Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake pads: Project mu vs Endless

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-09, 11:05 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake pads: Project mu vs Endless

Here are the brake pads I went through...

EBC Green = hated them
Hawk HPS = awesome but squeaks
And I'm back on OEM now...they're...alright, I guess.

My R1 Concept rotors are warped now so I'm looking to get new rotors+pads.

Does anyone have any first hand experience comparing between Project mu NS and Endless Vita Nuova? Not looking to spend a lot, just want something that's a slight upgrade from stock and quiet. Open to suggestions also.
Old 08-05-09, 11:31 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I've heard good things about Akebono ProACT Ceramics.. There at tirerack for 61.00 +shipping..

I have EBC greenstuff pads also.. There ok but with SS lines and Brembo slotted i feel that i should be stopping better.. Also someone else mentioned that it maybe the pads causing this popping sound when backing out of driveway and that the pads need to "Float " in the caliper.. I really don't think my pads move at all.. They have built in shimmies but the pad maybe to thick..

Try the Akebonos...
Old 08-05-09, 11:51 PM
kit cat

aren't akebono OEM?
I didn't even know they do aftermarket...

I have the same metal-to-metal "popping" noise now but I'm almost certain that's my rotors moving around...
Old 08-05-09, 11:56 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
aren't akebono OEM?
I didn't even know they do aftermarket...

I have the same metal-to-metal "popping" noise now but I'm almost certain that's my rotors moving around...
I beleive they are. ****************** has them under "replacement"..

Anyway here is copy and paste of the thread i was talking about..

I took it back to the dealership this morning, and had the service manager and their best technician ride with me so they could hear the noise. The technician even got behind the wheel and played around to determine exactly what it is. He was almost positive that it was the brakes.

Sure enough, 5 hours later they said the cause of the problem is all the aftermarket parts on the braking system. They said that the brakes pads are supposed to float a little bit, but what is happening is that one side is locking while the other is sliding. This is because the shim kit and fit kit, the rotors and the pads are all aftermarket.

Total cost for shim kit, fit kit, rotors, and pads...$750.00

They checked the door lock actuators too. I was quoted a price of $2,200.00 for all four doors.

I found regular Akebonos on APW for 63.95.. They have free shipping..
Old 08-06-09, 09:47 AM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you hate squeaking, you are going to hate the endless pads.

i drove an RSX w/ upgraded brake kit that had endless pads. driving in stop and go traffic and parking downtown, i had about 1/2 a dozen ppl commenting i needed new brakes because it was squealing so bad.

my previous work use to sell project mu products, but was a hard sell for the price. there is no question of the quality, but at the price they ask for them, its a hard justification for customers to dish the money out.
Old 08-06-09, 10:16 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

You must do some hard driving to get those rotors warped

Akebono ACT is great as an OEM replacement. But if you're expecting some Axxis Ultimate grip and such, then you might not find it there.
Old 08-06-09, 11:36 AM
kit cat

I don't drive hard at all, just POS rotors IMO.

and thanks for the insight on Endless pads SorrGwa. project mus are tad more pricier but I hope it's worth it.

GSteg> I'm on OEM now but looking to get a little more initial grab so no on the akebono :P
Old 08-06-09, 12:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm surprised. My R1s been holding well with all the stop and go and highway braking that I do. Then again I'm running OEM pads so they aren't as aggressive. Maybe that has something to do with it.
Old 08-06-09, 02:06 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by GSteg
I'm surprised. My R1s been holding well with all the stop and go and highway braking that I do. Then again I'm running OEM pads so they aren't as aggressive. Maybe that has something to do with it.
I'm on OEM pads with R1 Concepts also.

I've had nothing but issues with R1 Concepts. The first set of rotors they sent me were drilled too big for the stud, it took them days to pick up my phone call or respond to my email, and the second pair they sent me started to warp after a few months.

I'm looking at Rotora blanks or if I want to shell a bit more, Brembo blanks.
Old 08-06-09, 02:06 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up some rear OE pads. I was told Sumitomo makes OE pads.
Old 08-06-09, 02:17 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
Here are the brake pads I went through...

EBC Green = hated them
Hawk HPS = awesome but squeaks
And I'm back on OEM now...they're...alright, I guess.

My R1 Concept rotors are warped now so I'm looking to get new rotors+pads.

Does anyone have any first hand experience comparing between Project mu NS and Endless Vita Nuova? Not looking to spend a lot, just want something that's a slight upgrade from stock and quiet. Open to suggestions also.
i had the endless vita nuova with my old car ('99 TL). it's alrite, nothing to rave about. if you are going to get endless, i'd recommend you get the M-Sport or Y-Sport pads instead.

http://endlessusa.com/category.php?c=brakepad
Old 08-06-09, 02:23 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SorrGwa
if you hate squeaking, you are going to hate the endless pads.

i drove an RSX w/ upgraded brake kit that had endless pads. driving in stop and go traffic and parking downtown, i had about 1/2 a dozen ppl commenting i needed new brakes because it was squealing so bad.

my previous work use to sell project mu products, but was a hard sell for the price. there is no question of the quality, but at the price they ask for them, its a hard justification for customers to dish the money out.
interesting, i had no problems with squealing when i had both the endless vita nuova pads and the endless type NA-M (now called endless m-sport). are you sure your upgraded brake kit wasn't a high performance endless brake pad used for circuit or track? i believe those endless pads do squeal...
Old 08-06-09, 04:22 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i personally hate the OEM and Hawk pads...the low speed braking noise is almost insulting. sounds like my car is a whale.

ProACT's FTW if you want low dust and no noise. they're not designed for autocross or track use, just everyday driving!

and yes, i work for their engineering center and i am in no way shape or form bias towards them

and no, i can't hook you up with pads. i've already tried to get sales to get a group buy going and...well, no luck AT ALL.
Old 08-06-09, 04:41 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I have the Endless Vita Nuevo for my fronts.. Supra TT..

Performance is good for what it is.. Bites hard and is virtually silent. no sqeels.. no nothin.
Old 08-06-09, 09:08 PM
clevercat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Project mu NS would serve you right.

Quick Reply: Brake pads: Project mu vs Endless