Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How much should dealer charge for new brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-09, 10:18 AM
vertcobra9
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much should dealer charge for new brakes?

Hi guys,

I am about to bring my 2006 IS350 for new break pads... hopefully I can avoid getting new rotors. I need front and rear break pads... my dealership I am sure is going to try to rape me on the price. Unfortunately I can't do it myself because I lack the time and tools necessary to do it. How much do you think would be a fair price to replace both front and rear break pads?

what about if I needed rotors... what would be a good price for rotors and pads?

Thanks guys!
Old 08-05-09, 11:15 AM
NYCIS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid 300 for new front brakes and resurface rotors.....find a coupon for 10% and your in better shape
Old 08-05-09, 11:23 AM
vanson350
Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by vertcobra9
Hi guys,

I am about to bring my 2006 IS350 for new break pads... hopefully I can avoid getting new rotors. I need front and rear break pads... my dealership I am sure is going to try to rape me on the price. Unfortunately I can't do it myself because I lack the time and tools necessary to do it. How much do you think would be a fair price to replace both front and rear break pads?

what about if I needed rotors... what would be a good price for rotors and pads?

Thanks guys!
It all depends on how many breaks they take when they are putting on your brakes.
Old 08-05-09, 11:23 AM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

i think changing the break pads should be very easy. you can find any shops and they can pretty much do the job for you and for a cheaper price. if you know a friend thats even better. for my friend's uncle, he only charge me like 10 - 20 dollars on installation and the price for buying the pads or rotors for all 4 wheels.
Old 08-05-09, 12:33 PM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dealers in colorado charged 350 for fronts and 340 for rears. I think that's without changin the rotors. I couldn't afford it at the time so I got it done at just brakes for 350 total for all four.
Old 08-05-09, 12:38 PM
OOO_ROB
Pole Position

Thats pretty Damn expensive... Are you braking making that Squeking noise.
Old 08-05-09, 03:06 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

they charge alot... if you want oem. just buy the brakes from the dealer and take it to your local shop and spend the 50bucks for them to swap the old ones out. or do it yourself, its pretty easy, theres a diy on here somewhere.
Old 08-05-09, 03:06 PM
newis350
Pole Position

Looking to do the exact same thing. Local dealer in Santa Clarita quoted me $600 for both front and back, includes resurfacing rotors and pads.

I called the local Toyota dealer, and was quoted $180 for the labor including turning the rotors.

I am thinking about changing the OEM pads with EBC "Red" pads. However, the EBC pads are about $200 for the front and back. While the OEM pads (front and back) are about $140 from Sewell.
Old 08-06-09, 10:33 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Buying brake pads at the dealership is like buying tires at the dealership. It's the most expensive way to do it. I would order the pads online and install them myself since it's easier than just about anything else. If you absolutely can't do it, then find a local auto shop (not a chain) to install the pads that you provide. I would also make sure that they do NOT resurface the rotors. If the rotors are in bad enough shape to need resurfacing (they rarely are), then you should just order new rotors online. The cost of resurfacing rotors isn't just the price of cutting them, it's also a big deferrred cost in wasted brake pad material and reduced rotor life.
Old 08-06-09, 01:14 PM
homerjay42
Rookie

I haven't changed my IS brakes, but I typically just changes pads and leave the rotors as is. After 3 or 4 pad changes, I typically change the rotors (unless they wear down faster). Occassionally, I will have the rotors cut, but more times than not, I skip that part.
Old 08-08-09, 02:47 PM
Kevin.IS
Lexus Test Driver

I was told by the dealership $425 for front brake pads and resurfacing the rotor. I went a different route and ask my boy to help me order oem brake pads and oem new rotors for both my front which came out to be only $250. Then I paid a shop $60 to install it. $310 for the whole thing which saved me well over $100. Keep in mind I got new rotor and not resurfaced one. I think they would've charged $700 for new rotors and brake pads.
Old 08-09-09, 02:50 PM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

=.= wow, that expensive, why don't you just buy a new set then?
Old 08-10-09, 11:29 AM
vertcobra9
Driver

thanks for all the input guys... I decided to go by the dealer to just get an idea of how much they were going to charge...

Get this...

they wanted 600 dollars to replace my front and rear break pads... with nothing else...

I laughed and I just bought my pads from I-tuned

Does anyone know how hard the DIY is? I don't want to mess it up and have squeeky breaks or have to get it towed someplace.
Old 08-10-09, 04:14 PM
homerjay42
Rookie

I have changed many a break pad and it is easy. Granted I haven't recently kept a car long enough to change pads. When you install the pads, put some lube on the back of the pads. I forget the name exactly, just ask someone at autozone. It helps to prevent squeeky breaks. Also, make sure you have a clamp to depress the piston. Just put the clamp against the old pad and tighten slowly. The piston will push back in and then you slide the new pads in.
Old 08-11-09, 06:50 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vertcobra9
thanks for all the input guys... I decided to go by the dealer to just get an idea of how much they were going to charge...

Get this...

they wanted 600 dollars to replace my front and rear break pads... with nothing else...

I laughed and I just bought my pads from I-tuned

Does anyone know how hard the DIY is? I don't want to mess it up and have squeeky breaks or have to get it towed someplace.
Did you ask if that would include a reach-around?

Quick Reply: How much should dealer charge for new brakes?