Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Boots leaking? Steering Rack(Rack and Pinion) Replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 08:13 PM
Trucho
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered new bushings, reman rack and outer tie rods. Ready to tackle this shiznit!!
Old 01-26-14, 10:07 PM
Trucho
Rookie

Finished this weekend.......not to bad actually lol.
Old 02-01-14, 09:19 AM
Slid3ways
Driver School Candidate

Nice write up. Appreciate this. Im about to replace mine so now i guess i wont get stumped anywhere.
Old 02-09-14, 07:56 PM
GTX580
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for the write up.

Just unbolted everything, waiting for my bushings.

anyone know how hard is it to push the new rack back on the steering spline?
Old 02-17-14, 11:42 AM
Trucho
Rookie

I had lots of trouble getting the spline to mate up to rack. But I did do the job myself... I had to unwind the clockspring as a result as it spinned the steering wheel.
Old 04-19-14, 07:43 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by D3AN
The rack and pinion at autozone is $220 + core($150) this means that you will have to pay $370 upfront, but when the part comes(you have to order it) give them your old rack and pinion and they will reimburse you $150.
Bumping an old thread. AutoZone's current price on the Duralast (part #8592) is $246 + $134 for the core, but most significantly, they have a promotion for the next two days (not sure how long it's been running, I just saw it) of a $25 gift card for every $100 spent on ship-to-home items.

I don't know if the core charge would be eligible for a gift card tier, but at either 2 or 3 x $25, that puts their rack and pinion in the same price range as the cheapest on eBay (seller: detroitaxle), but buying local should make the mechanic happier if not DIY'ing it.

Edit: core charges are excluded in the fine print, so just $50 off with the current special.

Last edited by t2d2; 04-19-14 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-25-14, 01:05 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I just started on this job today. I got stuck at the point of separating the tie rod ends from the socket. Maybe it's the unit I bought, but my brand new pitman arm puller isn't tight enough to get a grasp on the bottom of the sockets.

I've managed to 'fenagle' it enough to somewhat of a gap between the tie rod and socket. Would it be a bad idea to get a pickle fork and wedge it in there to leverage the thing out?

I do have it soaking in PB blaster right now while I take the rest of the day to cool.

***Edit: Advance Auto sells two sizes. One labeled for pitman arms, one labeled for tie rod ends. I ended up buying the larger. Going tomorrow to exchange.

Last edited by MongooseGA; 05-25-14 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-28-14, 10:25 PM
PericoSC
Driver School Candidate

Just finished this job, thanks for write up
Old 06-04-14, 01:03 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Anyone have a trick to access the bolts for the feed and return lines? I thought maybe if I got the tie rod ends off fist, I could hang the rack down and get above it that way but it didn't really work out how I thought it would.

Also my new tie rod ends were just delivered today. One with a castle nut and cotter pin, the other with a lock nut. Should I swap the lock nutted unit out with the vendor for a unit using a castle nut?
Old 06-12-14, 07:01 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

After leaving the car sitting on jacks for a good while, a buddy and I got the old rack out and new one in today. Having done it now, I could do it again pretty easily on another SC. I'd suggest doing the work in the following order:

1) Remove tie rod ends from knuckles. (I found it was much easier for me to do this once I'd removed the calipers.)
2) Remove all bushing bolts (three bushings).
3) Remove spline lock from the top of the engine. It's pretty easy to reach a 12mm gear wrench on the bolt and finish it off by hand.
4) Unclip the plastic electrical connection, which is right next to the spline lock bolt.
5) PULL the rack down. It was really helpful to my my friend watching from the top while I pulled on the bottom. After a few good yanks, it came off. No real drama.
5) Now that the rack is basically hanging out of the car, the fluid feed and return lines are right in front of you.

Install in the reverse order. Because of the way the hard lines are bent for the fluid feed/return, I found it easiest to remove the rubber hose from the hard line that wasn't crimped on. Just take a pair of pliers and scoot it up the hose a few inches. Also, install the line that is crimped first. For easy bonus points, loosen up the clamp that holds the two lines together a little further toward the front of the car so you can manipulate the lines more easily.

I have new tie rod ends to install on the new rack, and I don't feel like dicking with removing the lock nut on the old units anymore to reuse it. I'm going to swing by a specialty hardware store tomorrow to buy two new ones. Then I can put the new tie rod ends on, put the calipers back on, wheels, fluid flush, and alignment.
Old 07-12-14, 05:40 PM
DJ8684
Rookie

Great write up!
Old 08-03-14, 01:07 AM
islexusred
Pole Position

hey guys sorry to bump an old tread! just received a used rack and pinion off of the classified section. my question is, is there a grease fitting port to put some grease in or just the power steering fluid gonna provide all the necessary lube needed?
Old 03-19-15, 08:44 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Additional tip:

The steering shaft has a short connecting piece with 12mm bolts. Loosen the bolt near the firewall and remove the other bolt which is at the rack end. Slide the connecting rod up and that will separate the rack from the steering rod. Rack will come out easy.

When you put serviced/new rack in you dont have to worry about the connecting rod. Just center the rack and secure it in place. Center the steering, pull the connecting rod up and then slide it down on to the geared shaft of the rack.

If the wheel is not centered, you can reposition the connecting shaft and make the two ends conform.

Torque 26 ft-lb

With the above trick, one can do the job solo.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 03-19-15 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-21-15, 02:12 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 207 Posts

You can use a vacuum pump to bleed the system as well. They are about $35.00 at Auto Zone.

Steve
Old 06-15-15, 02:09 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Sub'd I know its an old thread but I need this info for future reference

Quick Reply: Boots leaking? Steering Rack(Rack and Pinion) Replacement DIY