Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Here's a question (coilovers vs. springs)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-09, 06:46 PM
Lexi D
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's a question (coilovers vs. springs)

I want to lower my 350 and was going to go with springs (eibach), but now I'm thinking coilovers (megan).

What are some of the pros and cons of each application?
Old 09-06-09, 12:09 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

you can adjust the ride height with coilovers. on certain models such as the megan racing LP's, you can even adjust the dampening rate.

you can't adjust the height setting of lowering springs, but it's "set it and forget it".

what's your budget?
Old 09-06-09, 08:53 AM
Lexi D
Driver

I know a good set of coilovers is going to be over a G+ and then getting them installed. I would just save up some cash and then get whatever I want. Getting the F-sport intake and exhaust next week more then likely. Meeting member to hear in person.
Old 09-06-09, 02:49 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I highly recommend getting coilovers. I had the same debate about which choice was better, springs or coilovers. I wondered if paying more $$$ for the coilovers would be worth it, as I doubted I would ever adjust my ride height once the coilovers were installed. Well, since I've had my TEIN coilovers, I've adjusted the dampers and ride height several times, and am exrtremely glad I had the ability to adjust my suspension.
Go for the coilovers!!
Old 09-06-09, 03:49 PM
phongh
Lead Lap

Go for coilovers. look on classified section. I think somebody is selling them for $600 with 5k on them.
Old 09-06-09, 06:07 PM
loftus112
Pole Position

How come no one is giving him the cons of owning coilovers. Yea it's great to have them and have the option to be adjustable however, it's not worth it in my opinion unless you're loaded of course.

First the initial cost is $500+ more than springs, then after a certain amount of mileage the struts/shocks are going to blow so you need to pay the additional cost of remounting the coilovers, 1-2weeks of downtime for the coilovers to be rebuild by sending them back (unless you pay to have the stocks put back), then once you get them back you have to install them back again and redo alignment again. Not worth the hassle and cost in my book.
Old 09-07-09, 11:16 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a 350 and put the eibach 250 springs on. it drops it a little more. from what i hear unless you have the money, go to the track, or just really want your car slammed get coils. if you just want a mild drop, slightly better handle, and have it look more apealing to the eye get springs, i got springs and love them. if i were to ever get coils i personaly am going to wait a little bit to make sure i have the money for wheels too
Old 09-07-09, 11:28 AM
Lexi D
Driver

What are some of the cons for springs? It sounds like coils are going to be most $ to maintain. Is there are marked difference in performance between the two?
Old 09-07-09, 11:40 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

1. lack of adjustability (ride height, dampening).
2. will cause premature wear and tear on oem shocks.

btw, you don't need to rebuild coilovers as often as some members have alluded to, but they will require rebuilding after a certain distance that's usually recommended by the coilovers' manufacturer.
Old 09-07-09, 11:47 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only cons of running spring that i have come across would be the cost if you were to have them installed. i was lucky to get some of a cl member on his stack shock assembly and i did the swap myself. and possible clunking with certain springs. but the clunking noise can easily be fixed by putting the rubbers silencers on the coils, other than that i think they are perfect if you dont need something super aggresive i found the car to have less body roll and hold better in corning.
Old 09-07-09, 12:46 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Another con to aftermarket springs is all the ones I'm aware of are progressive springs, not linear... so like 'all season' tires it's a compromise that's great at nothing, and it will shorten shock life a bit... Since most folks doing springs are more concerned about wheel gap than real performance this isn't that big a deal for most of them though...

Lobuxracer has suggested that the factory sport springs are probably pretty close to the correct height for optimal actual performance (as opposed to what feels or looks good) and going much lower might well put the cars roll center below ground (and as a bonus, they're linear) but they don't give you a slammed look, so they're not terribly popular.
Old 09-07-09, 01:00 PM
RCPnoi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by loftus112
How come no one is giving him the cons of owning coilovers. Yea it's great to have them and have the option to be adjustable however, it's not worth it in my opinion unless you're loaded of course.

First the initial cost is $500+ more than springs, then after a certain amount of mileage the struts/shocks are going to blow so you need to pay the additional cost of remounting the coilovers, 1-2weeks of downtime for the coilovers to be rebuild by sending them back (unless you pay to have the stocks put back), then once you get them back you have to install them back again and redo alignment again. Not worth the hassle and cost in my book.
Frankly you pay for what you get.

most of the people i know aren't loaded but you do have to save to get a fair set of coilovers.

The reason why i always reccomend going for coilovers is the fact that there are less cons.

If you just swap out springs, yeah you save money on the initial cost
1 those springs aren't designed for those shocks. the stock spring and shock work together and are designed with the spring travel and spring rate and so by replacing just the spring you end up with premature failure of the stock shocks.
2 another is like the other guys have been saying is you can't adjust the ride height after installation.
3 and installation in itself, instead of just removing the whole assembly and replacing it you have to disassemble the shocks so you can replace the springs.

So you get more work as far as labor and you'll end spending more money down the line due to premature failure of the shocks and installtion if you've never worked on anything

as far as coilovers
yeah they get expensive, the cheapest i've seen are around 800 but they are well worth it.
installation is remove and replace, you get control of the ride height, dampening on most and upper camber for some.
once they wear down, its a matter of getting them rebuilt which i've seen some companies do it for around $60 per shock.
I've had my Megan LP Coilovers for about a 2 years now and more than 10K on them and i see no problem with them at all, keep in mind that i also drive the SHIETE outta my car, i did babie it when i first got it, but once i installed some suspension mods, all that went out the window.

so i believe the benefits of the coilovers outweight the benefits of the springs which all it is is cost
Old 09-07-09, 04:16 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by loftus112

you talk about the struts getting blown but even with spring you get the same thang either way you go. some coilover's you have to send in to get rebuild and other like BCR you just buy a cartidge for $90 DIY and your done. doing the install yourself is easy and save you the money so that you can get coilover's it only took me 2hr with a buddy simple swap in and out
Old 09-07-09, 07:48 PM
Lexi D
Driver

Tons of great feedback on the two! Thanks to all for posting. Unfortunitly I'm just as undecided as i was before. Maybe I'll just go springs for now and if I want more I can always go coils. Thanks again.

Side note.........hooked up with a CL member today to hear the F-sport intake and exhaust in person. SOLD!! Will order this week.

Sweet made "rookie"!
Old 09-07-09, 09:47 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

^ and there will be those to tell you to "go with coilovers and slam that btch you won't regret it blah blah blah." don't bother with the parrots or the monkeys that give uninformed, biased (read: useless) suggestions.

yes, coilovers do need periodic service in the form of rebuilding. however, how long in between periodic services depends on your driving habits and type of driving that you do (street, race, or both). for the majority of us who don't track our cars, we don't need to look at rebuilding coilovers until there is an obvious, noticeable compromise in handling abilities. in majority of cases, that may come a lot later than sooner - unless you hit a pothole from hell, but i digress... exactly how much later or sooner, i wouldn't be able to tell you. however, i would imagine that they would last as long as 30k miles or more if driven regularly (with the occasional spirited maneuvers), and maybe even longer if babied. with track driving, that number will drop significantly.

rebuilding will require removal of the coilovers, which means if you can't do it, you'll need to pay a shop to do it. same with getting the coilovers back from rebuilding. and then there's the cost of rebuildling coilovers. imo these are unavoidable costs that come with the territory. if you want to play, you have to pay.

when weighing the two options, consider your budget and your needs. do you have the money for coilovers now? if not, when can you afford coilovers? do you really need the functionality of coilovers? do you really need to have the ride height dialed in at an exact height? or can you get by with a certain fixed height for your ownership period?

again, don't bother with opinions from monkeys and parrots in this forum. get your facts right, do a lot of research (here and around the internet), and make an informed decision based on your budget and your need.

good luck, and keep us informed.

Quick Reply: Here's a question (coilovers vs. springs)