I do? Bring it back and tell them to look at the suspension again? Or is this something that someone can put a finger on right now, or at least lead me down the right track?

Thanks!
I know this is an old post but I wanted to try and help others. The ball joints on these cars are extremely hard to troubleshoot. They appear to be tight when worn. I had several mechanics look at my GS300 and nobody caught the worn ball joints. I checked them myself and did not feel any looseness. I was lucky one day and jacked up the car with an ex-mechanic friend of mine and we heard one of the lowers make a popping noise. He took a pry bar and wedged it between the LCA and the spindle and thats how we saw the movement. The only theory I can think of for the difficulty in troubleshooting is that the front suspension on these cars must have a lot of tension / pressure on them (possibly due to SLA control arm layout?). The suspension tension keeps the ball joints taught on a light load, but when in driving conditions they move around by popping and creaking. This might be why they do not show any play when checking them the usual way.

These cars are very well built and will last a long time. However, the front end problems can drive you nuts during the process! I still believe that certain parts of this suspension are of a very poor design. The lower control arms/ castor arms are first on my list. There are more bad actors as well.

I hope this helps,
Gears
Old 11-12-13, 01:15 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

This threads been going so long I've forgot how it started. I was getting a front end clunk. Turned out to be the bushings in SPC ucas. They were version ones. I would never recommend them, although peoe seem to be happy with the version twos.

EDIT: And this was after replacing the LBJs sway bar end links, new rack with tie rods, sway bar bushings, and new LCA #2s.

Last edited by Blanco; 11-12-13 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-10-13, 09:37 AM
silverbul
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey guys. I think I mite have the answer to the clunk. I have a silver 98 GS400. I've replaced every front end component that you guys mention. Upper, both lower control arms, sway bar links, rack bushings, lower ball joints, experimented with daizen bushings & still had the clunk. My clunk went away 2yrs ago when I replaced my rack & pinion. Then after replacing the rack, found out inner tie rods will cause clunk. Still to this day & 238k miles later. Still running strong & no more CLUNK!
Old 10-11-15, 10:15 AM
bachde
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hi friends!

I had my gs400 put on the front and rear tanabe spring and KYR shocks...
The rear look decent low, but in front is too low... the front tires look deep into the fender.. this is non adjustable shocks not coilover...

I have on LS400 calipers and of course there are rca spacers
are those spacers the reason?

please help!

thanks
Old 10-12-15, 07:49 AM
zenki300
Driver

Bachde, the short answer to your question is, yes, the RCAs will lower your front end a little bit if you are using them to run the LS400 calipers. If you're using for example, 30mm RCAs, then your front end will be lower by 30mm.